MBB vs JMU, 6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Saturday, Jan. 27, 2024, Holmes Center, 111 Rivers St., Boone, N.C., 28605, big crowd

AppDub
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB vs JMU, 6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Saturday, Jan. 27, 2024, Holmes Center, 111 Rivers St., Boone, N.C., 28605, big cro

Unread post by AppDub » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:57 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:22 am
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:08 am
Bootsy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:30 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:28 pm
Who were these season ticket holders who didn't show up behind both benches? I estimate between 25-50 seats that were empty the entire game. Take their season tickets away!!!!! :lol:
I can't believe they didn't offer those seats to some of our wild, enthusiastic students. Or at least, email season ticket holders and ask them to consider selling/giving the tickets away if they can't make it to the game.
I've said before, and I'll say again, if I ever get to own a team I'll have an app where season ticket holders have to select if they are going to a game within like 12 hours of it starting. If they don't, those tickets get sold for $10. It drives me crazy, especially in baseball season, to see 50 empty seats behind home plate but the upper-upper deck is packed.

Now I just gotta figure out how to make a billion dollars so I can buy a team... any ideas?
You already have a billion dollar idea: seizing other people's property and reselling it.
I think the government has this market cornered.

appgrad95&97

Re: MBB vs JMU, 6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Saturday, Jan. 27, 2024, Holmes Center, 111 Rivers St., Boone, N.C., 28605, big cro

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:39 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:57 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:28 pm
Who were these season ticket holders who didn't show up behind both benches? I estimate between 25-50 seats that were empty the entire game. Take their season tickets away!!!!! :lol:
I can't believe they didn't offer those seats to some of our wild, enthusiastic students. Or at least, email season ticket holders and ask them to consider selling/giving the tickets away if they can't make it to the game.
I've said before, and I'll say again, if I ever get to own a team I'll have an app where season ticket holders have to select if they are going to a game within like 12 hours of it starting. If they don't, those tickets get sold for $10. It drives me crazy, especially in baseball season, to see 50 empty seats behind home plate but the upper-upper deck is packed.

Now I just gotta figure out how to make a billion dollars so I can buy a team... any ideas?
You already have a billion dollar idea: seizing other people's property and reselling it.
Haha fair point. However, if you put this in the season ticket holder's agreement when they purchase the ticket, it wouldn't matter. I mean, is it even really their "property"? Yes, they paid for it, but the chair belongs to the team/stadium. The ticket holder has just paid for the ability to sit in it.
Hey there MrCraig, how 'bout you get season tickets, then we can talk about who's seat it is.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:32 pm

I had three empty seats next to me. Two co-eds and a guy walked up late in the first half and asked if they could sit there. I said sure, but if the ticker holders come, then they're out of luck. Ticket holders didn't show up.

I think if a seat hasn't been occupied by the first half U8 timeout, then it should be fair game for students.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:53 pm

I wish I could see our revenue numbers from that basketball game. We need to work that into part of our coaches contracts for both Basketball and Baseball. Not only do you need to win to get paid but you need to sell tickets. Kerns and team deserve a huge bonus from the filling of the Holmes. Give them half of ticket sales in the contract. It wouldn't cost us anything in the budget. I doubt we had a sellout figured in the revenue this year. A coach that believes in himself would probably be willing to sign that based on Kerns proving it can be done. The fans are there....they just need to have a product to come watch.

