Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB: App State @ CCU 2 PM HTC Center, Conway, SC

Seattleapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB: App State @ CCU 2 PM HTC Center, Conway, SC

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:06 pm
app97 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:33 pm
How about Jason Williford, associate head coach at UVA. He’s spent 10 years as an assistant at Virginia, though, so he might be too good for us.
If he's coaching at UVA and has coached there 10 years, he thinks he's too good for anybody (including UNC and Dook) except UVA. That's the way things roll in Charlottesville. If they gave out national championships for arrogance UVA would win the trophy every year.
Dude what the hell are you talking about? UVA’s basketball program is the very definition of what collegiate student athletes are supposed to be. That might be the dumbest comment I’ve ever read on this board and that’s saying something. Never mind that Richie McKay went to Liberty

swva appfan

Unread post by swva appfan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:14 pm
Arsenal App wrote:
app97 wrote:
How about Jason Williford, associate head coach at UVA. He’s spent 10 years as an assistant at Virginia, though, so he might be too good for us.
If he's coaching at UVA and has coached there 10 years, he thinks he's too good for anybody (including UNC and Dook) except UVA. That's the way things roll in Charlottesville. If they gave out national championships for arrogance UVA would win the trophy every year.
Dude what the hell are you talking about? UVA’s basketball program is the very definition of what collegiate student athletes are supposed to be. That might be the dumbest comment I’ve ever read on this board and that’s saying something. Never mind that Richie McKay went to Liberty
I was going to mention Ritchie but decided to leave it be. Thanks
Plus Ron Sanchez was at UVA for like 9 seasons and is now in Charlotte.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 pm

Shit at this point I'd take a Graduate Assistant. Something...anything to make this end. Hell, we can go opposite end of the spectrum too. Paul Westhead or Nolan Richardson willing to come out of retirement? What's most important is that we part ways with what we currently have in Fox.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:23 am

Just show up with brown bags over your heads. It is embarrassing at this point.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 am

Arsenal App wrote:
app97 wrote:
Why would he want to coach at Duke when he has a chance to coach at his alma mater and coach actual student athletes rather a group of one semester athletes? Moreover, he is actually the associate head coach.

I do like your EPL choice.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:29 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:17 pm
app97 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 pm
I’m at the Radford vs UNCA game. The Highlanders move the ball well, get lots of easy interior buckets and dunks, and play great defense with active hands. If they can do it with what I assume is a pretty small budget, we can too.
Yeah Radford is good right now, definitely would be a guy to look into. The dream hire would be the coach from Furman, I know that's probably not even remotely realistic but I'd at least make a call.
If we’re being honest, both of those coaches have a chance to make 4 or 5 times more than they currently do with continued success (similar to Nick McDevitt leaving UNCA for MTSU). Although he went to a mid major program and conference, he significantly increased his income and livelihood. We can’t match that for b-ball, based on recent history.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 pm

First let me make myself totally clear. This is not a dig at anyone else’s opinion. I didn’t understand last year when there was a sense App/Gillin had to give Fox an extension to help program and recruit continuity. Now one year later we’re in the exact position (or worse in my opinion since a coaching change will require a buy out) we were in a year ago and will have to make a decision regarding the program’s leadership. How are we any better off At this point in time then we would’ve been if we had not extended the coaching contract? Any recruits we are looking at now will unlikely make a decision just like it was noted last year as one of the reasons for an extension. So now we have potentially even more multiple years to try and right the ship because of the extension last year. Again this is not sarcasm I’m truly trying to understand.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:45 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 pm
Shit at this point I'd take a Graduate Assistant. Something...anything to make this end. Hell, we can go opposite end of the spectrum too. Paul Westhead or Nolan Richardson willing to come out of retirement? What's most important is that we part ways with what we currently have in Fox.
I thought making a run at Nolan Richardson would have been worth a try after Fancher was shown the door. Money wouldn't have been a problem. He has plenty of that. All he would have wanted was another chance at coaching in order to have a better ending than what happened to him at Arkansas. Jerry Moore knew him from their days together at Arkansas. One phone call from Jerry could have at least gotten Nolan to come in for an interview.

Such a run never happened and I understand why with Richardson's baggage but we can't say that the program would be in worse shape today if he had come to Boone. Things right now are about as bad as they can get.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:34 pm

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Go easy with me on the exact times here, because I don't have immediate access to the Live Stats but...

