Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2024 Baseball Mega Thread

goapps93

Re: 2024 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:42 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:46 pm
It’s usually fun to play Duke/Wake midweeks but maybe those should have been UNCC or A&T, UNCG, NCCU this year. Duke is extremely good, should battle Wake for Acc and maybe Omaha.
We’ll see this weekend. Duke is at Wake. Those boys can sure hit it. After tonight they lead the nation in homers.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appvette
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appvette » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:49 pm

We knew pitching depth was a concern, which typically shows up in midweek games, especially against the #12 team.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:10 am

we got our absolute ass kicked. but the good news is that it's the same as losing 1-0 in the win/loss column. hopefully they did some soul searching out there during the 16 run inning. they've got a long season of conference play ahead against high quality sun belt opponents.
YNWA

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:27 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:43 pm
Not complaining chump, just reporting the obvious. I’m okay with middle of the road, if you are too.
We're coming off a 30 win season and sitting at 9-3 currently. We finished 88 in RPI last year and are currently 119 this year. Not exactly middle of the road. You've been very critical of the staff for several years, including most of last year. Until we nearly won the tournament of course.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:02 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:27 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Not complaining chump, just reporting the obvious. I’m okay with middle of the road, if you are too.
We're coming off a 30 win season and sitting at 9-3 currently. We finished 88 in RPI last year and are currently 119 this year. Not exactly middle of the road. You've been very critical of the staff for several years, including most of last year. Until we nearly won the tournament of course.
The maniacal highs and lows on this thread that seemingly occur with every at bat is comical.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:04 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:02 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
The maniacal highs and lows on this thread that seemingly occur with every at bat is comical.
Every thread. This is not an anomaly.😂😂😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:37 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
If permitted, please allow me to give my opinion. In a nutshell after observing for awhile, I definitely see improvement over the last regime. However for whatever reason I feel we've hit a peak in the baseball program. It seems we can't get over the hump of being a middle of the road team. I realize many that post here are "better fans than me", in theory that is. However, I honestly hope to see us get over that hump. In the mean time, middle of the road appears to be where we're heading. I'm okay with letting the season play out, and hopefully I'm proven to be off base.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:51 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:37 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
If permitted, please allow me to give my opinion. In a nutshell after observing for awhile, I definitely see improvement over the last regime. However for whatever reason I feel we've hit a peak in the baseball program. It seems we can't get over the hump of being a middle of the road team. I realize many that post here are "better fans than me", in theory that is. However, I honestly hope to see us get over that hump. In the mean time, middle of the road appears to be the norm currently. I'm okay with letting the season play out, and hopefully I'm proven to be off base.
Please allow me to apologize as my post regarding the ebbs and flows of this thread was in no way directed towards you specifically. It was something that I have noticed for some time and thought to post it on the back of JT’s. My apologies to you Sir for appearing to attack you by singling you put. That wasn’t my intention.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:53 pm

No problem Dude, we're cool.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:29 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
If permitted, please allow me to give my opinion. In a nutshell after observing for awhile, I definitely see improvement over the last regime. However for whatever reason I feel we've hit a peak in the baseball program. It seems we can't get over the hump of being a middle of the road team. I realize many that post here are "better fans than me", in theory that is. However, I honestly hope to see us get over that hump. In the mean time, middle of the road appears to be where we're heading. I'm okay with letting the season play out, and hopefully I'm proven to be off base.
Everyone entitled to an opinion. I would ask why you feel we've peaked when last year was the best season in over a decade, and this year has started off well so far? It's going to take a LOT of money and support to compete against top 15 teams on a regular basis, but we did have a winning record in the number 5 conference in the nation last year. That is a major improvement from years past.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:37 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:04 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
Every thread. This is not an anomaly.😂😂😂
I’m at the football games and home basketball games so I don’t see those threads.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:52 pm

