The ASU coaching search and potential candidates to discuss

ASUMountaineer
School: Appalachian State

Re: The ASU coaching search and potential candidates to disc

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:46 am

spong wrote:It is looking like Mike Rhoades will soon be off the market and is getting interest from school that can out-bid us (and have a higher potential for early success).

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketba ... moving-on/

*FIU will probably offer in the $250,000 range
IIRC, we were paying Buzz close to that. Of course, he may just like Miami better than Boone. :?
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:00 am

Personally I just think it's a little "apples to oranges" to compare what APP might/could do in basketball to what VCU, Creighton, Wichita State have done --- as mentioned earlier by caa - these schools are driven by basketball (and in some case don't even have football) as APP is driven by football - that's not to say a school can't be good in both, just different ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 am

WVAPPeer wrote:Personally I just think it's a little "apples to oranges" to compare what APP might/could do in basketball to what VCU, Creighton, Wichita State have done --- as mentioned earlier by caa - these schools are driven by basketball (and in some case don't even have football) as APP is driven by football - that's not to say a school can't be good in both, just different ---
I forget which thread it was, but someone made this point a few weeks ago and asked for examples of mid-major type programs that are successful in both sports. Without going back to see the full list I posted, I know I mentioned a few examples such as MTSU, San Diego St., Southern Miss, Western Kentucky, and Boise St.

For that matter, look no further than our soon-to-be conference opponent Louisiana-Lafayette - several bowl appearances in a row, and now in the NCAA Tournament this year.

Oh yeah, another one that just came to mind that might be a good comparison for App - Delaware had a terrific year in basketball this year. Also, Montana has had some good teams in recent years. If they can get enough players to those areas to win their conferences, surely App can!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 am

ASUMountaineer wrote:
spong wrote:It is looking like Mike Rhoades will soon be off the market and is getting interest from school that can out-bid us (and have a higher potential for early success).

IIRC, we were paying Buzz close to that. Of course, he may just like Miami better than Boone. :?
Had a friend coaching at FIU, she left saying it was very expensive to live in that area. He may not like the pace of life in that area either.
Bring Your A Game!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:39 am

huskie3 wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

Had a friend coaching at FIU, she left saying it was very expensive to live in that area. He may not like the pace of life in that area either.

Having lived in both south FL and Boone I can say without question the Boone real estate market is far more expensive for a comparable home. So if he is scared of FIU housing costs he really won't like the high country.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:00 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

Having lived in both south FL and Boone I can say without question the Boone real estate market is far more expensive for a comparable home. So if he is scared of FIU housing costs he really won't like the high country.
Of all the factors Rhoades might consider in such a hypothetical decision, I doubt real estate costs will be near the top of the list. I doubt he'd view either as a place he'll be staying more than a few years.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:52 pm

huskie3 wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

Florida also has no state income tax. So we can't compete $$$ wise with them but our tradition is far superior to theirs.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:27 pm

don't know the housing market in Boone, but I live in South Florida, FIU is 20 minutes from Miami, an average home in a decent neighborhood will probably run you in the mid to high 200's. Also the cost of living here is SF, especially in Miami, is high, higher than most if not all communities in NC, again, I don't know what it cost to live in Boone, but I cant imagine its higher than Miami.

Watauga72

Unread post by Watauga72 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Looks like Bruce Pearl to Auburn. One potential (somewhat slimey) option gone.

spong

Unread post by spong » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 pm

based off the rumor mill (which we know is always right) here is where we are right now:

App State has no interest in Matt McMahon and if offered the job he would probably turn it down.

Bobby Lutz, the former coach of UNCC and current assistant at NC State, is our top candidate.

MIke Rhoades, current assistant at VCU and former successful head coach at the D3 level, is a close secondary candidate.

Derrick Clark, the coach at Metro State (D2), is a fall-back candidate.

Based off of comparable it looks App is looking to spend between $200,000 and $300,000 on a coach.

Bobby Lutz is making around $225,000 right now at NC State. He seems to be happy and is winning games. If he really wants to be a head coach again his name is also coming up for the UNCW job.

Mike Rhoades' name has come up for the FIU job. Based off comparable they are looking to pay him around $250,000.

Both of these coaches will probably have their names on several coaching lists for other school in coming days.

