Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Logan, Robinson to Transfer

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Logan, Robinson to Transfer

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Re: Logan, Robinson to Transfer

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:12 am

Question for some of the older people that post on here... Were transfers a big thing back in the day or is it more recent with this generation?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 am

Obviously they have gotten in some trouble and probably best to part ways, but our depth has been a huge issue. It's now even worse.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:04 am

These I would count as separate from some of the others we have had. I think that the charges pending on both of them plays a part in this. We have been known to let player transfer out instead for kicking them off the team for issues like this in the past. There may also be playing factors at work here as well.

There is always some issues when a new coach takes over, but these make 10 players that have transferred/left the team. I think that part of it is the "now" generation of the student athletes,but another factor is that some coaches have had more of a "clean house" policy and are will "run off" more players from previous coaches to have room for "their" players. Now some are for other issues like Milos that was more of a culture issue as far as being a foreign player. I don't think that we have had a "I can be on a higher ranked team" transfer in a while.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:57 am

time to find a point guard. There is not another true pg on the roster and I don't think we had one on the radar for next year, according to verbalcommits.com

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 am

Oh boy, now we get to have another excuse to not be a .500 team next year. Hope we can bring in at least some decent replacements.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:22 am

Maybe Coach Fox will go get this PG from Tennessee.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccou ... ansfer/amp
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:25 am

bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:39 am

This is a program still searching for stability.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:Oh boy, now we get to have another excuse to not be a .500 team next year. Hope we can bring in at least some decent replacements.
One can only HOPE that we can rise up the the .500 mark! Gees, that is our goal now, to be by definition mediocre

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:03 am

Many of us have posted on this board before that we'd rather lose with class and character than win without. I hate seeing talented players leave our program, but in the end as an alumnus and as a parent of a current student at App, I'm fine with these departures.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:48 am

Year 4 could very well be a make or break year for Jim Fox.

Losing his 2 best point guards is not a good start. He really needs all the help he can get at this point.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:42 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:Oh boy, now we get to have another excuse to not be a .500 team next year. Hope we can bring in at least some decent replacements.
NC State would have fired him last year. We're waiting till next year. I think 2017 is the sweet spot.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:51 am

Gonzo wrote:
NC State would have fired him last year. We're waiting till next year. I think 2017 is the sweet spot.
To be fair, NC State doesn't have an amazing football team to fall back on.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:22 am

These guys aren't transferring because it's their best option. They're transferring because they were going to be kicked off. And one of the 2 might not even pursue basketball further and just commit to being only a student. Robinson was talented and had potential and it might hurt to lose him but Patrick Good will take Logans spot and you won't notice a difference. Also there is a recruit on campus (PG) right now who would be able to take the spot. We also have another one coming after the tourney ends. This is not a "sky is falling" scenario. Just a couple of kids who couldn't fully commit to the program and/or basketball in general. We'all see how next year plays out but Fox will serve his full 5 year contract and deservedly so.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:34 am

Hold on there. We're obviously not in a financial situation that would allow us to buy out Fox's remaining years. It's reasonable to hold off for one more year. But let's not pretend that he's done anything to "deserve" a full five year tenure. This program went from bad to worse. There have been no signs of improvement from JC on or off the court. Put down the Fox Koolaid.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 am

app97 wrote:time to find a point guard. There is not another true PG on the roster and I don't think we had one on the radar for next year, according to verbalcommits.com
The guys at verbalcommits.com are good, but they aren't the "be-all, end-all" of college basketball knowledge.

We now know that Fox has turned his attention to the JuCo ranks; having offered a 6-4 shooting guard from Okie’s Seminole State College (by way of Raleigh’s Millbrook High). He may not be the last JuCo.

I've been personally surprised that Fox hasn't turned his attention to his home state of NY for recruiting. I attended his presser when Cobb introduced him to the App community three years ago and came away appsolutey convinced that Fox would mine NYC's five boroughs and all of his native Long Island for players. A lot of good basketball is played there and Fox's Dad is a figurehead in NY AAU BB. Maybe now's the time to check out the spring/summer AAU tourney tour up north. So far, not a single NY player has appeared on our roster.

As for PGs on the current roster, we know that we’ll have utility man Jake Babic back as a seasoned senior. Babic can run the point, he can handle the ball in traffic and he can pass and rebound. He’s a streaky shooter, but no one can deny his passing ability and his status as the leading assist guy now that Logan is moving on. There’s value in having a 6-5 wing who can play every position on the court—including the point—and lead his team in assists.

Then, looking at the bench, one has to wonder if the recent attrition will allow some PT on the wing for 6-5 rising soph Zach Cottrell?
Last edited by asu66 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Really surprised we haven't signed anyone from the NYC area. It's talent rich and he supposedly has connections. Thought for sure this pipeline would be opened up by now. Oh well.....

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:16 am

Gonzo wrote:Hold on there. We're obviously not in a financial situation that would allow us to buy out Fox's remaining years. It's reasonable to hold off for one more year. But let's not pretend that he's done anything to "deserve" a full five year tenure. This program went from bad to worse. There have been no signs of improvement from JC on or off the court. Put down the Fox Koolaid.

Him signing the contract in the first place is all he needed to do to "deserve" 5 years. No coach App State could reasonably get was going to do anything with this program unless it was a 5 year deal. You're wrong to say it's gone from bad to worse, we're in a significantly tougher league and that's not to be discounted. You're also wrong to say there have been no signs of improvement off the court, just not true. Never said the man was Dean Smith or K but he does deserve the full length of his contact and next year will start the determination if he'll get extended or it. No kool-aid, just reasonable expectations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”