Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

WSJ: Smith gets crash course in D-I baseball

asu66
School: Appalachian State

WSJ: Smith gets crash course in D-I baseball

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Not crazy about the title attached to this feature, but here it is. The author, Kegan Lowe, is a grad of the UNC School of Journalism & Mass Communication. Wonder if he's our new beat writer?

To describe the past 10 days in Kermit Smith’s life as a whirlwind would perhaps be an understatement as grand as the Appalachian Mountains — the same gaping mountains that he and his family will now call home.

First, there was the life-altering news that broke on July 14, naming Smith the new head baseball coach at Appalachian State, after spending the previous seven seasons at Lander University in Greenwood, S.C.
i
As timing would have it, the enjoyment of Smith’s final two days of family vacation in Hilton Head Island, S.C., were cut short, as the 16-year coaching veteran was forced to answer phone calls for the remainder of the trip. Read on here...

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/ba ... ffd1e.html
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppinVA

Re: WSJ: Smith gets crash course in D-I baseball

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:25 am

asu66 wrote:Not crazy about the title attached to this feature, but here it is. The author, Kegan Lowe, is a grad of the UNC School of Journalism & Mass Communication. Wonder if he's our new beat writer?

To describe the past 10 days in Kermit Smith’s life as a whirlwind would perhaps be an understatement as grand as the Appalachian Mountains — the same gaping mountains that he and his family will now call home.

First, there was the life-altering news that broke on July 14, naming Smith the new head baseball coach at Appalachian State, after spending the previous seven seasons at Lander University in Greenwood, S.C.
i
As timing would have it, the enjoyment of Smith’s final two days of family vacation in Hilton Head Island, S.C., were cut short, as the 16-year coaching veteran was forced to answer phone calls for the remainder of the trip. Read on here...

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/ba ... ffd1e.html
I'd hope a school as esteemed as the UNC-CHeat school of Journalism would drill out a crutch lede as weak as that from its graduates. Yuck.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppDawg

Re: WSJ: Smith gets crash course in D-I baseball

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:27 am

From what I was able to find on the interwebs, Kegan graduated from the hill in 2015... Thus, this is his 1st job.

Tidbit: it appears he also was a student manager of their baseball team during his time in school.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”