Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

At Tennessee this weekend

ViewCrew87
School: Appalachian State

Re: At Tennessee this weekend

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:49 am

App91 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:10 pm
VC87 is back!!
Looks like the hats for bats are still on. Young lefties will come around.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:52 am

ViewCrew87 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:49 am
App91 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:10 pm
VC87 is back!!
Looks like the hats for bats are still on. Young lefties will come around.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvrzntd2pRk
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:14 am
Just a reminder folks....this is year 2 of the rebuild. Kermit Smith's first year was a throw away because he had zero opportunity to recruit once he was hired. That's the nature of a spring sport. Last year he basically cleaned out and brought in 18 new guys. This year he talked about having more left handed hitters. He knows the issues and he's dealing with them but expecting a turn around in series #1 on year #2 is pretty unrealistic.
At the end of the day, he's in year three of a four-year contract. It's hard to give too much of a mulligan when you're getting paid the same either way.

The pitching was major plus this past weekend. We just can't wait until April to start hitting.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:32 am
:roll: People with no knowledge of the game see a box score and are now ready to comment like experts. :roll:

Fact: Kermit Smith is the best coach on App's campus.
Opinion: He could end up being the best one ever. (Better than Jerry, Mack, Bobby and Chris).
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :lol: :cry:

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm
Boone Goon wrote:
:roll: People with no knowledge of the game see a box score and are now ready to comment like experts. :roll:

Opinion: He could end up being the best one ever. (Better than Jerry, Mack, Bobby and Chris).
Based on your other ignorant posts, I can understand why you're confused.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 pm
Arsenal App wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm
Boone Goon wrote:

Based on your other ignorant posts, I can understand why you're confused.
At least I understand now why they call you Goon.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm

Boone Goon wrote:

Um, no! Either you can hit a 94 mph fastball or you can’t. These guys work on this year round and to tell me that you can’t string together more than 9 hits over a three game series? That is abysmal. These pitchers are good but we aren’t talking Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine. If they were that good they would be in the pros. The plate doesn’t move and the ball has to cross the plate for it to be a strike.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm
Boone Goon wrote:

Um, no! Either you can hit a 94 mph fastball or you can’t. These guys work on this year round and to tell me that you can’t string together more than 9 hits over a three game series? That is abysmal. These pitchers are good but we aren’t talking Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine. If they were that good they would be in the pros. The plate doesn’t move and the ball has to cross the plate for it to be a strike.
I feel like I can ABSOLUTELY read a box score- to Goon on this one, and the box score tells me that our Division 1 baseball players can’t hit! This early in the season in generally crappy weather pitching is way ahead of batting- fact. That being said our early pitching wasn’t bad. I watched some of the game yesterday and our offense looked way overmatched by what is probably just an ok SEC team. To get shutout three games is ridiculous. It’s not like every UT pitcher is all that.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Let me share a little perspective with the "MMB Bridge-jumpers":
1) We don't fund or offer the full 11.7 scholarships a D1 baseball program is allowed to offer!
2) We're starting 3-4 true freshmen! Imagine if our football program started all freshmen on defense! Would you expect them to compete against a FBS program? Let alone a SEC program?
3) We made 2 errors on the weekend.
4) We had as many hits as UT on Sunday (6).

The offensive criticism that could be accurately leveled on this weekend, were too many backwards Ks! Defense played well. Hitting improved dramatically from Friday to Sunday and if the Diamond Apps pitch like they did this weekend all year long, the Sun Belt will be on notice!

I have zero concerns about this team and the baseball program. I can't wait to see them play live, and I hope the rest of you will join me. If you're truly interested in learning the game and having factual conversation about our team or the program, drop me a DM and I'd be happy to discuss anything.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:59 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm
Boone Goon wrote:

I feel like I can ABSOLUTELY read a box score- to Goon on this one, and the box score tells me that our Division 1 baseball players can’t hit! This early in the season in generally crappy weather pitching is way ahead of batting- fact. That being said our early pitching wasn’t bad. I watched some of the game yesterday and our offense looked way overmatched by what is probably just an ok SEC team. To get shutout three games is ridiculous. It’s not like every UT pitcher is all that.
JG, I know you know your stuff about the hardball. And I agree, I'm surprised and disappointed we didn't get any runs across. Too many strikeouts looking and/or pop ups for second outs. Our defense was solid throughout. We'll win most games when we only give up 2 or 3 runs. I think we had 2 Es on the weekend. We just need to get the bats heated up and we'll be fine. I'll be at the game against NCCU. I'd enjoy buying you a hot dog if you can make it over from G'boro.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:04 pm

I'm not expert but I can read a box score. It says we scored no runs on 9 hits in 3 games. Enlighten me on what I don't know and explain how Kermit Smith will be the best coach ever at App.

I'm hopeful that UT is a top flight SEC team this year after failing to make the conference tournament the last two years. No doubt, we will struggle in the early season as we are still a young squad and the weather usually doesn't cooperate in February for on field work.

What is it that I'm to be excited about this year? Why should I ignore the first series?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:53 pm
1) We don't fund or offer the full 11.7 scholarships a D1 baseball program is allowed to offer!
2) We're starting 3-4 true freshmen! Imagine if our football program started all freshmen on defense! Would you expect them to compete against a FBS program? Let alone a SEC program?

