The ASU coaching search and potential candidates to discuss

appstate77
School: Appalachian State

Re: The ASU coaching search and potential candidates to disc

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Talked to a well connected Wofford grad today, my pastor in fact. Said Young's wife is a well established stock broker in Sburg with Price Waterhouse. He doubts that they would move given this. I tend to agree.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 pm

24AppState wrote:I could like the Lutz hire. Anybody think if in fact Lutz is the guy, it could be his final destination? Nothing is for sure, but he is much older than some of these other names mentioned. Thoughts?
Maybe. The more I think about this though, I like the VCU guy, Rhoades.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:10 pm

I really don't want Lutz. It just feels dirty since he was Charlotte's coach for so long and his team was lacking in discipline worse than Capel's squads were. If there was a Fulmer Cup for college hoops, some of his last teams would have been in the running.

Re: Mike Young. I did hear the joke after Capel was fired that if we gave Mr Young a raise to come to Boone, we'd have to give Mrs Young a raise as well.

spong

Unread post by spong » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:11 pm

appstate77 wrote:Talked to a well connected Wofford grad today, my pastor in fact. Said Young's wife is a well established stock broker in Sburg with Price Waterhouse. He doubts that they would move given this. I tend to agree.
I would be excited to see Young in Boone but honestly I don't think he is a good fit. His teams don't play the kind of ball that will get people from out of town driving up to the mountain to see.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:12 pm

24AppState wrote:I could like the Lutz hire. Anybody think if in fact Lutz is the guy, it could be his final destination? Nothing is for sure, but he is much older than some of these other names mentioned. Thoughts?
If App is going to hire a coach who would stay long-term, it would probably be someone like Lutz. Former HC who was fired from a bigger school, is a little older (but not close to retirement age yet). By the time he would have built up App enough to attract notice from bigger programs, he'd probably be at an age where they'd prefer someone younger. IOW, like Jerry Moore.

I'm not saying Lutz is my first choice - he's not. But I could see it playing out that way.

thegreengopher

Unread post by thegreengopher » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:30 pm

While there's no doubt Lutz could be a good hire and isn't necessarily a bad coach, would he get the fan base and community excited about basketball? Is he what you really want? You kinda already know what you're getting with him. Shouldn't we hire someone who wants to prove themselves and has that potential to be excited about. Guys like McMahon and Rhoades bring that IMO. Both of which are in Mid Major power programs of high success and both are excellent recruiters. With McMahon's ties to the program, his ties to recruiting in NC, TN, VA, KY and being at Murray Nationwide recruiting potential I still go back to him as the best choice for the job.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Would rather have a real winner from D2 or D3 if necessary.
Someone that only knows winning on the court and recruiting.
They may not know what cannot be done, and achieve more than
people would think possible.
Lose them in a couple of years, find another the same way.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:04 pm

thegreengopher wrote:Every coach desires to move up the ranks. Viewing this job as ONLY a stepping stone and actually having a vested interest and desire to make the program healthy are two different things.
Agreed, but no one can predict how soon success and opportunities may come one's way or how he might act at that time.
As an example, even though Roy Williams actually left Kansas for his alma mater, he showed a great deal of admiration and care for his former players and the basketball program at Kansas, although he had no apparent "vested interest." Contrast that with Melvin Watkins, who was an adored hero and member of the Final Four team of 1977 at UNCc, who was on the way to restoring the glory days until Texas A&M called, and all he left was a cloud of dust.
It all depends on the individual.
Right now, I'm more concerned with getting a great coach instead of losing one.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Earl the Pearl wrote:Bobby Lutz is the guy that Cobb has focused on. I have heard this from several sources.
If true ASU's hiring practices are getting to be a joke. Another national search - another coach right in our own backyard.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:59 pm

spong wrote:
appstate77 wrote:Talked to a well connected Wofford grad today, my pastor in fact. Said Young's wife is a well established stock broker in Sburg with Price Waterhouse. He doubts that they would move given this. I tend to agree.
I would be excited to see Young in Boone but honestly I don't think he is a good fit. His teams don't play the kind of ball that will get people from out of town driving up to the mountain to see.
This, I am sure Young is a good coach and a good person. Just from what I have seen of his teams play, not exactly an exciting brand of ball. More of a weave-and-heave type. That does not put arses in seats.
Record is not great either. When I lived in Indianpolis, Ron Hunter, Current GA. State HC, was same at IUPUI which was trans. from NAIA. Not only could he win some games but he was everywhere promoting that program, radio, tv, INdy 500, you name it he was doing it. That is what we need. PT Barnum/John Wooden. Now who is that candidate??

spong

Unread post by spong » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:12 pm

It is looking like Mike Rhoades will soon be off the market and is getting interest from school that can out-bid us (and have a higher potential for early success).

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketba ... moving-on/

*FIU will probably offer in the $250,000 range

falcoapp

Unread post by falcoapp » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:32 pm

The time is now to get this young up and comer from a D2 powerhouse... (79-18) last three seasons. Ranked #1, heartbreaking loss in last years D2 National Champ. game.

http://gometrostate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=261

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:54 pm

IF we could hire Mike Rhoades, the VCU associate head coach, it would be a major turning point for our program. No other candidate in our realm comes close.

