Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The other coaches, how did they do it?

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: The other coaches, how did they do it?

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:41 pm

firemoose wrote:
hapapp wrote:Interesting stat: In Fox's first year at the helm with Capel's players we won 9 conference games. In the next two seasons, we won 10 (7&3) conference games combined.
And Capel's players were the ones who put us in the APR situation that helped get him fired and shot Fox in the foot when he first got here. Your point being?
The point being we have essentially won as many games in Fox's last two years as we did in the first. Furthermore, the players who were left over from Capel's time didn't cause the APR problem.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:22 pm

So you know which players recruited by Capel caused the APR issues? And you're sure that all that were left over had above the line grades the whole time they were here? Could it be possible that a few did help cause the problem but got their grades back up after Fox was hired? Not saying that happened since that information is supposed to be private but I find it interesting that you know this for a fact.

Just FYI, I've never said that we didn't have problems with the program and we need and I'm sure all hope that things turn around soon. But I'm tired of all the references to recruiting that have been posted and how little most seem to understand the uphill climb we are battling and what recruiting to a basketball program that has the history, or lack there of, of App is like. Seems most think our staff can't recruit anyone. No one bothers to look and see that most of the kids we've offered are doing very well at the schools they chose to sign with. Seems the evaluation by the staff is just fine as far as talent goes. We can't make someone sign here. Just because we all love App doesn't mean everyone does. We can roll out the red carpet for visits but given that most of these kids have several choices and if those school impress them more than App that isn't all on our staff. It's the experience and more importantly, the perception/impression that they take away from their visit. And the staff can only do so much about that. Most of it is beyond their control.

The lack of understanding shown on here as far as the recruiting side goes is amazing given how many times it's been discussed. We're in a bad catch 22 right now and there's not a whole lot of light at the end of the tunnel. Many things have to change for us and it's going to be a struggle to get the ship righted. But if anyone is going to discuss the meat and bones of recruiting please make sure that you at least have some actual facts and knowledge of the situations before offering "subjective opinions" or uninformed speculation.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Nice diatribe as you throw the seniors on Fox's first team under the bus. I've never questioned the recruiting efforts. I've just pointed to results in the three years under Fox. At what point should we be concerned with the direction of the program? Or should we have no expectations?

I am hopeful that we see marked improvement next season. Troy provides us with the example that it can happen. As I have for 48 years, I will continue to support all App teams. But, I also retain the right to express my concerns with the program when I have them.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:56 pm

firemoose wrote:
bcoach wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:No argument with your numbers but there is no such thing as luck.
I'll grant you that part of winning/losing close games is how well a team executes, maintains poise, etc. But of course there's such thing as luck in sports.
No argument just a friendly discussion. What is an example of luck in a game?
Since you didn't specify basketball but said sports how about this. Football player (RB-QB-WR) running with the ball, fumbles, 4 players of the opposing team are surrounding the ball when it bounces right into the hands of the only other player from the fumbling team. Skill? Chance? or luck?

Since we've been on both sides of that scenario I though I would use that as an example. Can bring others.

Hockey game. Player is tripped, falling down and twisting he can't see the puck but in pulling his arms around to break his fall he drops his stick, which hits the puck, which pushes it forward off the skate of another player with his back turned and bounces into the net for a goal. Skill? or luck? And that happened during an NHL game not too long ago.
Ok here we go. Ball carrier did not do his job which was to hold onto the ball. Four opposing players did not do their jobs which were to recover the fumble, and the man who recovered did his job as he has practiced to do. Hockey was easy goalie did not do his job in stopping the shot. Now I will say I always laced my left skate first.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Never threw anyone under the bus. I just simply said it was interesting you knew exactly who caused the problems and who didn't.

What part of "I've never said that we didn't have problems with the program and we need and I'm sure all hope that things turn around soon." didn't you understand? Where did I say you questioned recruiting? I made a blanket statement since many others in this thread and others have and continue to bring it up. It's why I didn't quote you since everything except the first paragraph was a general post.

Also never said you or anyone else could not express concerns with any program. Everyone has a right to an opinion. But when it comes to making specific assumptions about our recruiting efforts (again NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU) I do have a problem if those assumptions are based on speculation and not on facts. Informed opinions are fine. Uninformed speculation only make the poster look stupid.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:02 pm

hapapp wrote:Nice diatribe as you throw the seniors on Fox's first team under the bus. I've never questioned the recruiting efforts. I've just pointed to results in the three years under Fox. At what point should we be concerned with the direction of the program? Or should we have no expectations?

