Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Western Michigan game

Goapps15
School: Appalachian State

Re: Western Michigan game

Unread post by Goapps15 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 pm

I just don't get how Fox continually gets a pass in year 4. Yeah he's a good guy but come on now.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 pm

The first 10 minutes of the second half:
we had more fouls--8
than points--7

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Jim is 32-62 as head coach and has had the same assistant coaches for three-plus years now.

I feel like we're close, but losing counts no matter how you lose. There's going to be a point this season where this team has a chance to break through and be decent. If they do, they have a chance at a winning season. If they don't, more of the same.

Thank the basketball gods for Ronshad.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 am

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 pm
Jim is 32-62 as head coach and has had the same assistant coaches for three-plus years now.

I feel like we're close, but losing counts no matter how you lose. There's going to be a point this season where this team has a chance to break through and be decent. If they do, they have a chance at a winning season. If they don't, more of the same.

Thank the basketball gods for Ronshad.
I had really hoped that with Fox we would get the precision and fluidity that Davidson has played with since he spent so long work for McKillop. But, it I don't believe we will see that breakthrough. I'm just not seeing it. Yes, and thanks for Ronshad. Coaching and playing tree branches don't always equal success, as we have painfully seen.

HBTApps

Unread post by HBTApps » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:27 am

I used to come on this thread for some quality conversation. Now it's just depressing. I've never seen so many people just destroy our individual players and team so bad. "We haven't even won a D1 game yet"... Really! Wow thats insane, I can't believe we have lost All 2 games against them. Last I checked Western Michigan was the heavy favorite to win their conference (nobody knows how they will be yet, season Just started). Guys, the season Just started, not saying don't complain at all, but people were complaining even when we were playing close and winning. Some of you have predetermined this teams fate for the year, since you already know the outcome why even watch the game??? Each year is a different team, give This team a chance before you making them all walk the plank. I just really hope our players, their families, and our future recruits aren't reading these threads.
Rant Over
Go Apps!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:34 am

Let’s be honest this is really year two. Said at the beginning he’ll get the full five years, it is time to start seeing results however.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:37 am

I haven't once blamed the players. I've point blank put it on Fox and his staff. They get paid money to have thick skin. They would tell you 32-62 is not good enough too.

It is time to see results as Saint said. I just wish people judged Fox like Capel.

I will gladly eat crow if Fox turns it around.
Last edited by Goapps15 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 am

Woah, judge Fox like Caple? One inherited a 20 win team and destroyed it as well as the academic integrity of the program and left his mess to Fox. He’s the reason Fox is allowed the full five years IMO.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:13 am

HBTApps wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:27 am
I used to come on this thread for some quality conversation. Now it's just depressing. I've never seen so many people just destroy our individual players and team so bad. "We haven't even won a D1 game yet"... Really! Wow thats insane, I can't believe we have lost All 2 games against them. Last I checked Western Michigan was the heavy favorite to win their conference (nobody knows how they will be yet, season Just started). Guys, the season Just started, not saying don't complain at all, but people were complaining even when we were playing close and winning. Some of you have predetermined this teams fate for the year, since you already know the outcome why even watch the game??? Each year is a different team, give This team a chance before you making them all walk the plank. I just really hope our players, their families, and our future recruits aren't reading these threads.
Rant Over
Go Apps!!!
Tonight was their first D1 win, something we've yet to do

That was the actual quote and it is also true. It doesn't predetermine our season and yes the two teams (D1) we have lost to are pretty good but the reality is they were winless against D1 competition before they played us. A small sample size to be true and one would likely have predicted losses before the season began based on their past performances. Having watched us twice now, I do believe we are more talented this year but unfortunately thus far I see alot of the same issues that have plagued the team the last several years. Essentially, this team lives by three and dies by it. I do believe we'll fare better in conference play this year, but there are tendencies (turnovers, poor defense, poor foul shooting) that continue to hold this team back.

