At UTA

User avatar
APPARJ
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by APPARJ » Tue May 08, 2018 6:03 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:52 pm
People who criticize people for criticism are worse than those who bring up criticism in the first place.

It's okay to ask questions, especially when the team was on pace for their worst record in over 13 years. And I think those of us who were critical are glad the team is doing well now.
Smooches!

I saw a lot of people asking good questions in 13-14. Questions like “where should we place the For Sale sign in Woody’s yard?”

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, it’s fun to see people ride the wave of emotion vs trusting the process and then claim they were simply curious about the process after it starts working. :-)


Image ImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
APPARJ
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by APPARJ » Tue May 08, 2018 6:06 pm

firemoose wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:48 pm
I think this post to WataugaMan from the first series back in Feb is pretty clear.
firemoose wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm
Not offended. Honestly don't care one bit. I was making a joke based on past history with people on this board. I will choose my evaluation time of this team on my own and others can choose to do whatever they want to. And I don't have to give a flying flip what they think and they don't have to give two s#%&s what I think. That's what makes this country great. ;)
I have never once said people can't have an opinion or be critical. Just as stated, it's what makes the country great that we can all say whatever we want. And ain't that what a message board is for? My comment that got referenced was more about people being hypocritical than critical. And not just in baseball but most things on the board, especially over the past couple of years. We lose and posters come out of the woodwork to give us play by play comments. We win and it's crickets a lot of the time. If constant negativity does indeed give one a hunchback then there must be a lot of Quasimodo's running around out there in App State gear. :lol:
Understand, Moose. There’s only one type of criticism allowed: frantic! Off with their heads!


Image ImageImage
ImageImage

WataugaMan
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 316 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm

If we were not allowed to be critical or speak up, our football schedule would still contain teams like west carolina, Mercer, Samford, etc. and we would be playing with home crowds of around 15K.



User avatar
APPARJ
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by APPARJ » Tue May 08, 2018 8:39 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm
If we were not allowed to be critical or speak up, our football schedule would still contain teams like west carolina, Mercer, Samford, etc. and we would be playing with home crowds of around 15K.
I have to echo Moose here. Who in the world is saying people can’t be critical? This is a message board.


Image ImageImage
ImageImage

TheMackAttack
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:46 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Iowa City, IA
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Wed May 09, 2018 1:08 am

APPARJ wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:39 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm
If we were not allowed to be critical or speak up, our football schedule would still contain teams like west carolina, Mercer, Samford, etc. and we would be playing with home crowds of around 15K.
I have to echo Moose here. Who in the world is saying people can’t be critical? This is a message board.

Nobody, it's a deliberate misinterpretation by people with no actual argument to stand on. I'm perfectly fine with constructive criticism but we don't do that here. We don't acknowledge our own faults as a fan base and how they affect the strength of our athletic programs. This message board has really absurd expectations for Smith and had them for Fox as well. Look at our history in basketball and baseball and tell me how exactly we can expect consistent postseason play? We pay lip service to it, but we don't fund the programs the way they need to be and we don't show up as a fan base to support the players. We get exactly what we deserve. If we want the programs to improve, we need to fully fund them all, pony up for facilities, and put butts in seats to support the athletes.


Image

WataugaMan
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 316 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 am

Moose I've sent you a private message, please let me know if you've received it, thx.



User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 6708
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 654 times
Been thanked: 2885 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by firemoose » Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 am
Moose I've sent you a private message, please let me know if you've received it, thx.
Nothing is showing in my in box. Check the outbox and see if it's showing a number and also look in sent messages to see if it's there. Sometimes they don't come through. Try sending it again and I'll let you know when I get it.



User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4833
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 839 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm

I have said that people are being attacked for being critical, not that their opinions are being silenced. Criticism and disloyalty are being seen in the same light.

And then when the team wins, there's a joy in shoving crow in the critical people's mouths to punish them for their apparent disloyalty that is unhealthy.

When your program hasn't won more than 20 games in a season for several seasons in a row, it's frustrating. When the program was on pace for its worst record in over a decade, it's worth asking questions. Through that, we got the news of the rash of injuries, which I appreciate.

One thing I've noticed in App programs is that in the process of rebuilding, which we've had to endure too much in the last few years due to decisions made 5-10 years ago, it sometimes doesn't work. It didn't work with softball as the coach lost the team along the way. It worked in football. It's still up in the air for both basketball programs. It worked in field hockey. It's starting to work in volleyball. It looks to be working in women's tennis. We're about to see it in track and field.



User avatar
APPARJ
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed May 09, 2018 4:27 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm
I have said that people are being attacked for being critical, not that their opinions are being silenced. Criticism and disloyalty are being seen in the same light.

And then when the team wins, there's a joy in shoving crow in the critical people's mouths to punish them for their apparent disloyalty that is unhealthy.

When your program hasn't won more than 20 games in a season for several seasons in a row, it's frustrating. When the program was on pace for its worst record in over a decade, it's worth asking questions. Through that, we got the news of the rash of injuries, which I appreciate.

One thing I've noticed in App programs is that in the process of rebuilding, which we've had to endure too much in the last few years due to decisions made 5-10 years ago, it sometimes doesn't work. It didn't work with softball as the coach lost the team along the way. It worked in football. It's still up in the air for both basketball programs. It worked in field hockey. It's starting to work in volleyball. It looks to be working in women's tennis. We're about to see it in track and field.
Criticism of a criticism isn't necessarily an attack. I believe it's foolish to suggest coaching changes in basketball or baseball for more than one reason. Is that an attack on those advocating for coaching changes?

Again, this is a message board.


Image ImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 13756
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 892 times
Been thanked: 893 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by hapapp » Wed May 09, 2018 7:14 pm

The basketball debate was more about whether to extend or not. Few, if any, I believe we're calling for Fox's dismissal. And, I don't recall anyone throwing in the towel on Smith. People have been frustrated and perhaps impatient with baseball this season but I think it a stretch to suggest folks were ready to run the coach out of town.



WataugaMan
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 316 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed May 09, 2018 7:21 pm

firemoose wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 am
Moose I've sent you a private message, please let me know if you've received it, thx.
Nothing is showing in my in box. Check the outbox and see if it's showing a number and also look in sent messages to see if it's there. Sometimes they don't come through. Try sending it again and I'll let you know when I get it.
Just checked and my message has simply disappeared. It's been a long day at work, getting late, etc., therefore, I'll send a fast reply to your PM here (short version):

I realize that you were not signaling me out, you were simply expressing a point. A point, may I add that I agree with, speak your mind and let things lay where they may. Therefore, we're good/cool.

You did not imply this, but, I never once asked for a coaching change or expressed unrealistic expectations. I just wanted us to be somewhat competitive and at the time we were not. Things have gotten better of late, just hope the momentum can be maintained.

I appreciate the points you brought up concerning some hidden issues (mainly recruiting) Coach Smith is dealing with. These issues along with the learning curve from coaching Div II to Div I should resolves themselves over time.

To close, once again, we're cool. And, here's to many sunny/happy days ahead. Take Care!



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 3302
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 1039 times

Re: At UTA

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu May 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Listen, for once I have faith in an AD making these decisions that I no longer feel the need to comment on coaches.
“In DG We Trust”



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests