Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Houston Fancher

Peter Venkman
School: Appalachian State

Houston Fancher

Unread post by Peter Venkman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi, new poster here but lifelong App State fan. I wanted to get your thoughts on whether fans think it's worth it to try to bring Houston Fancher back up the mountain. He's currently an assistant at UNCC. I know we don't necessarily have the best luck with bringing coaches back (see: Buzz Peterson) but clearly the Fox experiment is not working in the 4th year. I still blame Cobb for the Capel hire and setting us on the course straight to the bottom.

Additionally, this season has been an embarrassment so far, with the latest collapse coming at the hands of JMU. This got me thinking, why on earth did we schedule Toccoa Falls and Bridgewater to open the season? With 350+ D-I basketball programs, I'm guessing someone had to be available.

Lastly, who on earth decided tomorrow was a good day to host Davidson in Boone? Is anyone in town? Are the athletic administrators doing anything to advertise this game and attempt to get students to show up in the Holmes center? We desperately need fans in the seats for this game and after seeing the crowd size on TV against Bridgewater, I'm afraid to think about fewer than 500 fans on TV against Davidson.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Re: Houston Fancher

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Cobb did a lot of dick head things his final years in Boone, although he did do some great things as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Buzz told him to his face that he'd come back for just one year then look to leave. Also wouldn't be surprised if Capel was thought of when he arrived same year as Buzz to be the replacement after Buzz one year.

With that rant over...I would gladly accept Coach Fancher. He was with the program for almost 15 years. Should the decision for Fox to go become a reality, it will be tough to find an experienced coach to take over a losing program with other off the court issues in recent history.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:29 pm

It's premature to be speculating on Fox's future. He has nearly two years remaining on his contract. Anything can happen in that length of time. Don't misunderstand my statements. I don't know a single soul in the Mountaineer family who's happy with the current situation. It's not presently acceptable.

Since you posed the question, no we won't seek to re-hire Houston. He finished his term at App just one game over .500. That wasn't acceptable, either.

Every team in Division I has to play home games in November-December when students aren't on campus. It goes with the territory. The TV audience should be the least of our worries in regard to the DC Cats contest.

Our guys will learn more from the Davidson game than a hundred exhibitions against DII or DIII teams. Playing good teams presents our guys with an opportunity to get better.

I have no comment about if, how much or how well the game is being marketed. Under present circumstances, it's pretty slick ground to get any traction on.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:01 pm

My answer is "No".....too many options for DG to explore and retreads ain't one of them. HOWEVER I'm optimistic Fox is almost where we want to be.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Peter Venkman wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:07 pm
Hi, new poster here but lifelong App State fan. I wanted to get your thoughts on whether fans think it's worth it to try to bring Houston Fancher back up the mountain. He's currently an assistant at UNCC. I know we don't necessarily have the best luck with bringing coaches back (see: Buzz Peterson) but clearly the Fox experiment is not working in the 4th year. I still blame Cobb for the Capel hire and setting us on the course straight to the bottom.

Additionally, this season has been an embarrassment so far, with the latest collapse coming at the hands of JMU. This got me thinking, why on earth did we schedule Toccoa Falls and Bridgewater to open the season? With 350+ D-I basketball programs, I'm guessing someone had to be available.

Lastly, who on earth decided tomorrow was a good day to host Davidson in Boone? Is anyone in town? Are the athletic administrators doing anything to advertise this game and attempt to get students to show up in the Holmes center? We desperately need fans in the seats for this game and after seeing the crowd size on TV against Bridgewater, I'm afraid to think about fewer than 500 fans on TV against Davidson.
The Davidson game had to be moved to accommodate us playing in the PR tip-off last week. This opportunity came about this summer when FSU dropped out and Davidson was kind of enough to find a date to reschedule. If you think tomorrow night is bad just take a look at our conference schedule and see how many home games we play while the students are on break.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Welcome to the board. No on Fancher.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:58 pm

The answer is Patience for Fox!

Too many “fans” forget the dumpster fire we’ve had as a basketball program for the last 30 years. Aside from a few blips when we were competitive, we’ve never been able to put together a consistent product. Fox can do well, but we have to start to make the HCC a home court advantage. Coming onto a message board to vent about ANYTHING does NOTHING.

A better solution is to grab 2-3 friends and drive up the mountain to God’s Country for a couple of scooners at Macado’s and take in a Saturday cheering on the black & gold. You can be home before midnight and sleep in your own bed. Total cost is less than $100 including gas. ...sorry, I’m just tired of complaints with no solutions.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Too many “fans” forget the dumpster fire we’ve had as a basketball program for the last 30 years. Aside from a few blips when we were competitive, we’ve never been able to put together a consistent product. Fox can do well, but we have to start to make the HCC a home court advantage. Coming onto a message board to vent about ANYTHING does NOTHING.