I had a bad feeling about the way the first-half ended. Despite a pretty strong comeback effort to get the score within striking distance before the half ended, the Apps stalled somewhere around the under five min. mark. It looked as if the comeback might have been for naught until true freshman Breki Gylfason hit two straight high-arching treys with the second of the two coming with under 60 seconds remaining. Some sloppy play followed and a time-out was called with about 40 seconds left in the half.

Coach Fox proceeded to take Gylfason (the only Mountaineer with anything resembling a hot hand at that point) out of the game. When play resumed, the Apps got two possessions before the horn. I betcha you can guess the outcome.

Shabazz clanked an off-balance trey attempt off of the back of the rim--rebound CCU. Then with single-digit seconds on the clock, the last Apps' possession resulted in a poor-ball-handling turnover. Two chances to cut deeper into the Chant lead went right down the drain. From that moment, I thought the game would end badly for us--yet again.

Fox is completely obsessed with sending Shabazz to the NBA. Our team and knowledgeable fans are pretty worn out with it! Worn out, I fear, to the point of giving up on the season.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:00 am

If a coaching change occurs I'd prefer it happen at the end of the season. I'm not a fan of mid-season coaching changes in college sports. We still have talented players who deserve to see the season out & hopefully will stick with us if a coaching change occurs (not to mention our recruits).

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:01 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm
app97 wrote:
I hope for a lower level coach who has shown that they know how to run a program and teach basketball. Please no assistants who might, or might not, be able to learn to do it.
Agree with you. I too want a current head coach with a winning record.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 am

agentpaul001 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:00 am
If a coaching change occurs I'd prefer it happen at the end of the season. I'm not a fan of mid-season coaching changes in college sports. We still have talented players who deserve to see the season out & hopefully will stick with us if a coaching change occurs (not to mention our recruits).
What if a midseason change is our best hope of salvaging the season AND possibly those recruits?

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:29 am

agentpaul001 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:00 am
Who cares what you prefer? You still have this delusional agenda that this season can be saved. It’s over! The sooner Fox is gone the better

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Welcome aboard. Hand the keys to Allison. Now.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:17 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:57 pm
Fox is completely obsessed with sending Shabazz to the NBA. Our team and knowledgeable fans are pretty worn out with it! Worn out, I fear, to the point of giving up on the season.
Kind of like how Davidson suffered when they were trying to get Curry NBA-ready. Now they were in a better position and still made the NIT, but still, it was a disappointing season after their nearly-Final Four run.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:29 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:17 pm
asu66 wrote:
Kind of like how Davidson suffered when they were trying to get Curry NBA-ready. Now they were in a better position and still made the NIT, but still, it was a disappointing season after their nearly-Final Four run.
Losing Jason Richards played a large role in that decline.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:29 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:17 pm
asu66 wrote:
Losing Jason Richards played a large role in that decline.
Yeah, I’m gonna say our current predicament bears approximately zero resemblance to Curry-era Davidson. And you’re right, they moved him to the point because the excellent PG they had before graduated.

I don’t know if Fox is really focused as much on showcasing Shabazz as people think, but if he is then he’s doing a bad job of it.

tjpappy

Unread post by tjpappy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:42 pm

EastHallApp wrote: I don’t know if Fox is really focused as much on showcasing Shabazz as people think, but if he is then he’s doing a bad job of it.

Agreed- I don't really get the line of thinking that the problem is that Shabazz is being groomed for the next level. I don't see it. Nobody looks good right now. However, I know there are those with inside info and I have none.

It just seems familiar that some blame the most productive player on the team for holding the team back. I recall the same thing when Frank Eaves was on the team. If that is the case, then I would look at the coaches...How are they not seeing the detrimental effects of things that seem so clear to others.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:55 pm

tjpappy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:42 pm
EastHallApp wrote: I don’t know if Fox is really focused as much on showcasing Shabazz as people think, but if he is then he’s doing a bad job of it.

Agreed- I don't really get the line of thinking that the problem is that Shabazz is being groomed for the next level. I don't see it. Nobody looks good right now. However, I know there are those with inside info and I have none.

It just seems familiar that some blame the most productive player on the team for holding the team back. I recall the same thing when Frank Eaves was on the team. If that is the case, then I would look at the coaches...How are they not seeing the detrimental effects of things that seem so clear to others.
Let us know when you have the answer. It’s as if zero adjustments have been made

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”