Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App vs Iowa St

app97
School: Appalachian State

Re: App vs Iowa St

Unread post by app97 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:55 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:33 am
and I think being a big name due to his dad could warrant some attention from bigger schools.
sort of like Mike Bibby...oh yeah, he transferred to App State.

ASUROX

Unread post by ASUROX » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 pm

I really can’t believe the defense we saw last night. Iowa State gave up 98 points. Just a thought.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 pm

What I like about Fox's teams as that they always play hard, they don't celebrate every little basket, block, etc....they keep a consistent demeanor and play through it. They seem to have a "next play" attitude, and they seem to always think that they can win. These traits have to pay off eventually.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:56 pm

I would like to see better ball movement, less 3's being taken immediately upon crossing half court and something that resembles post play. In short, better shot selection. The bad part is, we've been seeing this now for 3+ years.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:46 pm

bigCasu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:05 am
QueencityApp wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:48 pm
-Too many missed FT’s
-Zero low post presence
-No threat of offense in the half court
-Can’t guard the dribble drive
-We jack 3’s like it’s going outta style
- #1 True Fr. Point Guard looks promising
-We did miss some freebies
-Hard to have low post presence with Kinney in foul trouble, and now that Tyrell plays more on the wing
-I'm not sure anyone in college basketball at our level can guard the drive
-Analytics says that three point shooting pays off over time.
-Forrest and O'Showen will be dynamite in the Sun Belt.
Not sure if I buy the 3 point analysis. Illinois st down by 18 first half- they are like 1 of 15 from 3. Bad coaching to keep jacking and falling farther behind

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:56 pm
I would like to see better ball movement, less 3's being taken immediately upon crossing half court and something that resembles post play. In short, better shot selection. The bad part is, we've been seeing this now for 3+ years.
Post play is basically a thing of the past in basketball. Bigs cant shoot free throws anymore, so there is no advantage to give them the ball in the post. They get fouled immediately, and the advantage switches back to the defense. We are long away from the play called, "get it down low and let big man create a shot."

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:46 pm
bigCasu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:05 am
QueencityApp wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:48 pm
-Too many missed FT’s
-Zero low post presence
-No threat of offense in the half court
-Can’t guard the dribble drive
-We jack 3’s like it’s going outta style
- #1 True Fr. Point Guard looks promising
-We did miss some freebies
-Hard to have low post presence with Kinney in foul trouble, and now that Tyrell plays more on the wing
-I'm not sure anyone in college basketball at our level can guard the drive
-Analytics says that three point shooting pays off over time.
-Forrest and O'Showen will be dynamite in the Sun Belt.
Not sure if I buy the 3 point analysis. Illinois st down by 18 first half- they are like 1 of 15 from 3. Bad coaching to keep jacking and falling farther behind
Let me rephrase that statement. If you are shooting 1-15 behind arc, you are gonna lose in college basketball. Three point shooting pays off if you have a team that can shoot them. Offenses are designed now to create open shots. Fox is a big believer in shot selection. If you are open, you gotta knock them down.

Considering that, you aren't climbing back into a game by going down low in the post because you aren't shooting well from behind the arc. Decent three point shooting is a must. If you aint knocking them down, the defense will collapse.

Thankfully we have added the some athletes, especially at guard, and we are pushing the ball on the rebound, a good way to get easy buckets, and get better shooters on the free throw line.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:43 am

bigCasu wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 am
sixtoes9134 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:56 pm
Post play is basically a thing of the past in basketball. Bigs cant shoot free throws anymore, so there is no advantage to give them the ball in the post. They get fouled immediately, and the advantage switches back to the defense. We are long away from the play called, "get it down low and let big man create a shot."
That's generally true (other than maybe the part about bigs shooting FTs worse than in the past).

OTOH, Gonzaga and Carolina played for the championship last year in large part because they had the two biggest frontcourts and dominated the glass against all those teams that were built to space the floor. So there is sometimes an advantage in going counter to the trend.

I think sixtoes has a point, not that we should stop shooting threes, but that you can often get a better shot by working inside-out than by just passing the ball around the perimeter a few times and shooting a 3 without ever attacking the basket.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 am

There will never be a champion in college basketball that doesn't have stellar post play to balance solid 3 point shooting. So, no it is not a thing of the past.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 pm

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 am
There will never be a champion in college basketball that doesn't have stellar post play to balance solid 3 point shooting. So, no it is not a thing of the past.
It's a thing of the past in the Sun Belt.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”