Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

If you were DG or Fox...

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: If you were DG or Fox...

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:47 am

EastHallApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:I still say you get teams in here that you have a shot at beating. You need wins at home if you want to build a following. Before someone starts I don't mean Div3. I am talking about teams on our level who we can compete with. Get some wins, and get the program built first. We moan and groan about the students wanting to watch unc instead of us and then we bring unc to our house? I guess I just don't get it.
Our home games last year included Montreat, Warren Wilson, Western Carolina, James Madison and Hampton. I'm not sure how opponents could get more beatable and still have a pulse.

UNC is not coming to Boone, so no need rehash that old debate. The point is scheduling teams people have actually heard of. Davidson coming in this year is a good start, as is the occasional UNCC game.
I don't see that we have any disagreement.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:48 am

EastHallApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
APPARJ wrote:Sorry but I have to chuckle here. Yeah... an ACC team in Holmes would be nice. Maybe Duke? UNC? Maybe dip into the Big East with Villanova?
Contrary to popular belief, there are teams in the ACC that are not located on Tobacco Road. Wake Forest, for example, played away at Richmond and UNC-G last season.
And Richmond and UNC-G, for example, were 22-13 and 25-10 respectively.
That was UNCG's first winning season in nearly a decade. Amazing foresight by Wake to schedule them in what turned out to be their breakout year.
To be fair, UNCG gets a lot of ACC games at home because that is where the ACC Championship was/is. Teams wanted to get playing experience on that court before the tournament started. I don't know for certain, but I would guess the game with Wake and UNCG was scheduled before the ACC tournament was pulled out of NC.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:16 am

AppStateNews wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
APPARJ wrote:Sorry but I have to chuckle here. Yeah... an ACC team in Holmes would be nice. Maybe Duke? UNC? Maybe dip into the Big East with Villanova?
Contrary to popular belief, there are teams in the ACC that are not located on Tobacco Road. Wake Forest, for example, played away at Richmond and UNC-G last season.
That was UNCG's first winning season in nearly a decade. Amazing foresight by Wake to schedule them in what turned out to be their breakout year.
To be fair, UNCG gets a lot of ACC games at home because that is where the ACC Championship was/is. Teams wanted to get playing experience on that court before the tournament started. I don't know for certain, but I would guess the game with Wake and UNCG was scheduled before the ACC tournament was pulled out of NC.
Yes, the fact that it was played in the Coliseum would have been a more relevant response.

But there are plenty of examples out there of games like this. Try to shoot down every one of them and you start to sound like the people who said we'd never get a P5 team (or even ECU) to come to KBS until we added 10,000 seats.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:20 am

EastHallApp wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Yes, the fact that it was played in the Coliseum would have been a more relevant response.

But there are plenty of examples out there of games like this. Try to shoot down every one of them and you start to sound like the people who said we'd never get a P5 team (or even ECU) to come to KBS until we added 10,000 seats.
No, I agree with you. I think we can get some low to mid level basketball teams in the HCC. I was just pointing out the reason UNCG was able to get ACC teams with ease.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Find out which coaches or ads have property in the high country and target them.
Bring Your A Game!

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:05 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Which still doesn't prove anything regarding why Wake won't play men's BBall in Boone unless we could pad their schedule. If you're Wake, what's the point? At least UNCG is 30 minutes away.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:01 pm

APPARJ wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Which still doesn't prove anything regarding why Wake won't play men's BBall in Boone unless we could pad their schedule. If you're Wake, what's the point? At least UNCG is 30 minutes away.
I agree it's going to be tough as long as we're losing 20 games a year. But that won't be the case forever. To answer "What's the point?" - I think it would be playing a drivable return game in a home-and-home rather than having to pay for a home-only game. Plus it's a chance to pad their road/neutral record, which is one of the metrics the tournament selection committee considers.

BTW, the year before Wake played at Bucknell in a 4,000 seat arena 450 miles from Winston. And we're just talking about Wake. One power conference team out of dozens.

Maybe we really can't get any name programs to Boone. But I don't think it's so absurd to suggest.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:12 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
I agree it's going to be tough as long as we're losing 20 games a year. But that won't be the case forever. To answer "What's the point?" - I think it would be playing a drivable return game in a home-and-home rather than having to pay for a home-only game. Plus it's a chance to pad their road/neutral record, which is one of the metrics the tournament selection committee considers.

BTW, the year before Wake played at Bucknell in a 4,000 seat arena 450 miles from Winston. And we're just talking about Wake. One power conference team out of dozens.

Maybe we really can't get any name programs to Boone. But I don't think it's so absurd to suggest.
I'm not defending our OOC schedule as stellar. But I think it is what it is at this point and nothing mentioned on MMB is new to DG or Fox.

1- A win over App isn't impressive and doesn't pad anyone's schedule
2- Basketball season weather in Boone can be miserable, even in November
3- We don't bring much to the table in terms of home-and-home for many schools outside of a UNC Charlotte or Davidson
4- If finances play a role in scheduling OOC opponents then I'm sure we can't offer much there (not sure about OOC basketball deals)

Just about all of those factors are cured even a little bit or made irrelevant if we're a really good team.

Also, I believe James Madison, UNC Charlotte, and Davidson home games in Boone are really impressive given how weak the program has been for the better part of the last decade. Expecting better competition than those teams (which, again, are solid) at this stage is unrealistic IMO.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 pm

James Madison is atrocious. I agree UNCC and Davidson are very solid home games, though.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:20 pm

EastHallApp wrote:James Madison is atrocious. I agree UNCC and Davidson are very solid home games, though.
I agree.... and the worst part is they still won more than we did.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:21 am

I notice that USF is making the trek to Boone this year. Not exactly a great BB program but at least someone different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”