Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

17-18 Schedule

bigCasu
School: Appalachian State

Re: 17-18 Schedule

Unread post by bigCasu » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:45 pm

That's a good question. I would imagine that similar to baseball, there are travel restrictions as to when teams must leave by. Several teams fly here, so tack on an hour or 2 hour drive.

Back to basketball, we wont be starting any week night games later than 7:30. The beef from the conference was surrounding Saturday games. Remember they have to adjust to that one hour time change as well.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:34 pm

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Proper Logo and proper placement :D

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:31 pm

AppDawg wrote:Such an absolute TERRIBLE schedule. Until this is fixed, there will be no growing of the fanbase. Basically just 2 "weekends" with conference home games where Students are in town.

I count a Thurs/Sat set-up as a weekend. So 4 home games. LR, stAte, Sbama and Troy with classes in session.

Spring semester doesn't start until Jan 16th. Also, the Coastal home game is the 1st weekend of Spring Break. Blasphemy!
What, you don't think the HCC will be packed out for UTA on New Year's Eve? :roll:

Over/under 500 in attendance for that one?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:41 pm

VB has 12:30 games to try to get the visiting teams back home at a reasonable hour. They usually fly commercial and if they have a Sunday in Boone, they have to drive to Charlotte, go through CLT check-in, boarding, flying and hope to get on a plane by 6-7 p.m. And sometimes they'll have a lay-over as well.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:28 pm

bcoach wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
3rd wrote:
bcoach wrote:I think what it means is that they see a money issue. Looking into the future tv contracts are most probably going to be shrinking. We need to be looking revenue vs expenses very closely.
Pretty sure they all travel separate. So I don't really know if there is any cost savings
That's the thing, the women will take earlier trips and leave at times before half time of the men's games.
Well that is pretty silly then. Why you would do double headers and not take advantage of cost savings is beyond me. So I have no answer for why they have doubleheaders and I am going to fade into the woodwork.
Just because they used to travel separate does not mean they could not do some combined travel for the next year, at least on Saturday where a return as early as possible for classes would not be an issue. Also this could provide some savings with hotel at least with more rooms on the same night for a better bulk rate.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:07 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
bcoach wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
3rd wrote:
bcoach wrote:I think what it means is that they see a money issue. Looking into the future tv contracts are most probably going to be shrinking. We need to be looking revenue vs expenses very closely.
Pretty sure they all travel separate. So I don't really know if there is any cost savings
That's the thing, the women will take earlier trips and leave at times before half time of the men's games.
Well that is pretty silly then. Why you would do double headers and not take advantage of cost savings is beyond me. So I have no answer for why they have doubleheaders and I am going to fade into the woodwork.
Just because they used to travel separate does not mean they could not do some combined travel for the next year, at least on Saturday where a return as early as possible for classes would not be an issue. Also this could provide some savings with hotel at least with more rooms on the same night for a better bulk rate.

I really don't know if they book together or not. Someone else may have more in site but I don't think it saves all this money. Someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me.

RollNeers

Unread post by RollNeers » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:29 am

EastHallApp wrote:
AppDawg wrote:Such an absolute TERRIBLE schedule. Until this is fixed, there will be no growing of the fanbase. Basically just 2 "weekends" with conference home games where Students are in town.

I count a Thurs/Sat set-up as a weekend. So 4 home games. LR, stAte, Sbama and Troy with classes in session.

Spring semester doesn't start until Jan 16th. Also, the Coastal home game is the 1st weekend of Spring Break. Blasphemy!
What, you don't think the HCC will be packed out for UTA on New Year's Eve? :roll:

Over/under 500 in attendance for that one?
I'll take the way under

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:26 am

3rd wrote:
bcoach wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
3rd wrote:

I really don't know if they book together or not. Someone else may have more in site but I don't think it saves all this money. Someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me.
I doubt it saves much either, but if it can save $1000 for a double header then that can equate to one scholarship funded that would not be otherwise funded. I also doubt it costs more and it does open up more dates to use arenas around the conference that could bring in more revenue or at least make scheduling easier

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:18 pm

3rd wrote:
bcoach wrote:
appgrouch wrote:

I doubt it saves much either, but if it cansave $1000 for a double header then that can equate to one scholarship funded that would not be otherwise funded. I also doubt it costs more and it does open up more dates to use arenas around the conference that could bring in more revenue or at least make scheduling easier

McL, $2,000 is way less than the cost of a scholarship, isn't it?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:36 pm

If they are flying it depends on whether they are going charter or commercial. Charter would be easier to do if the destination airport can handle the plane (each team traveling party is 25 - 35 people, 50-70 both teams).

Another consideration is getting to the next game site for adequate rest. For example, the team playing Thursday in Boone next plays Saturday in Myrtle Beach. That is a 6 hour bus ride or 3 hour charter flight.
Bring Your A Game!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:46 pm

If they're flying commercial, they'll typically go separately as they fly major airports with flights to the same locations on a regular basis. Last season they had to due to the MBB and WBB playing on different days.

The few times they fly a charter, they'll fly together. I imagine they'll do more charters this coming season with the schedules basically the same. Plus, they can do charters out of Hickory. It's more expensive though.

Coastal will be a bus trip. Troy/USA might be a bus trip.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:08 pm

NewApp wrote:
3rd wrote:
bcoach wrote: Well that is pretty silly then. Why you would do double headers and not take advantage of cost savings is beyond me. So I have no answer for why they have doubleheaders and I am going to fade into the woodwork.

I doubt it saves much either, but if it cansave $1000 for a double header then that can equate to one scholarship funded that would not be otherwise funded. I also doubt it costs more and it does open up more dates to use arenas around the conference that could bring in more revenue or at least make scheduling easier

McL, $2,000 is way less than the cost of a scholarship, isn't it?
What was implied, though I thought I also typed out the words and I did not in reviewing the post, would be saving $1000 for a double header would add up at the end of the season to a scholarship.

I was mowing the yard, came in for a break and re-hydrate before heading back outside and got a bit ahead of myself.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Saturday, Dec. 16, at Ohio State

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:56 pm

T-Dog wrote:Saturday, Dec. 16, at Ohio State

They look to be in full rebuilding mode. If we are any kind of improved next year we could make a run at that one.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 pm

T-Dog wrote:Saturday, Dec. 16, at Ohio State
I'm just glad we have a road game on the Saturday that 3 of our potential Bowls are played.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Saturday, Nov. 25 vs Davidson
Saturday, Dec. 2 vs South Florida

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:43 am

T-Dog wrote:Saturday, Nov. 25 vs Davidson
Yet another exciting home game opponent that is a draw yet students are on break. In jest, I must ask - why do we even have "home" games? The way this seasons schedule is shaping up we might as well go for a NCAA record and play the entire season on the road! Seriously, what is the point of playing "home" games if classes are not in session? I get having 1 or 2 over the long Christmas break, but this is ridiculous.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:08 am

Students will be on campus Dec. 2.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:23 am

AppDawg wrote:
T-Dog wrote:Saturday, Nov. 25 vs Davidson
Yet another exciting home game opponent that is a draw yet students are on break. In jest, I must ask - why do we even have "home" games? The way this seasons schedule is shaping up we might as well go for a NCAA record and play the entire season on the road! Seriously, what is the point of playing "home" games if classes are not in session? I get having 1 or 2 over the long Christmas break, but this is ridiculous.
The Davidson game was rescheduled so the team could participate in the tournament in PR.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”