I am hopeful that we see marked improvement next season. Troy provides us with the example that it can happen. As I have for 48 years, I will continue to support all App teams. But, I also retain the right to express my concerns with the program when I have them.
Fair enough. My concern is that Fox is several levels of maturity, provenance and character above anyone we might be able to hire to replace him. If we don't show some patience with him we will be the ones that continue to be disappointed.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:19 pm

CVAPP wrote:
hapapp wrote:Nice diatribe as you throw the seniors on Fox's first team under the bus. I've never questioned the recruiting efforts. I've just pointed to results in the three years under Fox. At what point should we be concerned with the direction of the program? Or should we have no expectations?

Fair enough. My concern is that Fox is several levels of maturity, provenance and character above anyone we might be able to hire to replace him. If we don't show some patience with him we will be the ones that continue to be disappointed.
I certainly don't want Fox to lose his job. I'm hopeful just like his mentor, he will be able to build a program that makes us all proud. There are many examples of coaches taking several seasons to right a ship. In time, we will know whether he is the man to do so. This discussion doesn't have to be an either or debate. One can express concern or disappointment without it be a case of wanting to ditch the coach.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 pm

firemoose wrote:So you know which players recruited by Capel caused the APR issues? And you're sure that all that were left over had above the line grades the whole time they were here? Could it be possible that a few did help cause the problem but got their grades back up after Fox was hired? Not saying that happened since that information is supposed to be private but I find it interesting that you know this for a fact.

Just FYI, I've never said that we didn't have problems with the program and we need and I'm sure all hope that things turn around soon. But I'm tired of all the references to recruiting that have been posted and how little most seem to understand the uphill climb we are battling and what recruiting to a basketball program that has the history, or lack there of, of App is like. Seems most think our staff can't recruit anyone. No one bothers to look and see that most of the kids we've offered are doing very well at the schools they chose to sign with. Seems the evaluation by the staff is just fine as far as talent goes. We can't make someone sign here. Just because we all love App doesn't mean everyone does. We can roll out the red carpet for visits but given that most of these kids have several choices and if those school impress them more than App that isn't all on our staff. It's the experience and more importantly, the perception/impression that they take away from their visit. And the staff can only do so much about that. Most of it is beyond their control.

The lack of understanding shown on here as far as the recruiting side goes is amazing given how many times it's been discussed. We're in a bad catch 22 right now and there's not a whole lot of light at the end of the tunnel. Many things have to change for us and it's going to be a struggle to get the ship righted. But if anyone is going to discuss the meat and bones of recruiting please make sure that you at least have some actual facts and knowledge of the situations before offering "subjective opinions" or uninformed speculation.
You bring up an interesting point. Is it possible we have a problem with location? I am familiar with at least three students who left after 2 years strictly due to weather. None were athletes but I could understand that as I am NO FAN of cold weather. The last football game is my last visit till summer. One of my kids is in Boone all the time either for board meetings or to go skiing. My other one will never see Boone again in the winter.

BurlingtonApp

Unread post by BurlingtonApp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:32 pm

bcoach wrote: You bring up an interesting point. Is it possible we have a problem with location? I am familiar with at least three students who left after 2 years strictly due to weather. None were athletes but I could understand that as I am NO FAN of cold weather. The last football game is my last visit till summer. One of my kids is in Boone all the time either for board meetings or to go skiing. My other one will never see Boone again in the winter.
We have the 3rd highest retention rate in the system behind UNC and NCSU, and we're only 1% behind State, and I believe we're third in applications as well behind those two. When it comes to basketball, however, we really don't have much to sell. I don't think recruiting has been as big of a problem as we're saying though. The first class was thrown together after the signing period and had to fill in several spots that have limited our scholarships available since. Both of the last two classes have had some impressive players. I know we all hate the "we're young" thing, but besides Griffin and Babic, everyone else will be here for two/three more years. They've already gotten a lot better than they were when they arrived.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:53 pm

BurlingtonApp wrote:
bcoach wrote: You bring up an interesting point. Is it possible we have a problem with location? I am familiar with at least three students who left after 2 years strictly due to weather. None were athletes but I could understand that as I am NO FAN of cold weather. The last football game is my last visit till summer. One of my kids is in Boone all the time either for board meetings or to go skiing. My other one will never see Boone again in the winter.
We have the 3rd highest retention rate in the system behind UNC and NCSU, and we're only 1% behind State, and I believe we're third in applications as well behind those two. When it comes to basketball, however, we really don't have much to sell. I don't think recruiting has been as big of a problem as we're saying though. The first class was thrown together after the signing period and had to fill in several spots that have limited our scholarships available since. Both of the last two classes have had some impressive players. I know we all hate the "we're young" thing, but besides Griffin and Babic, everyone else will be here for two/three more years. They've already gotten a lot better than they were when they arrived.
Not trying to be argumentative, but just curious. How do you measure their having gotten a lot better?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 pm

BurlingtonApp wrote:
I am not arguing our retention rate the VAST majority of students LOVE Boone. I am just asking if our location has something to do with basketball recruiting. Moose mentions that we have offered many who did not come who are doing well at other schools. Just wondering if location has something to do with that.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 pm

bcoach wrote:
BurlingtonApp wrote:
I am not arguing our retention rate the VAST majority of students LOVE Boone. I am just asking if our location has something to do with basketball recruiting. Moose mentions that we have offered many who did not come who are doing well at other schools. Just wondering if location has something to do with that.
Sorry it took me so long to answer coach. I tried to step away for a little while for dinner and to clear my head. I come back and I've got another half dozen 2018 football offers stacked up waiting for me to look up and post.