The offensive criticism that could be accurately leveled on this weekend, were too many backwards Ks! Defense played well. Hitting improved dramatically from Friday to Sunday and if the Diamond Apps pitch like they did this weekend all year long, the Sun Belt will be on notice!

I have zero concerns about this team and the baseball program. I can't wait to see them play live, and I hope the rest of you will join me. If you're truly interested in learning the game and having factual conversation about our team or the program, drop me a DM and I'd be happy to discuss anything.
What a completely arrogant and condescending post. You don’t know what I or anyone else knows about baseball to make a comment that oozes superiority. I always assume that the person I am speaking to has some understanding of the subject and would appreciate the same courtesy.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:30 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 pm
Boone Goon wrote:

What a completely arrogant and condescending post. You don’t know what I or anyone else knows about baseball to make a comment that oozes superiority. I always assume that the person I am speaking to has some understanding of the subject and would appreciate the same courtesy.
Okay. Here's an example of your arrogance and lack of baseball knowledge in one sentence: " The plate doesn’t move and the ball has to cross the plate for it to be a strike." ...next?

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:50 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:04 pm
I'm not expert but I can read a box score. It says we scored no runs on 9 hits in 3 games. Enlighten me on what I don't know and explain how Kermit Smith will be the best coach ever at App.

I'm hopeful that UT is a top flight SEC team this year after failing to make the conference tournament the last two years. No doubt, we will struggle in the early season as we are still a young squad and the weather usually doesn't cooperate in February for on field work.

What is it that I'm to be excited about this year? Why should I ignore the first series?
Reasonable question. The dramatic improvement in pitching and defense coupled with the youth of this team gives me tremendous optimism. The measurables of every recruit is a significant step up from our previous players. Similar to our enthusiasm over football's most recent recruiting class, our baseball recruits are dramatically improved over the last 4-5 classes. This is exclusively a result of Kermit, Britt, Justin and Erik. From there, I've had conversations with high school and college coaches across the state who all comment on Kermit's knowledge and skill. I've also had extended conversations with current and past players about the mode of our players. Its night and day difference from 3 years ago. I hope that helps. I'm not trying to turn a blind eye to the lack of runs, but its only one piece to a much larger puzzle. I hope that helps.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:30 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Boone Goon wrote:

Okay. Here's an example of your arrogance and lack of baseball knowledge in one sentence: " The plate doesn’t move and the ball has to cross the plate for it to be a strike." ...next?
So in three games, we had 96 plate appearances, faced 359 pitches, struck out 32 times (33%) of the time and walked 5 times. This means that we saw an average of 3.73 pitches per AB. I may not know anything about baseball, according to you. But that is pretty fricking awful. You can pump as much sunshine as you want, but when you have a young team, you want them taking as many pitches as you can. They didn't put any pressure on the pitching staff at all and it doesn't appear that they tried. They showed zero discipline at the plate. As to you pointing out my comment about the plate doesn't move. It doesn't, the ball does but it still has to cross the plate to be a strike. There are drills that can be done to teach inside out swings and taking an outside pitch to the opposite field. Bottom line these kids don't know how to hit and this is a trend that is all too familiar.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:59 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:53 pm
Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:30 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Boone Goon wrote:

So in three games, we had 96 plate appearances, faced 359 pitches, struck out 32 times (33%) of the time and walked 5 times. This means that we saw an average of 3.73 pitches per AB. I may not know anything about baseball, according to you. But that is pretty fricking awful. You can pump as much sunshine as you want, but when you have a young team, you want them taking as many pitches as you can. They didn't put any pressure on the pitching staff at all and it doesn't appear that they tried. They showed zero discipline at the plate. As to you pointing out my comment about the plate doesn't move. It doesn't, the ball does but it still has to cross the plate to be a strike. There are drills that can be done to teach inside out swings and taking an outside pitch to the opposite field. Bottom line these kids don't know how to hit and this is a trend that is all too familiar.
Thank you...you keep posting and making my arguments for me. I love it when Sunday-League players want to talk strategy. ...next!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:15 pm

What is your argument exactly? You stated that the defense and pitching is better which is true, but it doesn't mean squadoosh if you can't score runs. You stated that the hitting improved through the weekend. Based on what information do you base that on because it isn't evident in the box score, or the results. We struck out 5 more time on Sat than we did on Friday and the same amount on Sun as we did on Fri. But our pitches seen per AB decreased each day. Please keep aspousing that you are in a position to educate us all on the game, but you really haven't given me anything to make me believe that you actually know what you are talking about. Keep grinding buddy.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:19 pm

cant edit

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm

I know a couple of things about baseball. Hitting can come around. Let’s hope it does. Poor defense and poor pitching hardly ever gets better. In fact, it usually gets worse, as the slow hitting teams start to heat up.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:31 pm

I'm not jumping off any bridges about one series, albeit one very lackluster series at the plate. I hope the hitting will come around.

And just for what it's worth, New Mexico State scored 62 runs in a doubleheader Saturday.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”