As of now Derrick Clark's name has not appeared on any other lists and it is unexpected for it to since few D1 schools look to D2 schools for coaches.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:37 pm

spong wrote:based off the rumor mill (which we know is always right) here is where we are right now:

App State has no interest in Matt McMahon and if offered the job he would probably turn it down.

Bobby Lutz, the former coach of UNCC and current assistant at NC State, is our top candidate.

MIke Rhoades, current assistant at VCU and former successful head coach at the D3 level, is a close secondary candidate.

Based off of comparable it looks App is looking to spend between $200,000 and $300,000 on a coach.

Bobby Lutz is making around $225,000 right now at NC State. He seems to be happy and is winning games. If he really wants to be a head coach again his name is also coming up for the UNCW job.

Mike Rhoades' name has come up for the FIU job. Based off comparable they are looking to pay him around $250,000.

Both of these coaches will probably have their names on several coaching lists for other school in coming days.

As of now Derrick Clark's name has not appeared on any other lists and it is unexpected for it to since few D1 schools look to D2 schools for coaches.
I think Cobb might be floating the idea that Matt would turn down the job to cover himself for not going after McMahon. I know he would be interested in the job if he was a candidate.

Your info on Lutz backs up what I was told Sunday evening.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:37 pm

The ear to the ground tells me we are also on the yellow brick road to somewhere near Aunti Em's house but they aren't there anymore because they are at the dance.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Do we seriously want to hire a coach who was fired from Charlotte? He obviously didn't get it done there so why would we want him? We can do better. ALOT better.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 am

We hired a fired former head coach in football and that worked out well....

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 am

its important that App hires someone who will immediately excite the alumi, students, and the Boone community, Lutz. isn't that guy, hiring him will be perceived as a very safe pick, someone who will do a nice job, but isn't going to take program to the next level, probably a 500 program. Im also concerned he didn't recruit well, the last 4 years at UNCC the talent dropped significantly, just wasn't getting the recruits. I hope Charlie doesn't let the Capels hire influence him to the point where he is "gun shy" about hiring the best coach possible, and just wants to bring in a safe experienced coach.

falcoapp

Unread post by falcoapp » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 am

spong wrote:based off the rumor mill (which we know is always right) here is where we are right now:

Clark is who we want. This school has produced D1 coaches and NBA (Mike Dunlap).

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:45 am

moehler wrote:its important that App hires someone who will immediately excite the alumi, students, and the Boone community, Lutz. isn't that guy, hiring him will be perceived as a very safe pick, someone who will do a nice job, but isn't going to take program to the next level, probably a 500 program. Im also concerned he didn't recruit well, the last 4 years at UNCC the talent dropped significantly, just wasn't getting the recruits. I hope Charlie doesn't let the Capels hire influence him to the point where he is "gun shy" about hiring the best coach possible, and just wants to bring in a safe experienced coach.
Personally, I think Rhoades is the best candidate. I don't think CC should be "gun shy" about hiring him as his stock is clearly rising. IMO, that could be an even "safer" pick than Lutz. I don't know, I won't be "raving mad" if Lutz is the guy, but I'm hoping for a late push for Rhoades.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

lillycafe

Unread post by lillycafe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:08 am

http://www.fiusports.com/InsideAthletic ... Evans.aspx

Unless Anthony Evans has gotten fired, Rhoades is not going there!!

The article referenced earlier about the possibility of Rhoades to FIU was from April 2013 after Richard Pitino left to go to Minnesota!!
Last edited by lillycafe on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 am

Damn - we got out-bid ---

Bruce Pearl lands $14.7 million deal
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:23 am

watched this morning Pearl getting off a private jet in Auburn, you would have thought it was the second coming of John Wooden, Pearl was at his best, cracking jokes, bragged about how much money they were paying him, hugging everyone within arms reach, this guy loves attention. It will be interesting to see if he can follow the rules, I think he will be on his best behavior for the first couple of years because the NCAA will be watching closely, but, honestly, he is coaching at a University that has a reputation that is all about winning, and if the coaches cheat to win, and they don't get caught, the administration is fine with that. I wonder once he starts winning, and he feels "bullet proof" like he did at Tenn will he go back to his old ways.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”