Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

17-18 Schedule

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: 17-18 Schedule

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:58 pm

appfanjj wrote:Hopefully we don't play North Carolina this year. I DESPISE playing them. It might be OK if the game were in Boone.

Yeah, I mean, I GUESS it would be OK to host the defending national champs in the HCC. :lol:

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:26 pm

:shock:
EastHallApp wrote:
appfanjj wrote:Hopefully we don't play North Carolina this year. I DESPISE playing them. It might be OK if the game were in Boone.

Yeah, I mean, I GUESS it would be OK to host the defending national champs in the HCC. :lol:
NO never want to have anything to do with any of their teams.
Now separate issue. I am the odd man out here I know but I just don't get the thrill of bringing a team to Boone to kick our ass. Example to me Miami was NOT a great day it was a horrible day. We got our asses kicked. No thrill, only pain. I STILL hate that day and try hard to forget it ever happened. I don't like it but I understand the money games. Bringing some one home to kick our asses? I just don't understand the thrill in that. Now to bring a NC to our house in BB??????????? 145-40? :oops:

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Here's the thing about getting your teeth kicked in. You never know when it's going to happen.

If you said in advance that Wake Forest and Georgia will whip us, then I might agree, bcoach. But we don't know. The optimist in me believes that the reward from a game like Michigan 2007 well overshadows the pain of Miami 2016. We're never going to develop into a nationally respected program without challenging some of the heavyweights.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:36 am

agentpaul001 wrote:I'm a little surprised that we're still waiting on the conference games.

Not sure if this was posted previously but Babic is moving to a non scholarship role and we signed a Tulsa transfer, Battle. Should help out with our PG situation in a season not to mention it'll help us from rolling over so many players over next two seasons.
I've heard that we are going back to doubleheader scheduling, not just on Saturdays. The entire conference hates us because we play our games in the middle of the afternoon, compared to hosting an occasional night game, but you know, High Country winters.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:51 am

bcoach wrote::shock:
EastHallApp wrote:

Now separate issue. I am the odd man out here I know but I just don't get the thrill of bringing a team to Boone to kick our ass. Example to me Miami was NOT a great day it was a horrible day. We got our asses kicked. No thrill, only pain. I STILL hate that day and try hard to forget it ever happened. I don't like it but I understand the money games. Bringing some one home to kick our asses? I just don't understand the thrill in that. Now to bring a NC to our house in BB??????????? 145-40? :oops:
I totally get what you're saying Coach...but there are going to be times when we get our asses kicked...it just happens in sports...the same day we lost 45-10 to Miami, Florida State lost 63-20 to Louisville. It's disappointing but it's part of sports and if we're not always pushing the envelope we're not going to improve as a program.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:35 am

EastHallApp wrote:

It's about building a program. You can bring in the James Madisons and Radfords of the world all you want, but you don't attract any new fans that way, nor do you show recruits any sort of gameday atmosphere they want to be a part of.

Plus basketball is different than football. In football every loss hurts. In basketball, dropping some pre-January OOC games really doesn't mean that much.

And the score likely wouldn't be THAT lopsided. Most national powers use early season games like that to go deep in their bench and develop a rotation.

Finally - did you by chance attend the Miami game? I'm in full agreement with you in not wanting to watch App get blown out. (I never find the "money games" very interesting in advance either.) So yeah, the game itself was not fun outside of a few fleeting moments. But the pregame atmosphere was so far beyond anything I've experienced at KBS, it was incredible. And we had a boatload of recruits in attendance who saw that.
Last edited by EastHallApp on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:47 am

agentpaul001 wrote:South Florida should be very beatable.

SunBelt just announced some changes to the officiating program that will hopefully result in better officiating (although tbh I"m not terribly familiar how those arrangement will change the actual refs working the games).

http://sunbeltsports.org/news/2017/4/10 ... 71346.aspx
The mandatory eye exams should help!! :D

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:47 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

It's about building a program. You can bring in the James Madisons and Radfords of the world all you want, but you don't attract any new fans that way, nor do you show recruits any sort of gameday atmosphere they want to be a part of.

Plus basketball is different than football. In football every loss hurts. In basketball, dropping some pre-January OOC games really doesn't mean that much.

And the score likely wouldn't be THAT lopsided. Most national powers use early season games like that to go deep in their bench and develop a rotation.

Finally - did you by chance attend the Miami game? I'm in full agreement with you in not wanting to watch App get blown out. (I never find the "money games" very interesting in advance either.) So yeah, the game itself was not fun outside of a few fleeting moments. But the pregame atmosphere was so far beyond anything I've experienced at KBS, it was incredible. And we had a boatload of recruits in attendance who saw that.
I understand what you are saying but there is a very big difference between Radford and the defending NC.
Yes I was at the Miami game and really have only missed two home games since 1990. I have also been to all the money games for I don't really remember. Now this is just me but the game day experience just goes in the toilet when we get our butts kicked that bad. Tailgating and all that is fine but I am there for the game. When we lose there is nothing that could happen that day to make it better for me, but that is just me. I am still spitting the bad taste out of my mouth from the VT game. If that had been at home..........well I just don't want to think about it.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:26 pm

bcoach wrote:[
I understand what you are saying but there is a very big difference between Radford and the defending NC.
Very true and I would love to see us get some of those teams to Boone. Along with Davidson, the best atmospheres I can remember for basketball when I was in school (late '90s) were visits from UNCC (then top 25) and Georgia. I'd be THRILLED to get a visit from any major conference opponent who might actually be beatable.

It's just a hypothetical anyway. No one actually thinks UNC or anyone else of their stature is coming to Boone any time soon. But, if you want to grow as a program, you have to risk getting your butt kicked along the way. Hey, we got crushed by State last year, and they were awful.

ashugh

Unread post by ashugh » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:17 pm

The ONLY way we grow this program is to be fearless. Virginia Tech is in a horrible location. Boise State is in IDAHO-WHERE.
What App has done has been nothing short of incredible during this rapid incline. We should bring in the Patriots if they'll come to Boone.
There are two big things that are undervalued with this conversation. 1- Recruiting - Kids really do care who's on your schedule. 2 - Corporate sponsorships. We CANNOT grow this program without bringing in "big name programs" which brings along with it big money. Corporate money is an absolute fundamental necessity for our growth from here forward.
The only prominent in state program that has yet to agree to come to Boone is Duke. When Gillan gets them, all prominent NC football programs will have committed to come to Boone. There is a change afoot here and we should all realize it and embrace it. It is substantial and fundamental to our growth.
I really believe that the Miami game will prove to be an anomaly. If the team that played in Knoxville had played that day, I have absolutely no doubt the ride home for Miami would have been much longer. I also think this is a growing experience for our coaches. We didn't come close, IMO, to the game plan, effort, focus, and the confident swagger we saw in the FIRST game of the year the rest of the season.
There is soooo much room for growth from both the coaches and players, but they are doing such a great job at the same time. We all have so much to be excited about!!!!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:59 pm

I agree, ashugh, but this thread is about basketball. ;)

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:12 am

EastHallApp wrote:I agree, ashugh, but this thread is about basketball. ;)
Hey ashugh, don't feel bad. I am just as confused as you are that App folk are talking basketball in June. ;)

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Tournaments have been added for 17 & 18. Official announcement should come soon.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Proasu, one of the mini in-season tournaments?

If so that's fantastic.

SEC schedules are coming out, but doesn't look like we'll face any of them this year given the conference policy to not schedule teams with a three year RPI average <150. Hopefully we don't see more conferences head in that direction. It would make it even more challenging to find good OOC games.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:37 pm

November.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:28 pm

10 years later, going back to San Juan.

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/a ... 2bb63.html

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:51 pm

T-Dog wrote:10 years later, going back to San Juan.

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/a ... 2bb63.html

Boise State is going to be pumped to learn that they're in the Big 12.

Tulsa probably won't be so happy when they find out they're back in CUSA, but at least they are the first team to win "more than 20 games" while actually going 15-17.

Meanwhile Illinois State actually did win more than 20 games - 28, in fact.

Hopefully at least the part about us (probably?) being in the tournament is factually correct.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Excellent news if this comes to fruition. Hope to make it out!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:16 pm

ashugh wrote:The ONLY way we grow this program is to be fearless. Virginia Tech is in a horrible location. Boise State is in IDAHO-WHERE.
What App has done has been nothing short of incredible during this rapid incline. We should bring in the Patriots if they'll come to Boone.
There are two big things that are undervalued with this conversation. 1- Recruiting - Kids really do care who's on your schedule. 2 - Corporate sponsorships. We CANNOT grow this program without bringing in "big name programs" which brings along with it big money. Corporate money is an absolute fundamental necessity for our growth from here forward.
The only prominent in state program that has yet to agree to come to Boone is Duke. When Gillan gets them, all prominent NC football programs will have committed to come to Boone.There is a change afoot here and we should all realize it and embrace it. It is substantial and fundamental to our growth.
I really believe that the Miami game will prove to be an anomaly. If the team that played in Knoxville had played that day, I have absolutely no doubt the ride home for Miami would have been much longer. I also think this is a growing experience for our coaches. We didn't come close, IMO, to the game plan, effort, focus, and the confident swagger we saw in the FIRST game of the year the rest of the season.
There is soooo much room for growth from both the coaches and players, but they are doing such a great job at the same time. We all have so much to be excited about!!!!!

Has NC State scheduled a date in KBS?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:21 pm

NewApp wrote:
ashugh wrote:The ONLY way we grow this program is to be fearless. Virginia Tech is in a horrible location. Boise State is in IDAHO-WHERE.
The only prominent in state program that has yet to agree to come to Boone is Duke. When Gillan gets them, all prominent NC football programs will have committed to come to Boone.There is a change afoot here and we should all realize it and embrace it. It is substantial and fundamental to our growth.

Has NC State scheduled a date in KBS?
I was wondering the same thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”