Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

At Tennessee this weekend

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: At Tennessee this weekend

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:31 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm
I know a couple of things about baseball. Hitting can come around. Let’s hope it does. Poor defense and poor pitching hardly ever gets better. In fact, it usually gets worse, as the slow hitting teams start to heat up.
I would agree with this. Pitching and defense has to be a constant for consistency for sure. And yes, statistics will prove out that the hitting will get better. However, the glaring issue is the lack of plate discipline that was exhibited this past weekend. We never got their pitchers uncomfortable or creating any type adversity for the defense. Too many three up, three downs to give our pitchers any time to rest and refocus.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:33 pm

appst89 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:31 pm
I'm not jumping off any bridges about one series, albeit one very lackluster series at the plate. I hope the hitting will come around.

And just for what it's worth, New Mexico State scored 62 runs in a doubleheader Saturday.
Damn! Can we see about getting some of those bats? When is the NCAA trade deadline? :D

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:31 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm
I know a couple of things about baseball. Hitting can come around. Let’s hope it does. Poor defense and poor pitching hardly ever gets better. In fact, it usually gets worse, as the slow hitting teams start to heat up.
I would agree with this. Pitching and defense has to be a constant for consistency for sure. And yes, statistics will prove out that the hitting will get better. However, the glaring issue is the lack of plate discipline that was exhibited this past weekend. We never got their pitchers uncomfortable or creating any type adversity for the defense. Too many three up, three downs to give our pitchers any time to rest and refocus.
Oh, you make a great point, and while I saw a little of all theee games, my opportunities never really lined up with seeing App bat, so I can’t say if we were swinging at strikes or at junk (though I can’t imagine a good pitcher putting anything over the plate unless he had to), so I’m hoping it was a case of nerves and trying to force something, instead of letting the game come around.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:30 pm

It’s way too early to say what the offense will be the entire year based off one series. If there are a few more series where this is a problem then we can act as if the sky is falling. It was a disappointing start.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:07 pm

I for one never insinuated that the sky was falling. That was started by someone that commented on my original post.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:16 pm

9 of those K’s on Saturday was a direct result of their 2nd pitcher over the last 4 innings - he is a STUD and had nasty stuff. Was drafted out of high school in 2017 and chose to go to college.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:06 am

Our offense should improve with the weather.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 am

Playing the long game with App baseball. I'm a Kermit fan and the roster is very young. All the ingredients for great program building. Having your weekend starters all as Freshman & Sophomores should prove to be an awesome foundation for improvement the next couple years. All three guys seem talented.

Hitting will come around.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 am

ViewCrew87 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:45 pm
All games on SEC Network+

https://appstatesports.com/news/2019/2/ ... riday.aspx
Hey, my friend, saying this as a prelude - I didn't watch any of the 3 games and I glanced only briefly at the boxes - I addressed this to you because you know I have some knowledge of the game of baseball --- If the team, any team, continues to put the ball into play, the hits will come - At this time of the season give me pitching and defense (short of having all three) 100% of the time.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:17 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 am
ViewCrew87 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:45 pm
All games on SEC Network+

https://appstatesports.com/news/2019/2/ ... riday.aspx
Hey, my friend, saying this as a prelude - I didn't watch any of the 3 games and I glanced only briefly at the boxes - I addressed this to you because you know I have some knowledge of the game of baseball --- If the team, any team, continues to put the ball into play, the hits will come - At this time of the season give me pitching and defense (short of having all three) 100% of the time.
Exactly....and good to hear from you! Freshman Cole from WA scratched out a couple of hits. Program is still strong back home!

App1989

Unread post by App1989 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:27 am

Guys I know the scores were all goose eggs everyday but in the teams defense there were a lot of hard hit balls that were hit right at them ,they made great defensive plays and one sports center play with catch on wall . I attended them games since it was close to home and in there defense they played great except for lot of looking strikes but Tennessee pitching was best I have seen in a while with all of them throwing 92-97 and one hitting 100. Go watch when they are in your area and you will hopefully see what I saw and I think you will be excited instead of being so critical and want to down them. Also just for thought when I played there weren't many throwing 95-100 so think of that when you say they can't hit cause I would bet you could not either.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:42 pm

People in the know! #micDrop ...next!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:29 pm

App1989 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:27 am
Guys I know the scores were all goose eggs everyday but in the teams defense there were a lot of hard hit balls that were hit right at them ,they made great defensive plays and one sports center play with catch on wall . I attended them games since it was close to home and in there defense they played great except for lot of looking strikes but Tennessee pitching was best I have seen in a while with all of them throwing 92-97 and one hitting 100. Go watch when they are in your area and you will hopefully see what I saw and I think you will be excited instead of being so critical and want to down them. Also just for thought when I played there weren't many throwing 95-100 so think of that when you say they can't hit cause I would bet you could not either.
Very impressed with the defense and pitching this weekend. They should keep us in a lot of weekend series as the season goes on. The issue is that we have not been a good offensive team for a few years now and the early indication is that we may still be bad. I get it, it is one series and their guys throw hard, but we put zero pressure on them. Too many quick plate appearances and too many strikeouts looking. We may see some improvement in the upcoming games but will we get better before we start conference play because we will face some tough pitching in the league.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”