Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App vs UTA - MBB

hbk999

Re: App vs UTA - MBB

Unread post by hbk999 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:09 pm

NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:In the forty years I've been involved ,championships , and I mean NCAA bids, have been rare,two .Outside of Bobby and Buzz zilch. Theories abound as to why but who really knows ....and yes not hiring Matt Mc Mahon was a yuge mistake. Anyway, Jim has two years to produce a winner. If he fails , we start over. Again.
Do we know for sure that Matt McMahon applied for the job and if we had the funds to pay his desired salary?
Yes and yes.

hbk999

Unread post by hbk999 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Apppstate wrote:Sorry man. In any other sport i would agree. But not in MBB. This might be the only sport that can be changed within 1-2 years. The young players in this sport turn programs around quickly and are the difference makers in MBB programs.
The harsh reality is we are making too many mistakes consistently and not learning from them. And for the record i don't know if a better coach would be interested in this program, in fact i seriously doubt it.
I just know that Fox is not the coach many in here preach him to be. If he was, then we wouldn't be this f-ing bad this year and we would see some type of life in this program. There isn't any, that is my frustration and it should be everyone else's on this board too.
Do you not think Shabazz is going to look to go to a program that will give him more exposure next year than a bottom dweller in the Sunbelt that draws 500 fans per home game? Why would a decent player have any interest in staying here. Things are not getting better
At a certain point in the year, you are who you are. Most of the problems that are currently in place are probably off season strategic and player development issues. I think most people with a sense of how programs and players are developed would agree.

Some strategic adjustments can certainly be made game to game and practice to practice, but in the midst of the season a lot of this isn't a quick fix or correctable in the short term. Bad ballhandlers, shooters, and defenders aren't going to fix that right now and they probably wouldn't have been able to fix them in November/December either. Will be a really important offseason of improvement for the young guys. I doubt many of us see the hours and hours of offseason work, but come next fall we will have an idea of how well it has gone.

RollNeers
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by RollNeers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:50 pm

I agree completely things are better now than from the Capel days. We do have more talent. That being said, I was a big Fox fan when he was hired and remain a fan of him and think he can get the job done here, but, my confidence has wained a bit. We are 3 years into this era and his team is still struggling to break a full court press, making stupid decisions, and just standing around on offense for multiple possessions. Things like these are understandable for a first year head coach but 3 years in with his guys now is not ok.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:27 pm

RollNeers wrote:I agree completely things are better now than from the Capel days. We do have more talent. That being said, I was a big Fox fan when he was hired and remain a fan of him and think he can get the job done here, but, my confidence has wained a bit. We are 3 years into this era and his team is still struggling to break a full court press, making stupid decisions, and just standing around on offense for multiple possessions. Things like these are understandable for a first year head coach but 3 years in with his guys now is not ok.
Many on here have routinely stated we have a very young basketball team and Fox inherited a mess. I have been one to state that many times. However, while I knew it was bad, it wasn't until just a moment ago I realized just how bad and how rock bottom our program hit. I just compared the Roster in 2014-15, Fox's 1st season to the 2016-17 roster. Take a guess as to how many players (including bench players that rarely see the court) are on BOTH teams....

exactly 1, Jake Babic. 1 player has been on the team for all 3 seasons under Fox. Outside of Babic, For all intents and purposes we are an "expansion" team. In the life-cycle of a program, we are closer to where UNC-Charlotte is in Football, than a basketball program that has had a team for nearly 100 years.

This is why many point to last year being Fox's true first recruiting class and also why all of our statistical leaders this season are Freshmen and Sophs. Out of 17 players currently on the roster, only 4 are Jrs/Srs. of those 4, only Babic has played his entire career at App. The other 3 are all transfers. Sure Fox has been coach for 3 years, but this is why many of us really point to this season as year 2 of the transition.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm

With the situation being what is was when Coach Fox took over and reading the previous post about the current makeup of the roster with no real carry-over from the Capel era, he must be given 4 years with his recruits before a true judgment can be made - I would think next year late in the season should be a reasonable point in time to evaluate ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:39 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:With the situation being what is was when Coach Fox took over and reading the previous post about the current makeup of the roster with no real carry-over from the Capel era, he must be given 4 years with his recruits before a true judgment can be made - I would think next year late in the season should be a reasonable point in time to evaluate ---
His leading scorer for his first two season was a Capel carry over. His best team record-wise was his first team that was full of Capel recruits.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:41 pm