The school (App) just needs the exposure and the TV contract.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:18 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:39 pm
MrCraig wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Haha fair point. However, if you put this in the season ticket holder's agreement when they purchase the ticket, it wouldn't matter. I mean, is it even really their "property"? Yes, they paid for it, but the chair belongs to the team/stadium. The ticket holder has just paid for the ability to sit in it.
Hey there MrCraig, how 'bout you get season tickets, then we can talk about who's seat it is.
Friend, if I could afford them, I'd have them. And I'd let even the most antagonistic poster on this website use them if I wasn't able to. Why wouldn't I, as an App State alumn and fan, not want another App State fan to enjoy a game and be as close to the action as possible? Being bent out of shape because someone is using something that is "mine" that I'm not using anyway is just about the epitome of selfishness and greed.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:20 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:49 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:53 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:16 am
Way back in the original Hornet days when I lived in Charlotte me and my buddies would routinely slide down from the nosebleed section into the lower level high dollar seats when we saw those people didn't show up. Long before the secondary market was a big thing. Rarely did we get booted out.
Used to do this at Braves games when they were mediocre/bad in the mid-2000s. Now that they're good again, the ushers are a lot more strict.
Went to a Marlins game last summer and when I went to pull my phone out to show the usher my ticket he said, "Don't worry man. Just sit wherever you want."
We made sure we wore a sports coat and tie (so that we looked important I guess) and walked down to the best seats available. If the people showed up we acted embarrassed and said "oh we are in a different section". Typically nobody actually came and we were astonished that people paid good money (even in the mid to late 80's) for pro basketball seats and didn't show up. I think we probably paid $8 for nosebleeds and often sat behind the bench. Oh to be 25 again.
As a grown man with two kids, a mortgage, and gray hair, I tried to sneak into the pit section at a concert last summer. When the security guard stopped me and asked to see my wristband, I said, "Oh! Uh... I'm just looking for the bathroom."
That man looked at me like I was the stupidest person on earth, which I may have been at that moment.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:36 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:32 pm
I had three empty seats next to me. Two co-eds and a guy walked up late in the first half and asked if they could sit there. I said sure, but if the ticker holders come, then they're out of luck. Ticket holders didn't show up.

I think if a seat hasn't been occupied by the first half U8 timeout, then it should be fair game for students.
They’ve posted on the video screens at USC this season for students to come down and fill in unused lower bowl tickets.

So it’s not unheard of. The TV product matters and 50 empty seats right behind the benches in a “sold out” game doesn’t look good.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:17 am

https://x.com/appbaseball/status/175269 ... 3hJ5cku44g

Go the the Baseball Hot Stove banquet and get a free ticket to Men’s Basketball v Toledo ticket right after. And get to see Hector Crespo speak, one of Apps best in this century, also a great guy, friend and teammate! Go Apps.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:39 am

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:18 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Friend, if I could afford them, I'd have them. And I'd let even the most antagonistic poster on this website use them if I wasn't able to. Why wouldn't I, as an App State alumn and fan, not want another App State fan to enjoy a game and be as close to the action as possible? Being bent out of shape because someone is using something that is "mine" that I'm not using anyway is just about the epitome of selfishness and greed.
I give my tickets away when I can't use them. That is not my issue. My issue is with your idea that my tickets can be resold by the University if I don't go or sign in 12 hours before the game.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:58 pm

Mrcraig...I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. There is nothing worse than your season ticket neighbor giving tickets to some Yahoo that acts like a fool. Your definition of "acts like a fool" may be different from someone else definition of "acts like a fool". Now I do think it is common courtesy to offer your tickets to your season ticket neighbor for them to bring someone if they want to.

P.S. One of my favorite reactions ever, was when one of my friends and I bought season tickets to UNC to make sure we got the App tickets. We showed up loud and proud in the middle of a high end season ticket section with all of our black and gold. We won the game and it was too much fun.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:43 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:39 am
MrCraig wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

I give my tickets away when I can't use them. That is not my issue. My issue is with your idea that my tickets can be resold by the University if I don't go or sign in 12 hours before the game.
Yep, that is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Our ticket office does an outstanding job given the shoe-string budget they have. To have them manage this process "real time"...which is what it is ..will not be managed well...and, no, it cannot be managed effectively only electronically. Some season ticket holders will forget to "check in" ...so they show up...you tell them...snooze, you loose...so a few students can have those seats for one game. That is a great way to lose a season ticket holder.
Currently, at Holmes, there have only been two times this came into play this year..JMU and potentially Auburn...For all other games, the arena is 2/3rds or more empty...and it seems the students would want to be around other students..that is part of the fun for them.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:58 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:43 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Yep, that is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Our ticket office does an outstanding job given the shoe-string budget they have. To have them manage this process "real time"...which is what it is ..will not be managed well...and, no, it cannot be managed effectively only electronically. Some season ticket holders will forget to "check in" ...so they show up...you tell them...snooze, you loose...so a few students can have those seats for one game. That is a great way to lose a season ticket holder.
Currently, at Holmes, there have only been two times this came into play this year..JMU and potentially Auburn...For all other games, the arena is 2/3rds or more empty...and it seems the students would want to be around other students..that is part of the fun for them.
You guys are right. I have seen the error of my ways. When I am able to buy a professional sports franchise, or am named president of ticket operations at Appalachian State, I will NOT allow unused season tickets to be used by people at a discount in order to have more fans closer to the action.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:07 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:58 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