To answer your question, when I mentioned the "experience and more importantly, the perception/impression" I was referring to everything, including location. That does include weather, as I've seen recruits, especially the indoor sports recruits, mention it plenty of times. No arguing with BurlingtonApp about our overall retention rate and that can even apply to our sports teams, once we sign them that is. And that's the key point. Actually getting them to sign.

I follow our basketball offers that sign elsewhere more closely than I do for any other sport. Given the lower numbers it makes it pretty easy, but also because of our overall program situation. And that extends back well before our current staff arrived. I've seen the changes in recruiting over the years but I don't know that I've see such a dramatic shift/change as that which has occurred over the past three to five years. Social media has changed recruiting forever and EVERYTHING is now out there for all to see.

One side note, Rek mentioned earlier the Graham situation and I was talking with 78' this morning and brought up the fact that that situation is still hurting us. It was difficult for him to understand but I told him in this new age of social media and, with basketball, the AAU circuit, people have long memories. Especially with Graham and Kansas in the spotlight and the fact that every time he plays I see countless posts on all forms of SM that are still talking about him and what happened. Doesn't matter that the people that were front and center are long gone. App is the name brought up, not Capel and Cobb. And a lot of people in the eastern seaboard AAU circuit remember Graham and App all too well. The gift that keep on giving.

But back to your question. Yes, location does play a role. I was trying to be PC in my earlier post and I'll be careful again because the "ist" and "ism" crowd could take what I'm about to say the wrong way and I don't mean it that way but, a large majority of basketball recruits come from the more urban/populated areas. And given that basketball is an indoor sport, and that, for the most part, our primary recruiting footprint is in the south, then many of them don't really think a lot of cold weather. We've had more success when we've gone after recruits from more northern areas and one good thing the AAU circuit does is allow us to hit a lot of good players just going to AAU tournaments, as opposed to having to travel to many high schools to see the same number of players. It's similar to how the camps help us in football. But the second part of that is "what does Boone have to offer". There's a reason so many parents fall in love with Boone and want their kids to come here. While App does have our problems they are the same as most college campuses have. However, Boone doesn't offer as many opportunities as a more urban area does to get into trouble. While the parents may think that is just great a lot of recruits who currently live in those areas are more likely to balk at that lack of "fun" things to do. And that definitely applies to basketball more than it does football, for a number of reasons.

There are a lot of things going on with our basketball program and there is a long way to go. But from a recruiting standpoint it's not from any lack of trying or any problems with evaluating talent. How the recruits that this staff has offered that are elsewhere are playing can show that. No matter the program or situation I always have and always will back our programs and our coaching staffs. I truly hope Coach Fox and crew can get this program turned around, for no other reason than that I love basketball and want to see us be able to consistently put a winning program on the court. That has been missing from App for a long time and I look forward to seeing the day when those memories are distant. And I do believe there are several players on the current roster that we can build on/around. But be warned that we might have a couple of new names that are going to appear in the coming weeks that might make the building take a little longer. Stay tuned in the next couple of days for the start of that process.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:54 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:I may be wrong, but didn't MBB win just 3 games the season before Cremins arrived. In just 4 years he took us to the Big Dance. Best college coach I ever saw.
Yes. 3-23 in Coach Maravich's last season. That one was also marred by his wife's suicide. The next year, with 5 freshmen from New York, the team was 15-15 and Bobby was named COTY in the SoCon. That was an unusually quick turn-around, but with parity being what it is these days I don't think we'll see those results at very many schools ever again. I just know that Coach Fox is, IMO, doing the right things now. I was able to talk with him at the basketball reunion back in February and readily agreed that the best thing about freshmen and sophomores is that they become juniors and seniors. I'm confident we'll see a much better and experienced team on the court next year.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:20 am

firemoose wrote:
bcoach wrote:
BurlingtonApp wrote:
bcoach wrote: . But be warned that we might have a couple of new names that are going to appear in the coming weeks that might make the building take a little longer. Stay tuned in the next couple of days for the start of that process.
the suspense....

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 am

firemoose wrote:
bcoach wrote:
BurlingtonApp wrote:
Sorry it took me so long to answer coach. I tried to step away for a little while for dinner and to clear my head. I come back and I've got another half dozen 2018 football offers stacked up waiting for me to look up and post.