AppDawg wrote:
RollNeers wrote:I agree completely things are better now than from the Capel days. We do have more talent. That being said, I was a big Fox fan when he was hired and remain a fan of him and think he can get the job done here, but, my confidence has wained a bit. We are 3 years into this era and his team is still struggling to break a full court press, making stupid decisions, and just standing around on offense for multiple possessions. Things like these are understandable for a first year head coach but 3 years in with his guys now is not ok.
Many on here have routinely stated we have a very young basketball team and Fox inherited a mess. I have been one to state that many times. However, while I knew it was bad, it wasn't until just a moment ago I realized just how bad and how rock bottom our program hit. I just compared the Roster in 2014-15, Fox's 1st season to the 2016-17 roster. Take a guess as to how many players (including bench players that rarely see the court) are on BOTH teams....

exactly 1, Jake Babic. 1 player has been on the team for all 3 seasons under Fox. Outside of Babic, For all intents and purposes we are an "expansion" team. In the life-cycle of a program, we are closer to where UNC-Charlotte is in Football, than a basketball program that has had a team for nearly 100 years.

This is why many point to last year being Fox's true first recruiting class and also why all of our statistical leaders this season are Freshmen and Sophs. Out of 17 players currently on the roster, only 4 are Jrs/Srs. of those 4, only Babic has played his entire career at App. The other 3 are all transfers. Sure Fox has been coach for 3 years, but this is why many of us really point to this season as year 2 of the transition.
Griffin Kinney was on Fox's first team.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:00 pm

hapapp wrote:
AppDawg wrote:

Griffin Kinney was on Fox's first team.
Thanks! That's what I get for relying on Wikipedia.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:05 pm

hapapp wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:With the situation being what is was when Coach Fox took over and reading the previous post about the current makeup of the roster with no real carry-over from the Capel era, he must be given 4 years with his recruits before a true judgment can be made - I would think next year late in the season should be a reasonable point in time to evaluate ---
His leading scorer for his first two season was a Capel carry over. His best team record-wise was his first team that was full of Capel recruits.
Gotcha --- I was referring to where things are right now - I did not make that clear - :?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appstateeyedoc

Unread post by appstateeyedoc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Patrick Good and Kelvin Robinson have been suspended indefinitely for a "violation of team rules". Bret Strelow just tweeted it

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:23 pm

appstateeyedoc wrote:Patrick Good and Kelvin Robinson have been suspended indefinitely for a "violation of team rules". Bret Strelow just tweeted it

It seems to show that Coach Fox is a strict disciplinarian. We should appreciate that.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Apps trail Tx State 64-43.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:08 pm

hapapp wrote:Apps trail Tx State 64-43.
Why do we shoot so many 3 pointers when our percentage is so abysmal? Is it because we lack a good inside game? I just watched the Texas State game on ESPN3 and the place was pretty much empty.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:13 pm

A 1-8 conference record will do that to attendance.

We really shot fewer than usual until we fell behind by double digits. They did a great job on Shabazz.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:38 pm

I honestly don't believe we will win another game this season, it's beyond terrible. On another note, I see Monroe won tonight. Thus, once more we take over sole possession of last place. :oops:

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:04 pm

NewApp wrote:
hapapp wrote:Apps trail Tx State 64-43.
Why do we shoot so many 3 pointers when our percentage is so abysmal? Is it because we lack a good inside game? I just watched the Texas State game on ESPN3 and the place was pretty much empty.
We had over 2600 in the gym for UTA on Saturday. That's pretty good for our standards. Were they giving away beer or something?

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:06 pm

WataugaMan wrote:I honestly don't believe we will win another game this season, it's beyond terrible. On another note, I see Monroe won tonight. Thus, once more we take over sole possession of last place. :oops:
Tied for last, actually. That was ULMs first conference win.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 pm

appstateeyedoc wrote:Patrick Good and Kelvin Robinson have been suspended indefinitely for a "violation of team rules". Bret Strelow just tweeted it
Anyone have any insight as to why they were suspended? I was glad to see them both on the bench near the coaches, cheering the team on.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 pm

Hopefully they get the Coach K indefinite suspension and can be back by the weekend

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:43 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:Hopefully they get the Coach K indefinite suspension and can be back by the weekend
Not sure when Robinson is scheduled to be back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”