A better solution is to grab 2-3 friends and drive up the mountain to God’s Country for a couple of scooners at Macado’s and take in a Saturday cheering on the black & gold. You can be home before midnight and sleep in your own bed. Total cost is less than $100 including gas. ...sorry, I’m just tired of complaints with no solutions.
I like your attitude and agree with most. Only issue I'd take is saying we've been a dumpster fire for 30 years.

In the Buzz/Fancher/Buzz era, we won 18+ games eight times in 13 seasons, including four 20+ win seasons. Not spectacular perhaps, but I'd say that's more than blips of being competitive. And it didn't exactly take two HOF coaches to do it.

Unfortunately we made a disastrous hire in Capel, and it set us back many years.

Fox may or may not be the guy to get us back where we want, but I agree there's not much point throwing in the towel on the season in November.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:23 am

Frankly, I'm as frustrated as anybody at the start of this bball season. I believe there is enough talent to succeed at our level but we can't seem to avoid the same mistakes game in and game out. And while I think it is important to win these OOC games, in the end, this season will be measured by how we perform in Belt play. It seems to me anything less than middle of the pack would indicate that we aren't making any real progress.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:23 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 pm
Boone Goon wrote:

I like your attitude and agree with most. Only issue I'd take is saying we've been a dumpster fire for 30 years.

In the Buzz/Fancher/Buzz era, we won 18+ games eight times in 13 seasons, including four 20+ win seasons. Not spectacular perhaps, but I'd say that's more than blips of being competitive. And it didn't exactly take two HOF coaches to do it.

Unfortunately we made a disastrous hire in Capel, and it set us back many years.

Fox may or may not be the guy to get us back where we want, but I agree there's not much point throwing in the towel on the season in November.
I want to emphasize your dead on point about Capel. He did more damage to our program than Maravich. Again I think we are on the right path.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 am

Capel did his damage. But it is year 4. It's time for Fox to get it going. He's finally got the talent.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:19 am

Yeah, we have some talent, things are moving in a better direction. Unfortunately our D is really bad at the top. If Fox can figure out how to keep our guards from getting screened to death and stop falling for the fake shot, we might be ok.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 am

...patience.

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:34 am

i'm actually much more pleased with what I see on the court right now. i think we are competitive right now. We will probably win 12 to 15 games this season which would be a nice improvement...i think next season is the season to determine whether or not Fox is working out or not. Its way to early in the season to say he's not doing well...we gave iowa st all they could handle....we beat utep and had a good 1st have against western michigan...the only bad loss was to JMU @ their place..in what was a must win for them...if we win today...that would go a long way...i'm excited about Forest and Shabaaz...Kinney is productive as well

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:45 am

Boone Goon wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 am
...patience.
How many years does he need? 10?

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:45 pm

i would say after year 5

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:50 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:45 am
Boone Goon wrote:
...patience.
Check yourself buddy! I don’t know you and you sure as heck don’t know me.

Let’s just say my expectations are based on more on reality than hopes and dreams.

If the MBB team finishes in the top 2/3 of the Sun Belt we should be very satisfied. I expect the program to regularly be a .500 team. Anything better than that is way beyond expectations. That doesn’t mean I’m ‘happy with’ or I ‘want’ a .500 so don’t go there. It’s about expectations compared to our programs legacy and how it’s funded. I’ve been going to games for 30 years now and appreciate what we have in Fox. It’s way more than just on the court! Too many have forgotten the embarrassment we’ve had in the classroom and community in the past. To me that is more important than just wins and losses. And I will support the black & gold regardless of the record.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:23 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 pm
Boone Goon wrote:

I want to emphasize your dead on point about Capel. He did more damage to our program than Maravich. Again I think we are on the right path.

True Rek, fortunately we got lucky and found a Bobby Cremins to resurrect the program and more. As they say, those were the days of wine and roses.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:35 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:50 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:45 am
Boone Goon wrote:
...patience.
Check yourself buddy! I don’t know you and you sure as heck don’t know me.

Let’s just say my expectations are based on more on reality than hopes and dreams.

If the MBB team finishes in the top 2/3 of the Sun Belt we should be very satisfied. I expect the program to regularly be a .500 team. Anything better than that is way beyond expectations. That doesn’t mean I’m ‘happy with’ or I ‘want’ a .500 so don’t go there. It’s about expectations compared to our programs legacy and how it’s funded. I’ve been going to games for 30 years now and appreciate what we have in Fox. It’s way more than just on the court! Too many have forgotten the embarrassment we’ve had in the classroom and community in the past. To me that is more important than just wins and losses. And I will support the black & gold regardless of the record.
He was hired to win games. The community stuff is important as is the classroom. I'm just saying patience is nice but he should be judged by his record too.

No need from the personal shot either. My question was solely about the team and performance level. I support them to but hold them to a higher standard. Cheers!

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:52 pm

App beats Davidson 78-62. This thread can be closed now. Believe in what Fox is doing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”