To answer your question, when I mentioned the "experience and more importantly, the perception/impression" I was referring to everything, including location. That does include weather, as I've seen recruits, especially the indoor sports recruits, mention it plenty of times. No arguing with BurlingtonApp about our overall retention rate and that can even apply to our sports teams, once we sign them that is. And that's the key point. Actually getting them to sign.

I follow our basketball offers that sign elsewhere more closely than I do for any other sport. Given the lower numbers it makes it pretty easy, but also because of our overall program situation. And that extends back well before our current staff arrived. I've seen the changes in recruiting over the years but I don't know that I've see such a dramatic shift/change as that which has occurred over the past three to five years. Social media has changed recruiting forever and EVERYTHING is now out there for all to see.

One side note, Rek mentioned earlier the Graham situation and I was talking with 78' this morning and brought up the fact that that situation is still hurting us. It was difficult for him to understand but I told him in this new age of social media and, with basketball, the AAU circuit, people have long memories. Especially with Graham and Kansas in the spotlight and the fact that every time he plays I see countless posts on all forms of SM that are still talking about him and what happened. Doesn't matter that the people that were front and center are long gone. App is the name brought up, not Capel and Cobb. And a lot of people in the eastern seaboard AAU circuit remember Graham and App all too well. The gift that keep on giving.

But back to your question. Yes, location does play a role. I was trying to be PC in my earlier post and I'll be careful again because the "ist" and "ism" crowd could take what I'm about to say the wrong way and I don't mean it that way but, a large majority of basketball recruits come from the more urban/populated areas. And given that basketball is an indoor sport, and that, for the most part, our primary recruiting footprint is in the south, then many of them don't really think a lot of cold weather. We've had more success when we've gone after recruits from more northern areas and one good thing the AAU circuit does is allow us to hit a lot of good players just going to AAU tournaments, as opposed to having to travel to many high schools to see the same number of players. It's similar to how the camps help us in football. But the second part of that is "what does Boone have to offer". There's a reason so many parents fall in love with Boone and want their kids to come here. While App does have our problems they are the same as most college campuses have. However, Boone doesn't offer as many opportunities as a more urban area does to get into trouble. While the parents may think that is just great a lot of recruits who currently live in those areas are more likely to balk at that lack of "fun" things to do. And that definitely applies to basketball more than it does football, for a number of reasons.

There are a lot of things going on with our basketball program and there is a long way to go. But from a recruiting standpoint it's not from any lack of trying or any problems with evaluating talent. How the recruits that this staff has offered that are elsewhere are playing can show that. No matter the program or situation I always have and always will back our programs and our coaching staffs. I truly hope Coach Fox and crew can get this program turned around, for no other reason than that I love basketball and want to see us be able to consistently put a winning program on the court. That has been missing from App for a long time and I look forward to seeing the day when those memories are distant. And I do believe there are several players on the current roster that we can build on/around. But be warned that we might have a couple of new names that are going to appear in the coming weeks that might make the building take a little longer. Stay tuned in the next couple of days for the start of that process.
Thanks Moose. That was my question. Getting them to sign not so much retention rate.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 am

Bye Bye the two that go into trouble

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:51 am

And who were those 2 again?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:20 pm

bcoach wrote:
firemoose wrote:So you know which players recruited by Capel caused the APR issues? And you're sure that all that were left over had above the line grades the whole time they were here? Could it be possible that a few did help cause the problem but got their grades back up after Fox was hired? Not saying that happened since that information is supposed to be private but I find it interesting that you know this for a fact.

You bring up an interesting point. Is it possible we have a problem with location? I am familiar with at least three students who left after 2 years strictly due to weather. None were athletes but I could understand that as I am NO FAN of cold weather. The last football game is my last visit till summer. One of my kids is in Boone all the time either for board meetings or to go skiing. My other one will never see Boone again in the winter.
It sounds like those kids should have done their homework on the weather in Boone. It's not hard to find out that it gets really cold most winters.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:34 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

It sounds like those kids should have done their homework on the weather in Boone. It's not hard to find out that it gets really cold most winters.
Did you miss the part about them being kids? :lol:

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:25 am

I think we, as fans, also need to look in the mirror if we're pointing fingers...and I'm definitely including myself in that as I haven't been to a basketball game in several years. Part of the reason we're able to recruit great footballers is because they want to play in front of large enthusiastic crowds like we have at The Rock. Other posts have mentioned our not being a "basketball school" and that's true but we could become one if we threw our full support behind the team and showed up for games and created a better atmosphere. It's hard to generate excitement for a recruit when we're not even excited about the program. I will commit to getting to some games next year and make some noise...we also need to come up with a way to get the students more involved and excited.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”