Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Carson-Newman exhbition impressions

proudofyosef
School: Appalachian State

Carson-Newman exhbition impressions

Unread post by proudofyosef » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Some quick impressions of a game that App trailed about 90 percent of the time:

--This team needs Neal back in the worst way. The freshman, Burgess, plays hard, but he's only 5-8 and not a very good shooter.
--Jay Canty is for real. He had 27 points and 10 boards. He'll be at least second-team All-SoCon.
--Okam is a lost cause. You can tell Capel wants to give him a chance and he just can't produce.
--Trice may enter the doghouse BEFORE the season begins. He's just so inconsistent.
--Michael Obacha is a keeper. He plays hard, physical and is a good post passer. Offensively, he's raw, but he really battles.

When Neal gets back healthy, here's the rotation I see:

PG: Neal
SG: Hamilton (very improved)
C: Obacha
SF: Canty
PF: Healy

Sixth man: Trice
7: Tevin Baskin (very athletic)
8. Burgess
9. Okam (lucky to get 10 mpg out of him)

Appfrom05

Re: Carson-Newman exhbition impressions

Unread post by Appfrom05 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:01 pm

We have got to shoot better if we expect to be a contender. Shooting 33% against sub-par competition is not going to cut it. I wish we could generate some fan support for the team but the only thing that will do that is winning. Hopefully we can get off on the right foot Friday.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 pm

ProudofYosef:

Thanks for the synopsis. I didn't see the game but I wouldn't give up on Okam just yet. Seven-footers are different animals. They can look gawky in the middle and they can shoot poorly from three feet, but they can also affect a game, particularly with their ability to misdirect shots and clog the lane. My litmus test for college centers is not how many points they score or even how many rebounds they get, but how did the team play when he was on the floor? If we stunk while he was out there, then perhaps you have a point. If not, then I'm betting he has more value to the team than you are giving him credit.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:17 pm

proudofyosef wrote:Some quick impressions of a game that App trailed about 90 percent of the time:

--This team needs Neal back in the worst way. The freshman, Burgess, plays hard, but he's only 5-8 and not a very good shooter.
--Jay Canty is for real. He had 27 points and 10 boards. He'll be at least second-team All-SoCon.
--Okam is a lost cause. You can tell Capel wants to give him a chance and he just can't produce.
--Trice may enter the doghouse BEFORE the season begins. He's just so inconsistent.
--Michael Obacha is a keeper. He plays hard, physical and is a good post passer. Offensively, he's raw, but he really battles.

8. Burgess
Lets give Trice a break, he is coming off an illness or two and needs to get his wind back in his sails.

ASU2416

Unread post by ASU2416 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:46 pm

I agree with pretty much all of the OP. Canty will be an all-conference selection. The guy is a load. I would really love to see more out of Okam. He needs to be more than just a presence. To me, it looked like we were content just passing the ball around the perimeter against their zone. No penetration or nothing. We didn't hit a crease in the zone and try to attack and make something happen. Luckily, this was just an exhibition game and there IS plenty to learn from. The football game is really big Saturday but I'm really looking forward to Friday night.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 pm

proudofyosef wrote:Some quick impressions of a game that App trailed about 90 percent of the time:

8. Burgess
1) Neal is not hurt, he is under academic suspension.
2) Burgess has shown me more of a Patterson/Thompson type of PG than Neal did all last season. Neal is more like Sims, but not near as good.
3) I think you are right about Trice being the first off the bench.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm

If we struggle against Div II competition, lord help us when we play Div I teams.

skjellyfetti

Unread post by skjellyfetti » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 pm

What is with the area behind one of the baskets? Was that just there temporarily for another event or are they planning that area for donors/boosters to each dinner and watch the game? Eliminates a lot of seats (not that we really need them) and moves the pep band way up in the rafters. I hope it is temporary...

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:18 am

skjellyfetti wrote:What is with the area behind one of the baskets? Was that just there temporarily for another event or are they planning that area for donors/boosters to each dinner and watch the game? Eliminates a lot of seats (not that we really need them) and moves the pep band way up in the rafters. I hope it is temporary...
From what I'm hearing it will be the new Yosef Club area.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”