Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB: Sun Belt Tournament vs Troy

agentpaul001
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB: Sun Belt Tournament vs Troy

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:09 pm

Our offense is picking up but we still can't seem to stop Troy. Just a few stops please :p

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 pm

hapapp wrote:We have player who can score. Can't win many games that way.
I'd transfer if I was Shabazz

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 pm

We will only get better if we can find some more scorers but more importantly we have to figure out how to play defense. They don't give themselves a chance because they can't stop anyone.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Says "dieHardApp"...?!?

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
diehardapp18 wrote:
Says "dieHardApp"...?!?
He's a great player that could be a contributor at almost any midmajor. When his shot is falling he's almost unguardable as we saw tonight. Our program is laughable right now, these are just facts.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Something has got to give. This is not the right path. Losing by 20 in a conference tournament. Uuuggghhh!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Fitting end to the season. 2 players get suspended and then we give up 45+ in the second half.

As much as those want it for Jim, this was a very disappointing year on and off the court.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:54 pm

I have a feeling we will have the same complaints for the next two years. I know some on here think time and experience will help, but even with that the personnel we have just aren't athletic and talented enough to strongly compete and possibly win the Sun Belt. Until Fox recruits better we will continue to struggle. I know it's hard to attract recruits of any value to a struggling program at a school primarily known for football. Any suggestions on how even with a dismal record we can attract slightly better talent?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Appersrule

Unread post by Appersrule » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:57 pm

Throwing another coach to the wayside for a program in the bottom 300 of the country at a football school who averages 700 fans a game is not going to improve a thing. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Team has been to the NCAA's twice in its history. Don't waste money that could be spent on better things then paying Jim Fox's buyout.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:04 pm

While I'm not as optimistic as some, I do believe you have to give Fox his full contract period.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:06 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:I have a feeling we will have the same complaints for the next two years. I know some on here think time and experience will help, but even with that the personnel we have just aren't athletic and talented enough to strongly compete and possibly win the Sun Belt. Until Fox recruits better we will continue to struggle. I know it's hard to attract recruits of any value to a struggling program at a school primarily known for football. Any suggestions on how even with a dismal record we can attract slightly better talent?
I agree 100%. We are severely lacking on the recruiting trails. I understand guys aren't exactly itching to come play in Boone, but we have to figure something out. We have to find a system that works for us and a system where we can find a certain niche of players to come in and fit that system. Three years in and there's still no identity in our style of play. I mean tonight it was just "get the ball to Shabazz, and get out of the way" and I mean it's hard to blame trying it, because he was our only player that could consistently score. Georgia Southern isn't some basketball powerhouse, but they still have two great sophomore players. Aside of Shabazz I wouldn't consider any of our players good. There's no identity, we tried a million different defensive schemes this year and still couldn't slow anyone down. How did UNCW coach figure it out so quickly?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:10 pm

To walk back from the edge a bit, this team is young.

Jim will be the head coach in 2017-18 barring something unforeseen. Beyond that, it depends what happens in the next 12 months.

The S&C issues with Jimmy Edel leaving right around the start of the season were bigger than we realized. Those issues have been recognized.

For better or worse, we know who the team will be in 2017-18. There's no more scholarship spots for next season. We do add Hunter Seacat who is a potential post threat and there's been good reports about him.

The big question going forward is Kelvin. He's had two suspensions in the last month and his charges are still pending.

If S&C is addressed like I believe it will be, then we're one impact player away from jumping up several wins. They got a whole offseason to work on that on the practice court and in the weight room with no European trip to change the routine.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:14 pm

T-Dog wrote:To walk back from the edge a bit, this team is young.

Jim will be the head coach in 2017-18 barring something unforeseen. Beyond that, it depends what happens in the next 12 months.

The S&C issues with Jimmy Edel leaving right around the start of the season were bigger than we realized. Those issues have been recognized.

For better or worse, we know who the team will be in 2017-18. There's no more scholarship spots for next season. We do add Hunter Seacat who is a potential post threat and there's been good reports about him.

The big question going forward is Kelvin. He's had two suspensions in the last month and his charges are still pending.

If S&C is addressed like I believe it will be, then we're one impact player away from jumping up several wins. They got a whole offseason to work on that on the practice court and in the weight room with no European trip to change the routine.
Oh for sure. I realize the team is young, although I still don't like our young talent as much as the young talent some other "young" teams in the conference are boasting. Just think we're still behind recruiting and there's an identity crisis in style of play, not uncommon for a team this young though.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:58 am

Baby steps App fans. We must remember what Fox inherited when he took over. Did App have some disappointing results this season? Sure did but now look at the title of this thread. The guys made the conference tournament! Crawl before we walk.

For me, next year was the first year I planned on grading Fox. The lack of scholarships for next year is concerning, however, my expectations for next season have not changed. I'd like to see a bit more progress with Fox's program finishing middle of the pack and winning at least one conference tourney game.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:38 am

"The guys made the conference tournament!"

Unlike previous seasons, every conference team made the tournament this season.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:44 am

Just my two cents...fox seems like a good guy. It's hard to draw fans to a losing tradition. Buck fuzz and in-capel-ble left this program in shambles. We all want fox to win...no one more than fox I'm sure. But let's face it. He wins a few seasons, he's gone...adios...the Holmes center is depressing and it's a black hole alright but for coaching careers and not for being intimidating. Whether fox leaves eventually on his own or is relieved which would still be a year out(I hope he's given a fair shot). I am a firm believer that we need continuity. Find a coach...one who's been through the ringer...one who wants to put down real roots and be his final destination. Boone is great for retirees..yes cold but the other seasons make up for it. Get a guy who can recruit but mentor as well. Pay the man...kids aren't coming to a school with a revolving coaching door and possibly learn a new scheme or a different personality every three to five years. I'm not a basketball guru but I know people...we will never be a good program with coach of the week type mentality. Get an old guy...get a guy that's not worried about pleasing the powers that be...get a guy that will get in your grill and show his players love and commitment at the same time. Build a program not put band aids on it for one or two winning seasons.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:20 am

We can bash Puzz Beterson all we want, but the dude took us to the NCAA tournament once and was one win away from doing it again fairly recently. This program is capable of being decent. I've seen it when I was a student at Appalachian. We recruited Sims, Omar Carter (jr year Omar Carter :?) and others. We beat solid mid major teams on a regular basis.

Fox is a cool guy, I've met him many times, but I've been rolling my eyes at the "patient" crowd all season. We need to have some stipulations on this message board before next year. This is the last year for Fox to show some sort of improvement. Three years and we have one single talented player and recurring off-the-court issues.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:26 am

This basketball season was like my last round of golf; best thing about it, is that it's over. Another single digit win season will not be acceptable Coach Fox.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 am

Before the season I would have put Fox's chances of signing an extension after this contract at 75%, I've moved that down to 51%.

I really hope the team matures a lot between now and November (the freshman getting minutes down the stretch could be the difference).

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:37 am

Saint3333 wrote:Before the season I would have put Fox's chances of signing an extension after this contract at 75%, I've moved that down to 51%.

I really hope the team matures a lot between now and November (the freshman getting minutes down the stretch could be the difference).
Bigger thing may be if one of the current juniors finally steps up and takes firm control of the team on the court.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”