Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB vs Monroe

WataugaMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB vs Monroe

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:45 am

It tells me a lot of things, one of which is, if you can do better then why not? No excuse for continually losing to teams like the ones I mentioned. No doubt this team can do better (talent there somewhere), need to start winning against the lesser competition. Focus problem? Leadership? etc.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:07 am

Saint3333 wrote:I'd estimate the likelihood App fires Fox after this season at 0%. He's playing the freshman more minutes the last ten games which will pay off next season.
This is absolutely true. Years 4 and 5 were always going to be the big years for Jim.

However, this seasons results have not helped him though as far as drumming up support.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:59 am

Goapps15 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:I'd estimate the likelihood App fires Fox after this season at 0%. He's playing the freshman more minutes the last ten games which will pay off next season.
This is absolutely true. Years 4 and 5 were always going to be the big years for Jim.

However, this seasons results have not helped him though as far as drumming up support.
Here's hoping you're correct (concerning year 4 and 5 that is), hear hear!

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:38 am

Live by the 3, die by the 3. It's ruined college basketball for me.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:44 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:I don't expect Fox to be "burning down the house" at this point. However, home losses to the west carolina and UL Monroe's of the world are getting out of hand. At this point we should be winning those type of games, particularly at home, I don't believe that's asking for too much.
Yes, but then what does back to back home wins against two of the SB's top teams tell you? ---
Well to answer my own question :)
It tells me there is some talent on this team and when it meshes they are capable of competing with and beating the better teams in the SunBelt - of course, there is also the problem of losing to lesser teams and I think this points directly and completely to the abundance of youth playing considerable minutes --- I next two years I do believe we will see marked improvement - if not, well then ... :?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:53 pm

In that case, hopefully you're correct in assuming our youth is the main reason for the current situation. As you said, if not, it's probably something else.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:02 pm

WataugaMan wrote:It tells me a lot of things, one of which is, if you can do better then why not? No excuse for continually losing to teams like the ones I mentioned. No doubt this team can do better (talent there somewhere), need to start winning against the lesser competition. Focus problem? Leadership? etc.
It tells me, and maybe I'm the only one, that we have very little depth and only one or two.
starters who are SunBelt calibre players who have significant experience. Secondly, Holmes is quiet as a tomb compared to the glory days of ASU hoops. Thirdly, I'm relatively certain that at least some of the guys read this board and all they see is that they suck. It should be the other way around-words of encouragement. Sure you can say they they "are big boys" now playing big boy basket ball and should be able to take the guff, but there is a limit of what they are able to take and still keep their chin up and have positive morale. Veteran players are more willing to take this crap from people who are supposedly home fans. Heck, I would at least consider transfering to a more supportive and positive enviroment. I'm not pointing this post at you specifically, WataugaMan, but heck enough is enough and I'm the one who used to catch attacks of being negative all the time.
Have a good week all.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:15 pm

"Thirdly, I'm relatively certain that at least some of the guys read this board and all they see is that they suck. It should be the other way around-words of encouragement. Sure you can say they they "are big boys" now playing big boy basket ball and should be able to take the guff, but there is a limit of what they are able to take and still keep their chin up and have positive morale"

Like I said earlier we have the talent, needless to say, there is definitely room for improvement. I believe our current players realize this fact, if not, heaven save us. I never said they suck, if they take it that way (which I doubt), then they need to grow a set of "go-nads". However, I don't believe they are that thin skinned, they are adults. On a side note, at their age, I had a drill sergeant screaming in my face. I survived and am better for it. Anyway, I believe they should be more than able to handle criticism. These are men we are talking about, not children.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:57 pm

For those who didn't see it, freshman forward Isaac Johnson had two amazing dunks in the second half against Monroe. Those two dunks alone have me excited about our future.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:05 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:For those who didn't see it, freshman forward Isaac Johnson had two amazing dunks in the second half against Monroe. Those two dunks alone have me excited about our future.
IIRC, he also had 11 boards. Not too shabby a stat in itself!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:05 pm

Isaac and Ronshad give me hope.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Goapps15 wrote:Isaac and Ronshad give me hope.
As well as Good and Robinson from my point of view. If Good can get a little more consistency, watch out. He and Robinson have already proven that they want the ball in their hands in clutch situations. Fox has gone to Bith if those guys in dire times this season, specifically more to Robinson in late game situations. He and Ike Johnson have energy and drive and toughness that you can't teach. Also, both of those guys started yesterday over older players.

erd1028

Unread post by erd1028 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:09 am

To answer an earlier post about what does it say to go down to Monroe and beat 2 of the top teams in the conference. I was at all 3 games and the difference was that Good and several others guys hit some 3's in the games we won. Saturday Good hit 1 at the shot clock buzzer and that was about it. Missed on several that were wide open. Our margin for winning at this point is just that close. He hits a couple of those and we win. As far as live by the 3 and die by it, yes welcome to the new age of College BBall.
The biggest problem that I STILL see is our inability to stay in front of drivers on D. The point guards from Ga Southern and Monroe killed us just going to the basket at will. Our players have poor foot speed. I know that Fox loves man to man D but Monroe only had one player, Number 1, who could hit a 3. I would like to have seen a zone to help stop all the driving to the basket. That is what Monroe used to get back into the game and we made little to no adjustment to stop it.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 am

asu66 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:For those who didn't see it, freshman forward Isaac Johnson had two amazing dunks in the second half against Monroe. Those two dunks alone have me excited about our future.
IIRC, he also had 11 boards. Not too shabby a stat in itself!
Indeed. That's much more important, :!: Thanks for posting that, Chuck.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:01 am

Wish I had seen those, Charlie. I love good board work and dunks.
Google SUX

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:30 am

The last couple of weeks this team has been hard to figure. I just wish Sybil's evil twin (that can shoot a little and play D) would show up more often. The ULM loss is hard to rationalize.......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”