Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App BB v. Manhattan Jaspers (1-2) Fri. thru Sun. Smith Stadium

beav910
School: Appalachian State

Re: App BB v. Manhattan Jaspers (1-2) Fri. thru Sun. Smith Stadium

Unread post by beav910 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:04 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm
I hate to be negative. But is anyone else watching the broadcast and listening to the “play by play” announcer? It’s atrocious. On the air he admitted to not knowing the rules of baseball.
At one point the Manhattan pitcher stepped off the mound to look a runner back to 2nd. The announcer said “I’m pretty sure that counts as a ball, if I remember the rules of baseball correctly.

Literally every time he opens his mouth what he says is either wrong and/or he has to correct himself. He clearly has never played and not quite sure he’s ever watched a baseball game.

Again, hate to be negative but this is pathetic, and a terrible look for the school and program.

Hate to be negative, but my goodness my 8 year old nephew could do better.
Pretty sure that was a bit of sarcasm by him as I heard the same line live. He's probably a new commentator and also a student, he'll get better as the season progresses I'm sure.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:23 pm

swva appfan wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:13 pm
appstate24 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm
I hate to be negative. But is anyone else watching the broadcast and listening to the “play by play” announcer? It’s atrocious. On the air he admitted to not knowing the rules of baseball.
At one point the Manhattan pitcher stepped off the mound to look a runner back to 2nd. The announcer said “I’m pretty sure that counts as a ball, if I remember the rules of baseball correctly.

Literally every time he opens his mouth what he says is either wrong and/or he has to correct himself. He clearly has never played and not quite sure he’s ever watched a baseball game.

Again, hate to be negative but this is pathetic, and a terrible look for the school and program.

Hate to be negative, but my goodness my 8 year old nephew could do better.
I've had it on in the back ground and finally turned it down due to what you said and the unpreparedness of knowing either teams players. You have to get your start somewhere and not every one is ever good at what they do at first and if this is his path he needs a good mentor like David Jackson. Speaking of which I so hope he comes back one day...

I’ll chalk it up as a rough start for the student announcer, and hope he gets better. I also had to mute him. Every hit regardless of where it went as “a line drive to center field.” I bet he has said “my apologies” and “excuse me” 1000 times today when he messes up. He doesn’t know how to prounance anyone’s name and like you said just completely unprepared with any knowledge of the teams, lineups, and some of these basic rules of baseball.

Here’s to hoping he gets some good mentoring and some more time to prepare, and shuts me up. GO APPS!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:16 pm

Back to the game....5 errors in a one run loss.Oh well , in the immortal words of Meatloaf , “ Two out of three ain’t bad”.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:31 am

Should have had the sweep, sloppy game three.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Every now and again, the other team does well. We couldn't touch their lefty in Game 3. He went 6.2 IP with 8 K's and our hitting was too little too late. Didn't feel like a loss. Left encouraged.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”