Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App v ULL

T-Dog

Re: App v ULL

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue May 10, 2016 9:12 pm

A reason for the criticism of Jones' handling of pulling pitchers is that Pollard was very good at in-game management. If a pitcher threw two in the dirt, there would be a conference. If there was a four-pitch walk from a middle reliever, he would walk out with his hand open to take the ball without saying a word.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:53 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:I know you enjoy running contrary to anything WV says, but to answer your question, I disagree with your criticism of Jones for his in-game management of the bullpen. You can fault Jones for not recruiting Sun Belt-caliber relievers, but I find it ridiculous that you and a few others on here purport to know precisely when to make the call to the bullpen. Hindsight being so convenient. Obviously we've struggled in late innings, but a baseball manager is only as good as his personnel. Billy Jones will get a lot smarter and his late-game maneuvers will become a lot more successful when he has better personnel to support those moves.
Your friendship with WV has clouded what occurred in this thread. Go back and read the posts, WV took exception with my post, which I then defending my position on a specific situation, then he attempted to make it personal.

These are Jones guys and his use of his bullpen has proven costly throughout his tenure here. We can debate what generally happens in baseball and disagree what impact managers can have on the game, but Jones record after leading in the sixth inning or later can't be ignored when evaluating him thus far and the impact in game adjustments have had in this situation.

I hope Billy continues to improve in recruiting and in game management and we get back to winning 35 games a year and he mends fences with baseball donors. It would help bridge the football offseason like the Pollard years did. This is his first head coaching job, perhaps he will.

AppDawg
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue May 10, 2016 10:28 pm

This is actually BJs second head coaching gig and 3rd if you count a stint in the cape cod league. Overall his record was 59-59-2 prior to App.

He was head coach of the Green River Gators community college team in '97 and '98. Similar to our situation at App, the 3 prior years to his arrival saw the team go: 27-9, 28-13, & 28-11.

BJ's 1st season the record fell to 19-17. He then followed it up with a 23-17 season. Not too much different than what has happened on the Mountain, other than a declining record year over year now.

BJ also coached a team in the Cape Cod league - the Brewster WhiteCaps in 2001. Took that team to a last place finish with a record of 17-25-2.

http://www.greenriver.edu/campus-life/a ... seball.htm

http://capecodbaseball.org.ismmedia.com ... dings.html

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:38 am

Great research, I didn't realize that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”