Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Canisius @ Appalachian - Roll Call

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Canisius @ Appalachian - Roll Call

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Sunday's cold-out is sounding more and more like Moo-U decided they didn't want any more of Appalachian. The UNC-C game was delayed over an hour-and-a-half by rain. The puppies won 5-0. I sure hope we can get them in the regional or super regional.

http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-basebl/s ... 3/st2.html
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 am

What kind of stellar regular season would it take of a SoCon school to host a regional?

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 am

Gonzo wrote:What kind of stellar regular season would it take of a SoCon school to host a regional?
It'd take a very good one, a regular season and conference tournament title for sure, but it's not impossible. Several schools outside the 'Big 4' have hosted regionals in recent years - Rice, ECU, Coastal Carolina, and San Diego come to mind.

Plus, unlike in many other sports, the SoCon is a well-respected baseball conference that is usually in the top 6-10 in conference RPI. Last season, we were projected as high as a #2 seed a few weeks before the end of the season. Had we played better down the stretch and won the SoCon tournament, it's possible we could have played our way into a #1 seed and hosted a regional last year but we went 7-7 leading into the tournament and slipped to a #3.

However, our stadium is not big enough to host a regional. I want to say the minimum size is 2,000 but I could be wrong. If we'd gotten a #1 seed, the games would have most likely been played at the minor league park in Hickory. I think The Citadel, Charleston and Georgia Southern are the only SoCon schools with big enough ballparks to host a regional on campus.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 am

asumike83 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:What kind of stellar regular season would it take of a SoCon school to host a regional?
It'd take a very good one, a regular season and conference tournament title for sure, but it's not impossible. Several schools outside the 'Big 4' have hosted regionals in recent years - Rice, ECU, Coastal Carolina, and San Diego come to mind.

Plus, unlike in many other sports, the SoCon is a well-respected baseball conference that is usually in the top 6-10 in conference RPI. Last season, we were projected as high as a #2 seed a few weeks before the end of the season. Had we played better down the stretch and won the SoCon tournament, it's possible we could have played our way into a #1 seed and hosted a regional last year but we went 7-7 leading into the tournament and slipped to a #3.

However, our stadium is not big enough to host a regional. I want to say the minimum size is 2,000 but I could be wrong. If we'd gotten a #1 seed, the games would have most likely been played at the minor league park in Hickory. I think The Citadel, Charleston and Georgia Southern are the only SoCon schools with big enough ballparks to host a regional on campus.
Any idea how many seats they're planning to add to our park? The strategic plan indicates we will be adding seats, weight room, backed-seats, but I wonder how substantial an addition it will be and if that would push us into a realm where we could potentially host a regional one day.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Robert Norton wrote:JT, I was sitting right next to the camera. The first guy had never filmed baseball and a guy was going over about 300 things he had to do and remember. Later another experienced guy went to the camera. I'm guessing this is when the filming got better. Cold as quite a few football games and it really got bad when the north wind picked up. Heard 225 were there.
That makes sense Robert. Maybe they should let him film at practice a few times to get the feel for it before being put on the air so to speak.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:41 pm

I believe the first change to seating will be to replace all bleachers with chair backs. After that who knows how many we would add but there is plenty of room down the 1st base line. I wish they would raise the current seats so that all of them are above the top of the dugouts, and then move the light poles back so we can have seats wrap around from the far end of each dugout.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Robert Norton

Unread post by Robert Norton » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:49 pm

JT, Billy said about $50,000 to convert bleachers to seats. When I hit the lottery it's done as is moving speakers, putting a large ASU in outfield (I think your dad told me Wake has this), Old Yosef in on- deck circles and a Block A behind homeplate and anything else they want.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:36 pm

State is putting the wood to Nova right now, even more so than when they beat UNC-Harrisburg. They're up 14-1 at the end of four.

We should be ranked.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Make it happen Robert... I know you have the funds!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 pm

I am going to be in NC in March and plan on taking in the UNC-A game. Do they sell merchandise at the game? I am particularly interested in the black jersey that was worn last year. One more question, are they set up to take donations to the Dugout Club on gamedays? Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”