You guys are right. I have seen the error of my ways. When I am able to buy a professional sports franchise, or am named president of ticket operations at Appalachian State, I will NOT allow unused season tickets to be used by people at a discount in order to have more fans closer to the action.
Finally! What took so long 🤣🤣
#99ForPresident!!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:32 pm

MrCraig wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

In fairness, I think I get where you were coming from. We just (maybe) disagree about the problem. I think the problem is that not enough fans show up to support the team. Not counting Auburn and JMU, have we had 4k at a game? I don't care where people sit, and honestly I don't really care what it looks like on ESPN+. I wish more people showed up to watch and support a generationaly good App basketball team.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:46 pm

It's not hard...

If season ticket holder has not shown up by half time have an usher invite someone else to fill their seat.

Crazy side story, I was about 5 people behind a girl trying to get in Saturday and her electronic ticket wouldn't work. The attendant asked "did you get that ticket from X (I couldn't quite hear him)?....yeah you got scammed". That's how big a deal that game was...fake tickets.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:29 pm

How about this? You carve out X number of sideline seats and when students come in and get their ID scanned the lucky (however many number) get those seats and are the 6th man for the game. Let them have a free beverage and a hot dog or something.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:32 pm

There are 8,300 seats, we average less then 3,000. Giving seats to students isn't an issue.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:16 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:32 pm
MrCraig wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

In fairness, I think I get where you were coming from. We just (maybe) disagree about the problem. I think the problem is that not enough fans show up to support the team. Not counting Auburn and JMU, have we had 4k at a game? I don't care where people sit, and honestly I don't really care what it looks like on ESPN+. I wish more people showed up to watch and support a generationaly good App basketball team.
I completely agree. Also, I was speaking more generally. I understand that most App season ticket holders are normal folks who aren't necessarily "rich-rich." I was thinking more about pro baseball and basketball stadiums where there are always 50-100 seats behind the bench/home plate because some private equity firm didn't use their tickets that night. Let a regular fan experience that luxury every now and then!

When I win the Powerball and buy a minor league baseball team, I'm hiring you and BambooRd to help me with this stuff.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:41 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:16 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

I completely agree. Also, I was speaking more generally. I understand that most App season ticket holders are normal folks who aren't necessarily "rich-rich." I was thinking more about pro baseball and basketball stadiums where there are always 50-100 seats behind the bench/home plate because some private equity firm didn't use their tickets that night. Let a regular fan experience that luxury every now and then!

When I win the Powerball and buy a minor league baseball team, I'm hiring you and BambooRd to help me with this stuff.
I am in. I will have my agent work the negotiations. No hometown discounts here. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.🤣🤣
I did like one idea ...like under 8 minutes.. maybe let folks move down to floor...with understanding that, if ticket holders show, the ones who moved down have to move.
On your note, you are exactly right....for many baseball games, you see empty seats behind home plate unless it is weekend game.

Our neighbors (to the left of us) in NEZ never show and/or occasionally show. Given my distance from Boone, I plan our year out and either sell my tickets or donate to someone so the seats are taken. As to neighbors most games, no one is next to me. Personally, I like it as I really get into the games so I can move around a bit and not interfere with anyone...but would prefer they show so the stadium is packed and loud.
#99ForPresident!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:45 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:16 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

I believe the Knights and the Real Estate are for sell. $100M. Please buy, so Tepper doesn’t.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”