Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Outfield Wall Height

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Outfield Wall Height

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm

How tall is the outfield wall at Beaver Field at Jim and Bettie Smith Stadium? Wikipedia mentions the distance, but most sites never mention the wall height for baseball stadiums, except maybe Boston and Greenville, SC.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bigCasu

Re: Outfield Wall Height

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 pm

It looks pretty standard, althought I dont know what that is. Maybe nine feet?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:54 am

bigCasu wrote:It looks pretty standard, althought I dont know what that is. Maybe nine feet?
I was guessing 10 ft, but they do seem to jump and their glove is a bit higher than what it would take to dunk a basketball, and if they stand and raise their arm I don't think they are over the top of the wall, which would rule out 8 ft. 9 ft does sound about right.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 am

Sounds like you are developing a test questions for your students on force and angle to hit a homer.
Bring Your A Game!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:32 pm

huskie3 wrote:Sounds like you are developing a test questions for your students on force and angle to hit a homer.
There is an older AP Physics problem from a decade or so ago, where a ball is hit and the question amounts to
- is it a homerun or not
- if a homerun how far above the wall does the ball clear the top of the wall
- if not a homerun how far below the wall top does the ball hit, or how far from the wall does the ball land.

I should do that to couple with my blocked field goal problem involving one particular Physics major named Corey Lynch. I wonder if any of the power hitters are/have been Physics or science majors, so I could use them as a preference.

My reason for wanting the height is much more mundane. I found out that EA sports baseball dropped/lost their MLB license in 06 and 07 and they picked up a license to do NCAA teams for baseball. The 06 version was XBox and PS2, and the 07 version was PS2 only. However the 07 version added the SoCon and one other conference. Around 120 schools in the 07 version. I never had a PS2 so I got one for $40 and the baseball game was $10 on eBay. I now have football, basketball and baseball between the Gamecube part of the Wii, the Wii itself and now the PS2 that all have ASU as a team.

An older system but works for me, and was cheap enough. I just wish 2006 was a better year for ASU baseball, and I could have better player stats. It may have been 2005 stats, but it has us listed as 21-24 or something with a slightly under .500 win record.

Long story short I am creating the baseball field on the PS2, as the game includes about 120 schools but only about 23 ballparks, and of course only the FBS schools have a fight song to listen to. But I get to play at App State in my virtual world. It is fun enough for a bit of diversion.

But you got me thinking about another App State word problem. Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”