Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Honest questions about the team

Seattleapp
School: Appalachian State

Honest questions about the team

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:19 am

I realize we are not currently a basketball school, but I want to hear what the board thinks about what our team can do to start showing some sustained improvement. I keep hearing Fox is a great coach and maybe he is, but a brief look at the game yesterday is the same old problems we can never shake. Poor free throw shooting, sloppy turnovers, and the like. These are coachable problems that can be fixed. We may get beat, but we continue to beat ourselves over and over and over. What is our identity?

appmaj

Re: Honest questions about the team

Unread post by appmaj » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:00 am

Saturday's game was tough to watch. I felt like the win was in hand only to see it slip away with bad shooting and possession mistakes. We are favored in tonight's match up. Maybe we can get another win. With 10 games left (6 at home and 4 on the road) winning only half likely keeps us in the 10 or 11 place spot.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:27 am

I'm not seeing much discipline

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:33 am

Seattleapp wrote:I realize we are not currently a basketball school, but I want to hear what the board thinks about what our team can do to start showing some sustained improvement. I keep hearing Fox is a great coach and maybe he is, but a brief look at the game yesterday is the same old problems we can never shake. Poor free throw shooting, sloppy turnovers, and the like. These are coachable problems that can be fixed. We may get beat, but we continue to beat ourselves over and over and over. What is our identity?
The identity question might be the most difficult to answer. We were definitely on our way to improvement until Kelvin went down with an injury. Now, Kelvin is a freshman, but was also the starter every game this season at point guard, a tremendous defender, penetrator and primary ball handler. That has forced Ronshad to handle the rock more, and has somewhat changed our offense a bit. See how Shabazz is suddenly scoring more. Should we have been so dependent on a freshman starting point guard? That can certainly be argued, but we are still in roster reconstruction mode. We have one senior who isn't playing a lot, and we are still young. Our identity is that are not very good defensively and we need some help from the opponents every night to win.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 am

Thank you

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:26 am

Same things that doomed us Saturday repeated on Monday (poor free throw shooting, sloppy turnovers, etc). Kelvin Robinson would have made a difference, but not sure where we go from here. We shot well from the Free Throw line to start the season, do it's unfortunate to regress (especially considering Texas state outshot us and they're one of the worst FT teams in the nation). We're shooting 68% right now from the line.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:57 am

At some point fundamentals need to take the spotlight.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:15 am

Our 68% team free throw shooting is good for third in the conference, but that does not explain our current stretch of 27/49 or 55%, in the last two games, at home no less. What might explain it is that our previous worst two game stretch shooting free throws on the season were also vs UTA and Tex St. 22/39 or 56%.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”