Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Foul Ball Policy

zooski43
School: Appalachian State

Foul Ball Policy

Unread post by zooski43 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:21 pm

My son and I have recently started taking in several ASU baseball games. We've been to several college and minor league games, but one thing is distinctly different about watching a game at ASU. If a ball is fouled off out of play, it better be turned in to the concession stand immediately, or the ball boys will track you down. Almost everywhere we've been, it is asked that foul balls be turned in for a prize, but APP is the only place we've seen where they come looking for the people who have them. (And at one time, kids got a sucker and a ASU baseball bracelet for turning them in.) Are times really so hard in Boone that the athletics department feels they need to track down every ball, taking them away from even small children? Just curious. Once upon a time, the highlight of a small child's trip to the ball park was the chance to come home with an awesome souvenir to show his or her friends.

Boone Goon

Re: Foul Ball Policy

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sat May 06, 2017 7:41 am

I haven't been to an App game yet, but this is very common in college baseball. As we get more fans into the park it will both become harder to figure out who has it AND the gate revenue will make a $10 ball easier for the university to part with.

Would definitely hope App would do rubber bracelets or blowpops as a replacement for our young fans. That's what is done at the USA Baseball complex in Cary.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat May 06, 2017 7:45 am

I recall seeing a stat that in the average 9 inning MLB game, 65 balls are used.

At $100/box of 12, that's $550 per game or $1,650/ 3 game series just in balls.

In College, especially at small budget institutions like us, every dollar counts. Those balls recovered, may or may not make their way back into the game, but they are used for practice.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat May 06, 2017 11:25 am

The teams get somewhere between 20-30 new balls per game. With the area Smith Stadium is in, some foul balls are lost and can't be found.

When I worked summer league, we got a shipment of new balls regularly, 24 per game (with a 60-game season, that's 1,440 balls). You use new balls every single game. We had a play-in game for the playoffs the day after the regular season, so I had to meet one of the league office reps halfway (an hour each way) to pick up the balls.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sat May 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Almost every college venue I've been to you had to turn in the foul balls.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Unfortunately, it's common practice and the school can't afford not to.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat May 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Get some nerf baseballs with A on them, no advertising, and trade it for the real ball. OR...... Get a corporate sponsor to buy the balls and be the only school that lets the kids keep the foul balls. Announce between innings balls supplied by
Sponsors by season, half season or even by game.
can you tell I am bored tonight?

Appersrule

Unread post by Appersrule » Mon May 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Professional sports can afford it, alas college and HS cannot. This is not an App policy, but one throughout college baseball.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”