2015 MLB Draft

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

2015 MLB Draft

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:27 pm

IF Michael Pierson is the first Mountaineer selected in the 2015 Draft. He was selected in Round 21-#645 by the Los Angeles Angels.
Last edited by firemoose on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemoose

Re: 2015 MLB Draft

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:47 pm

IF Dillion Dobson is the second Mountaineer taken. He is selected in Round 23-by the San Francisco Giants. The feed froze up so I couldn't see what number.

EDIT:
Last edited by firemoose on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:49 pm

OF Jaylin Davis is the third Mountaineer taken. Selected in Round 24-#710 by the Minnesota Twins.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Final tally. Apps have four players drafted, tying the number set in 2009, 12' and 13'. They are:

Round 21-#645 (Los Angeles Angles) Sr. Michael Pierson, L/R IF/OF 6-0 190 Coral Springs, Fla. (Pine Crest)
Round 23-#696 (San Francisco Giants) Jr. Dillon Dobson, L/R IF/OF 6-1 220 Hamptonville, N.C. (Starmount)
Round 24-#710 (Minnesota Twins) Jr. Jaylin Davis, R/R OF 6-1 195 McLeansville, N.C. (Northeast Guilford)
Round 30-#888 (Texas Rangers) Sr. Jeffrey Springs, L/L LHP 6-1 210 Belmont, N.C. (South Point)

No incoming freshmen were drafted.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Were all these guys recruited by Pollard?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:40 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:Were all these guys recruited by Pollard?

Pierson and Springs, Yes. Dobson and Davis, I believe they both comitted to App under the Pollard tenure (2011) however signed in 2012 after BJ took over.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:38 am

http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArtic ... =210143276

App State Matches Record with Four MLB Draftees
Courtesy: Appalachian State Sports Information

BOONE, N.C. — Four Appalachian State University baseball student-athletes were selected in the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft on Wednesday. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim picked senior infielder Michael Pierson in the 21st round (No. 645 overall), the San Francisco Giants selected junior infielder Dillon Dobson in the 23rd round (No. 696 overall), the Minnesota Twins tabbed junior outfielder Jaylin Davis in the 24th round (No. 710 overall) and the Texas Rangers drafted senior left-handed pitcher Jeffrey Springs in the 30th round (No. 888 overall) of the 40-round draft.

Appalachian State’s four draftees match the program record set in 2009, 2012 and 2013. In all, 21 Mountaineers have been selected in the last eight MLB Drafts.

A former walk-on, Pierson led Appalachian State in hitting each of the last two seasons (.343 in 2014 and .346 in 2015). He finished his collegiate career with a .341 batting average, 30 doubles, 16 home runs and 86 RBI. His 41 walks this season were the 10th-most in program history and he ranked 33rd nationally in walks per game (.77) and 36th in on-base percentage (.469).

In just three seasons, Dobson already ranks fifth in Appalachian State history with 29 career home runs. His 12 homers this season rank 57th nationally and his .577 slugging percentage is good for 97th in NCAA Division I. He is a two-time all-conference honoree, having earned first-team recognition in the Southern Conference as a sophomore in 2014 and second-team plaudits in the Sun Belt as a junior this season.

Despite being limited to just 18 games as a junior due to a season-ending arm injury sustained while making a diving catch versus Texas State on March 15, Davis became the first Mountaineer to be drafted as an outfielder since Rand Smith in 2009. He was named a freshman all-American in 2012, set a school record with seven triples as a sophomore in 2013 and, in just 126 career games, is already tied for third in program history with 11 career triples.

Springs ranks among Appalachian State’s all-time leaders in career starts (43 - t-3rd), innings pitched (243.1 - 7th) and strikeouts (215 - 4th). He turned in the finest season of his career as a senior in 2015, going 4-2 with a 4.46 ERA and 70 strikeouts in 76.2 innings.

As juniors, Dobson and Davis have until Aug. 15 to decide if they will sign with the clubs that selected them or return to Appalachian State for their senior seasons. Pierson and Springs will begin their professional careers immediately.

Blackandgold

Unread post by Blackandgold » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:46 am

AppDawg wrote:

Pierson and Springs, Yes. Dobson and Davis, I believe they both comitted to App under the Pollard tenure (2011) however signed in 2012 after BJ took over.
Pierson and springs were freshman in 2012, on the socon championship team.

Dobson and Davis were pollard recruits. They signed in fall of 2011. They never played for pollard, but they were his guys.

Add 4 more guys to the list of pollard draftees. Jones sure as heck didn't do anything to help these guys.

I'm happy for them after having to endure a long, miserable season, with an arrogant head coach.

If Dobson and Davis sign as 20th rounders, that's a sign of how bad the guys can't stand jones. Both were supposed to go top 10 rounds before the season. So if they sign as 20th rounders, it shows how bad they want out due to jones.

It's bad guys. Really bad for the players right now.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Both Davis and Dobson have signed.

Blackandgold

Unread post by Blackandgold » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:38 am

T-Dog wrote:Both Davis and Dobson have signed.

Says a lot about current condition of the culture and relationship btwn coaches and players.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:50 am

Blackandgold wrote:

Says a lot about current condition of the culture and relationship btwn coaches and players.
Not sure that this as much about the culture and relationship as it is about the best time to sign. I read an interesting article on the MLB draft that said players drafted in their Jr year often get better signing bonuses (especially those drafted in the later rounds) than those drafted in their Sr year. The reasoning behind this is that after your Sr year you don't have any other options to play so MLB has you by the kahonies.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:55 am

Blackandgold wrote:
AppDawg wrote:

Dobson and Davis were pollard recruits. They signed in fall of 2011. They never played for pollard, but they were his guys.