Baseball is a really hard game to play. I'm willing to bet that this season the Dodgers, Braves, Yankees and Astros will all have at least one game where they get whipped pretty good. Unfortunately it happens. I seriously doubt that there is really enough quality pitching available for the number of college baseball teams out there. Baseball is different. There are really good players in D2, D3 and other levels.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:06 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:29 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
Everyone entitled to an opinion. I would ask why you feel we've peaked when last year was the best season in over a decade, and this year has started off well so far? It's going to take a LOT of money and support to compete against top 15 teams on a regular basis, but we did have a winning record in the number 5 conference in the nation last year. That is a major improvement from years past.
I’m currently on the road, thus, I have to be brief. To be honest, to me there are to many unanswered questions to speculate either way. As far as this season goes, until yesterday we didn’t play anyone that I felt gave a gauge as to where we stand. Although Duke is number 12, I feel we should have completed somewhat. Didn’t expect to win, but, 28 - 2. Anyway, to be fair even after yesterday there are still to many unanswered questions. Although it’s early, how to you foresee this season playing out? Maybe my expectations are to high, but I see to many obstacles that keep rearing their ugly heads.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:48 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:52 pm
Baseball is a really hard game to play. I'm willing to bet that this season the Dodgers, Braves, Yankees and Astros will all have at least one game where they get whipped pretty good. Unfortunately it happens. I seriously doubt that there is really enough quality pitching available for the number of college baseball teams out there. Baseball is different. There are really good players in D2, D3 and other levels.
You are 100% correct here - these games happen to the best teams - That's baseball - nothing much a coach can do to alter a big run - can't milk the clock, can't play stall ball, etc., one of my high school teams scored 25 runs in one inning. I wasn't going to tell my guys to strike out on purpose. I did everything I could to make 3 outs but it was like a big wave - it just kept coming...every hit ball found an opening, I tried running guys into outs - nothing worked, it kind of became embarrassing to me. (no mercy rules in those days)
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:57 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:48 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:52 pm
You are 100% correct here - these games happen to the best teams - That's baseball - nothing much a coach can do to alter a big run - can't milk the clock, can't play stall ball, etc., one of my high school teams scored 25 runs in one inning. I wasn't going to tell my guys to strike out on purpose. I did everything I could to make 3 outs but it was like a big wave - it just kept coming...every hit ball found an opening, I tried running guys into outs - nothing worked, it kind of became embarrassing to me. (no mercy rules in those days)
I also wonder what some people wanted the coach to do. It's not like he put pitchers in and they lobbed the ball. There is a valid reason why Duke is highly ranked. I do agree that the score was awful but at the end of the day losing 1-0 is the same result, a loss. If we bounce back and take the series this weekend we can grab momentum heading into conference play. That's all that matters anyway.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:03 pm

I am not being down on program. Just an observation. It can be difficult to get good players up on the mountain for baseball..not considering ACC, I would like to see us compete with the likes of EasyU, UNCW, Campbell..they do have a leg up given the weather advantage. I hope we can get there eventually. I do think it is a more difficult task.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:09 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:03 pm
I am not being down on program. Just an observation. It can be difficult to get good players up on the mountain for baseball..not considering ACC, I would like to see us compete with the likes of EasyU, UNCW, Campbell..they do have a leg up given the weather advantage. I hope we can get there eventually. I do think it is a more difficult task.
Absolutely - and if anyone tells you different they are misinformed
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:58 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:06 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:29 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

I’m currently on the road, thus, I have to be brief. To be honest, to me there are to many unanswered questions to speculate either way. As far as this season goes, until yesterday we didn’t play anyone that I felt gave a gauge as to where we stand. Although Duke is number 12, I feel we should have completed somewhat. Didn’t expect to win, but, 28 - 2. Anyway, to be fair even after yesterday there are still to many unanswered questions. Although it’s early, how to you foresee this season playing out? Maybe my expectations are to high, but I see to many obstacles that keep rearing their ugly heads.
I think should win six or seven of our eight remaining Tuesday games given the competition, and I'd like to think we'll be above .500 in the league again. That would put us above last year's win total and in good shape for the tournament. A lot depends on health though. We're really missing Moronta and Xuereb right now. Moronta was our second best hitter last year and was hitting .460 this year prior to the injury. Most of the guys that pitched yesterday are coming off of injuries so they'll get better as the year goes.

teaasu76

Unread post by teaasu76 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:44 pm

This game needs to be placed in the same lock box as the "It never happened" football game of a few years ago. Move forward and get better. The coaching staff needs a season or two working with the pitchers in the new lab. Sun Belt is a really strong baseball conference.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:12 pm

28-2 is ugly. Reeeeeel ugly. Can’t let one loss turn into a string of em though. We need to bounce back strong this weekend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”