It's also time to stop using the Capel excuse. This is Fox's team. It is interesting that his best year was the first year he took over for Capel.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:35 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 am
Woah, judge Fox like Caple? One inherited a 20 win team and destroyed it as well as the academic integrity of the program and left his mess to Fox. He’s the reason Fox is allowed the full five years IMO.
Cobb's fault for hiring Capel. He was far from qualified to take over the head coach role, really for any D1 program. Fox has way higher expectations given his prior experience. Always have to give a new coach time to get his players, but seeing the same trends so far this year as years past doesn't show much improvement or adjustments. I'm not going to judge a season off two games, and hope to see improvement as the year goes on. I'm pulling for Fox to get it right. Starting over and finding a coach to take over a losing program is tough. Really hope Fox can get things going.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Let’s see:

Jason Capel took a winning, competitive team and ....

1) Immediately flew it into the ground

2) Recruited players who not only lacked athletic talent but also weren’t qualified academically

3) Failed to promote the program within the App community.

4) Turned the media against him by skipping postgame pressers.

Jim Fox inherited a losing team that was headed for academic probation. Since then his teams have struggled to reach .500. But he has ...

1) Repaired our academic standing. The players he has brought in are far more capable of handling the academic load

2) When faced with how to discipline a talented player who had been caught smoking reefer, he took a route he knew would hurt the team in the short term. A lot of coaches with less integrity would have looked the other way, but he suspended the player on the eve of the conference tournament. In so doing, he set a high standard for the program, one we can all be proud of.

3) Improved recruiting. Hunter Seacat will join us in about a month and is certain to help us. Next year’s class of Mike Bibby, Joseph Battle and Adrian Delph are getting great reviews.

No, we haven’t been as competitive as we would like. But our future is bright. Give him some room.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:12 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 pm
Let’s see:

2) Recruited players who not only lacked athletic talent but also weren’t qualified academically

John Fox inherited a losing team that was headed for academic probation. Since then his teams have struggled to reach .500. But he has ...

1) Repaired our academic standing. The players he has brought in are far more capable of handling the academic load

2) When faced with how to discipline a talented player who had been caught smoking reefer, he took a route he knew would hurt the team in the short term. A lot of coaches with less integrity would have looked the other way, but he suspended the player on the eve of the conference tournament. In so doing, he set a high standard for the program, one we can all be proud of.

3) Improved recruiting. Hunter Seacat will join us in about a month and is certain to help us. Next year’s class of Mike Bibby, Joseph Battle and Adrian Delph are getting great reviews.

No, we haven’t been as competitive as we would like. But our future is bright. Give him some room.
I agree with all the above . Fox has had close to 4 years ...there is his room.this team needed to be above last year and while it still could be... its not right now.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:22 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 pm
Let’s see:

John Fox inherited a losing team that was headed for academic probation. Since then his teams have struggled to reach .500. But he has ...

It is what it is.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 am

BTW, it's Jim Fox.

It is universally agreed that the Capel years took the program downhill. No one expected Fox to work miracles and he has righted the ship in many ways aside from on the court success. I don't think it unreasonable to expect in year four to see a better performance on the court. Again no miracles expected but certainly not unreasonable to hope for better than we've seen in the last two seasons.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 am

I agree with the folks who think that next year looks promising, especially on the perimeter. We just need to find a couple of true bangers down low who can consistently rebound, disrupt shots, and provide for a true inside-out game. Also, if we're going to be a 3-point shooting team, like Davidson, we need guys who can consistently knock it down. We need a high percentage guy down low, and several of them from long range. We haven't seemed to be able to land a high quality post player.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 am

app97 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 am
I agree with the folks who think that next year looks promising, especially on the perimeter. We just need to find a couple of true bangers down low who can consistently rebound, disrupt shots, and provide for a true inside-out game. Also, if we're going to be a 3-point shooting team, like Davidson, we need guys who can consistently knock it down. We need a high percentage guy down low, and several of them from long range. We haven't seemed to be able to land a high quality post player.
Without a solid rebounding game, it is not smart to shoot a lot of threefers.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:19 am

If we get better game by game I'll be satisfied this year.Next year is a different story,Shabazz is a special talent and we have to make the most of it...

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Good first half against UTEP.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Yep. I noticed, because nobody is complaining.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BurlingtonApp

Unread post by BurlingtonApp » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Followed by a 16-0 run by UTEP to start the second half. Incredible.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”