Add 4 more guys to the list of pollard draftees. Jones sure as heck didn't do anything to help these guys.

I'm happy for them after having to endure a long, miserable season, with an arrogant head coach.

If Dobson and Davis sign as 20th rounders, that's a sign of how bad the guys can't stand jones. Both were supposed to go top 10 rounds before the season. So if they sign as 20th rounders, it shows how bad they want out due to jones.

If you know these players and they told you they weren't coming back was because of the coach then that is fine - if not, I wouldn't assume that is the reason - going pro after your junior year is pretty standard --- unless a guy feels he can substantially improve his status or he has a chance to be a senior of a very special team then maybe - as mentioned, the money is most likely better but the premier reason is you spend the next entire year working in the organization which drafted you being trained by some of the best and playing against the best instead of spending another season playing 50 games of college ball ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Blackandgold

Unread post by Blackandgold » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:44 pm

appbanker wrote:
Blackandgold wrote:

Not sure that this as much about the culture and relationship as it is about the best time to sign. I read an interesting article on the MLB draft that said players drafted in their Jr year often get better signing bonuses (especially those drafted in the later rounds) than those drafted in their Sr year. The reasoning behind this is that after your Sr year you don't have any other options to play so MLB has you by the kahonies.
Both Dobson and jaylin were supposed to be top 10 rounders before the season. Jaylin missed majority of season due to injury. Could've easily came back to app next year and been higher than a mid 20th round pick. And gotten more money next year.

Dobson and jaylin both getting drafted significantly later than they both expected at beginning of the year, and signing, is a direct reflection of bad culture of team due to bad relationship that head coach has with players.

As far as article you read, yes junior year is the year to go, if you are top 15 or so rounds. As a senior you have no leverage, and have to sign for low bonus if you want your career to continue.

Blackandgold

Unread post by Blackandgold » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:03 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Blackandgold wrote:
AppDawg wrote:

If you know these players and they told you they weren't coming back was because of the coach then that is fine - if not, I wouldn't assume that is the reason - going pro after your junior year is pretty standard --- unless a guy feels he can substantially improve his status or he has a chance to be a senior of a very special team then maybe - as mentioned, the money is most likely better but the premier reason is you spend the next entire year working in the organization which drafted you being trained by some of the best and playing against the best instead of spending another season playing 50 games of college ball ---
Yes sir, I understand the MLB draft very well.

Contrary to popular belief, many colleges have better developmental programs for players than minor league systems of MLB teams. Most Pro organizations put major restrictions on guys, and a lot of guys actually regress in their first couple of years of pro ball. Very restrictive weight room rules, and throwing program rules for pitchers. For example, 120 ft throwing program, instead of aggressive long toss. They aren't as strong, therefore velocity for pitchers drop significantly and power for hitters drop as well. This isn't hear say or speculation. It is fact. It's not uncommon for pitchers to experience a drop of 3-4mph in velocity when caged in to a 120 ft throwing program in pro ball, and not allowed to lift heavy. Then the organization gets mad at player and wants to know why they threw 94 in college and are only throwing 89 now. Most ppl don't know that goes on, but it is very common. There are several pretty big name baseball guys that are trying to get these restrictions lifted off minor league guys for many of the organizations. Many of big leaguers have money to hire there own trainers, and are given more of a leash on how to conduct their own workouts. This varies by organization, but to say that many guys leave college a year early to play rookie ball, and acting like its an upgrade, is just not true. Rookie ball is NOT an upgrade from good D 1 baseball.

It's pretty cut and dry what is going on. The players want out of a terrible situation at app with the coach. two of our studs just left as juniors, after getting drafted way later than projected at beginning of spring. That's not good.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Again, did you get your information directly from the players? You might be completely correct - I don't agree that playing Class A or Rookie ball is worse than playing for most colleges. The majority of draftees begin in Class A whenever they sign and the points you suggest as factual therefore would be experienced by the drafted player whether it was after high school, junior year or senior year - correct? - not sure what your point is about the "problems" of pro ball?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Blackandgold

Unread post by Blackandgold » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:10 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:Again, did you get your information directly from the players? You might be completely correct - I don't agree that playing Class A or Rookie ball is worse than playing for most colleges. The majority of draftees begin in Class A whenever they sign and the points you suggest as factual therefore would be experienced by the drafted player whether it was after high school, junior year or senior year - correct? - not sure what your point is about the "problems" of pro ball?
I wont post regarding personal information about our guys reasons of signing.

I didn't say A ball, I said rookie ball (and short season A ball for that matter).

I have no problem with pro ball. I was just simply explaining that the thought of it being an upgrade isn't necessarily true, and is most definitely not the "premier" reason of signing as a junior (especially when a later round pick) as you suggested. You really think top programs players', like vandy, lsu, heck even c of c etc, are getting an upgrade by leaving a year early and playing pro ball?? They aren't. UNLESS it allows them to get away from their miserable college coach. Signabilty increases when the player isn't happy where he's at.

All I'm trying to say is that billy jones has made our guys miserable, as evidenced by team morale as viewed from the stands during games. And two juniors that still sign when they are picked 15 rounds later than they were supposed to go, is also supportive of my views.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”