Mountainrunner1

Unread post by Mountainrunner1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:53 pm

Coach Rhoades and Coach Lutz to this point are the only ones that have been contacted by our Athletic Department. More will come once the Tournament is over with! Money will be thrown at whoever we hire that is a fact!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:21 pm

appfanjj wrote:IF we could hire Mike Rhoades, the VCU associate head coach, it would be a major turning point for our program. No other candidate in our realm comes close.
I *almost* completely agree with this statement. Rhoades appears to have all the right stuff...integrity, personality, knowledge, previous success, unlimited potential, mental toughness, intensity, the heart of a lion; and the energy of a 10 month old Dachshund puppy (they never get tired). The only part of your statement that I disagree with is your remark about no other coach in our realm comes close to Rhoades. There's no question that he'd be a big catch, but there are others who can do what we need done.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

IF we could hire him, it would give our program instant credibility and a lot of positive media attention. We would almost be relevant before playing a game with him as our coach. Sure, there are others out there that could possibly get it done but none are as certain. We should aspire to become what VCU has become. Might be tougher given that we are a football school and Boone isn't exactly Richmond, but we have had success in the past so the future is ours depending on who we hire. Our students and alumni deserve a basketball program they can be proud of.

wataugan03

Unread post by wataugan03 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm

appfanjj wrote: We should aspire to become what VCU has become.
I generally, agree with your post, but wanted to note that VCU didn't just become something overnight with Jeff Capel. They were a regional power in the 80's, they never made a run in the NCAA tournament, but they were similar to what Davidson has been (minus the one elite eight season). They weren't special in the 90's, but even in their "bad" decade they had an NCAA appearance and were over .500 without playing weak schedules. They were always willing to spend money on head coaches, assistant coaches, recruiting budgets, etc. and everyone recognized them as a serious program (similar to Georgia Southern in their football downturn). For example, I don't know what it took them to get Mack McCarthy from UTC in the 90's, but its the kind of move that only a very serious program could make.

VCU takes basketball as seriously as we take football, they have done so for 3 decades. We might get a few great years out of the right coach, but to do what VCU has done the last 10 years is going to require a serious long-term commitment to take basketball as seriously as football. VCU, Witchita State, Creighton, Xavier, etc. don't just become good by making one nice higher and then riding the momentum.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
thegreengopher wrote:I don't believe we are looking at any coach staying here for 10-20 years. I'm not saying that based on whether or not a coach views the job as a stepping stone. In reality it's hard to turn away 2x, 3x, and sometimes 4x the money. All I'm saying is I'd rather someone be here for 4-8 years with a vested interest in the program being healthy and a viable mid major program before jumping ship, rather than someone who may jump ship at the first sniff at another "higher" position.
My thoughts exactly.
In my opinion, unless we are REALLY lucky, we are not going to get the program we want quick....Appalachian is not a destination school for most of the people interested in the job and most of the people we would want in the job!

I'd take winning, and moving to the next coach and winning and continuing that cycle....until we become more of a destination school.
Go APPS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Let me preface this by saying there's always uncertainty with any first-time D1 HC. And, there's no one "right hire" - there are numerous coaches out there who could be successful at App.

With that out of the way, Mike Rhoades IMO would be such a home run hire that I don't even want to let myself get my hopes up.

If App goes after him, you have to think we won't be the only ones.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:56 am

wataugan03 wrote:
appfanjj wrote: We should aspire to become what VCU has become.
I generally, agree with your post, but wanted to note that VCU didn't just become something overnight with Jeff Capel. They were a regional power in the 80's, they never made a run in the NCAA tournament, but they were similar to what Davidson has been (minus the one elite eight season). They weren't special in the 90's, but even in their "bad" decade they had an NCAA appearance and were over .500 without playing weak schedules. They were always willing to spend money on head coaches, assistant coaches, recruiting budgets, etc. and everyone recognized them as a serious program (similar to Georgia Southern in their football downturn). For example, I don't know what it took them to get Mack McCarthy from UTC in the 90's, but its the kind of move that only a very serious program could make.

VCU takes basketball as seriously as we take football, they have done so for 3 decades. We might get a few great years out of the right coach, but to do what VCU has done the last 10 years is going to require a serious long-term commitment to take basketball as seriously as football. VCU, Witchita State, Creighton, Xavier, etc. don't just become good by making one nice higher and then riding the momentum.
The wife went to VCU and dad went to Xavier so I follow two of those teams you mentioned. When's school doesn't have football, the basketball program is the most important athletic decision on campus. All of those schools have take a new basketball hire very seriously and have a string of good coaches move on only to be replaced with someone better, particularly Xavier- they went from Pete Gillian, Skip Prosser, Thad Matta, Sean Miller, and now Mack who the jury's still out on but no doubt the program has risen every time. Same with VCU. Both are now at appoint where their coach is probably not going to leave for a better job anymore. And that is why I think someone like Mike Rhoades could be attainable by the way. Shaka Smart has turned down power conference jobs already and signed a long term contract, I think he knows he has a good deal at VCU and isn't going anywhere. So Rhoades, who I don't think wants to leave Richmond, likely knows if he wants to be a head coach he is going to have to go elsewhere.

The biggest factor with Xavier and VCU success, I think, is the extremely high number of local alumni, my wife and almost everyone she went to school with live in Richmond. VCU and Xavier have been sold out for years - you can get guys to want to come play in that atmosphere.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”