Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Diamond Apps Winless Against ACC

WataugaMan
School: Appalachian State

Diamond Apps Winless Against ACC

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:42 pm

After taking a 2-0 lead into the bottom of the 7th, App gives up 4 runs and move on to another loss to an ACC team. Final Wake 4 App 2
Last edited by WataugaMan on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gonzo

Re: Diamond Apps Winless Against ACC

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Same story every game. Against every team, not just the ACC.

AppState1

Unread post by AppState1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 am

Gonzo wrote:Same story every game. Against every team, not just the ACC.
We have 13 wins, so your post cannot possibly be correct.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 am

AppState wrote:
You know what I meant. Obviously I was referring to the manner in which we lost: giving up a bunch of runs at one time after leaving a pitcher in for just one inning too long. It's been the theme of the year, albeit not the games we won...

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 am

AppState wrote:
Yeah 13 wins, but look at how many 1 run losses we have and how many leads we've blown in the 7th inning on

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Gonzo wrote:
AppState wrote:
You know what I meant. Obviously I was referring to the manner in which we lost: giving up a bunch of runs at one time after leaving a pitcher in for just one inning too long. It's been the theme of the year, albeit not the games we won...
So - I am confused - now are you guys upset that the coach leaves his starter in too long OR that our bullpen is not good? :?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 pm

It should be that some of the bullpen guys are really struggling right now, at minimum. Evidence in that Thurber and Whaley have found midweek bullpen jobs, in addition to one appearance during the weekend, as opposed to perhaps two appearances on the weekend. Luckily Tyler Moore has given us a ton of innings on Saturdays, but it does not erase the fact that we have essentially used 7 pitchers all season long.

Sean Mason gave us another good midweek start against a big program, and it easy to see he is the next guy. But Mason currently struggles getting out of innings. Several times last night, he allowed a runner to reach with two outs. Those extra 5-7 pitches adds up, and leads to him barely getting into the 7th inning with 103 pitches. He was unhittable last night, with a career high in strikeouts.

Jones better have something he is holding back for the tournament, because if we only use 7 pitchers in late May, we wont play more than three games.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:33 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
AppState wrote:
So - I am confused - now are you guys upset that the coach leaves his starter in too long OR that our bullpen is not good? :?
Well that's the thing. I'm not sure. It sure seems like he's leaving them put there too long, but then Thurber, who is usually one of our stronger guys, starts struggling after throwing for just an inning or two.

Either way it's very frustrating.

I'll admit I can't tell nearly as well this year, as I am forced to merely stream the audio and look at stats.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Gonzo wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
AppState wrote:
Well that's the thing. I'm not sure. It sure seems like he's leaving them put there too long, but then Thurber, who is usually one of our stronger guys, starts struggling after throwing for just an inning or two.

Either way it's very frustrating.

I'll admit I can't tell nearly as well this year, as I am forced to merely stream the audio and look at stats.
Just speaking from a personal standpoint, if my bullpen is struggling I go with the starter even longer than I would have liked --- sometimes you get burned but baseball coaches more than most, play the odds ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 pm

bigCasu wrote:It should be that some of the bullpen guys are really struggling right now, at minimum. Evidence in that Thurber and Whaley have found midweek bullpen jobs, in addition to one appearance during the weekend, as opposed to perhaps two appearances on the weekend. Luckily Tyler Moore has given us a ton of innings on Saturdays, but it does not erase the fact that we have essentially used 7 pitchers all season long.

Sean Mason gave us another good midweek start against a big program, and it easy to see he is the next guy. But Mason currently struggles getting out of innings. Several times last night, he allowed a runner to reach with two outs. Those extra 5-7 pitches adds up, and leads to him barely getting into the 7th inning with 103 pitches. He was unhittable last night, with a career high in strikeouts.

Jones better have something he is holding back for the tournament, because if we only use 7 pitchers in late May, we wont play more than three games.
I still wonder if it would be worth putting Mason in the weekend rotation, and moving Moore back to the bullpen? I know Moore has been outstanding as a starter, but he can only get 1 win a week right now. If he comes in as a reliever he may be able to help us get 2 wins. At this point the midweek games don't matter much so why not put all of our focus on the weekend? Just an idea...
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Blackandgold

Unread post by Blackandgold » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:54 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
bigCasu wrote:It should be that some of the bullpen guys are really struggling right now, at minimum. Evidence in that Thurber and Whaley have found midweek bullpen jobs, in addition to one appearance during the weekend, as opposed to perhaps two appearances on the weekend. Luckily Tyler Moore has given us a ton of innings on Saturdays, but it does not erase the fact that we have essentially used 7 pitchers all season long.

I still wonder if it would be worth putting Mason in the weekend rotation, and moving Moore back to the bullpen? I know Moore has been outstanding as a starter, but he can only get 1 win a week right now. If he comes in as a reliever he may be able to help us get 2 wins. At this point the midweek games don't matter much so why not put all of our focus on the weekend? Just an idea...
Gotta have the starters, before the bullpen matters. Starters are more important. Moore is best starter this year. Can't move him.

Best bullpen in the world wouldn't matter if you didn't have the starters to give a lead to the pen.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Blackandgold wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

Gotta have the starters, before the bullpen matters. Starters are more important. Moore is best starter this year. Can't move him.

Best bullpen in the world wouldn't matter if you didn't have the starters to give a lead to the pen.
Actually not exactly true - many times it is up to the bullpen to keep the game "close" or "keep it where it is" UNTIL the offense/bats come alive :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

StumpyCulbreath

Unread post by StumpyCulbreath » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Somebody's got to be in the pen, but Whaley should be a starter.

Niner National
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Niner National » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 am

Gonzo wrote:
AppState wrote:
Sounds like your season is going like ours (except yours a little better). We've had leads in a lot of games and blew it in the last inning or two.

I'm not really much of a baseball fan, so I don't care all that much, but it has been a rough year for our baseball fans.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”