Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Yosef Stage

NO.2
School: Appalachian State

Yosef Stage

Unread post by NO.2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:46 am

I'll preface this by saying that someone from YC met with me during the game and has assured me that this matter will be taken care of, but I'd like to see if anyone else had a similar issue at the USF game.

A student employee (or volunteer) with the Yosef Club denied my entry to the hospitality stage because I did not have my YC card on me. I tried to assure him that I have been a member for 4 years and watch every game I attend (90% of them) from that stage but he would not budge and became very disrespectful and condescending. At that point I was starting to become pretty frustrated and decided to walk away and handle it through contacting the Yosef Club rather than cause a scene.

The icing on the cake is that afterwards I watched him admit nearly two dozen other people without even thinking twice. There were older folks, younger alums like myself, and everyone in between.

Did anyone else have any issues with this kid last night? He was mainly stationed at the front entrance at the side of section 3, was bald and had glasses.

Boone Goon

Re: Yosef Stage

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 am

I didn’t have that issue, but I was stopped coming into the arena seating area and asked to see my general admission ticket. The checker told me I had “to sit right here” (gray corner seats)...we did, but then noticed the yellow seats were 90% empty...we waited 10 minutes and then moved to the 2nd Row center court.

I get the tickets were free, but this game was an opportunity to get fans, who don’t normally attend, into the HCC and make them want to come back regularly. The atmosphere was good overall, and we have a fun team to watch. There is more talent on this team than we’ve had in years.

They should have said, “sit anywhere, but if a season ticket holder comes for those seats you’ll need to move to a higher seat.”

The thing I was most surprised by was how few football fans came to the basketball game...the basketball game was over by 9 and we were back in Raleigh before midnight. We had a great day cheering for our Mountaineers!

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 am

NO.2 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:46 am
I'll preface this by saying that someone from YC met with me during the game and has assured me that this matter will be taken care of, but I'd like to see if anyone else had a similar issue at the USF game.

A student employee (or volunteer) with the Yosef Club denied my entry to the hospitality stage because I did not have my YC card on me. I tried to assure him that I have been a member for 4 years and watch every game I attend (90% of them) from that stage but he would not budge and became very disrespectful and condescending. At that point I was starting to become pretty frustrated and decided to walk away and handle it through contacting the Yosef Club rather than cause a scene.

The icing on the cake is that afterwards I watched him admit nearly two dozen other people without even thinking twice. There were older folks, younger alums like myself, and everyone in between.

Did anyone else have any issues with this kid last night? He was mainly stationed at the front entrance at the side of section 3, was bald and had glasses.
I hate to say it, but sounds like the kid was doing his job. If you didn't have your card, that's on you. Now, there's no reason for him to become disrespectful or condescending, but I can understand why he turned you away. I was asked to show my card also, but had it with me.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 am

What card? The credit card looking thing that comes with our YC packet? I thought those were for YC discounts (although they never have any). I don’t think it’s common knowledge. I didn’t know it was an ID card for getting on the platform at basketball games.

Yesterday probably had more YC members attending a B-ball game who won’t attend another all year. Great time to be a stickler.

No.2 left out the details that really pissed me off about this story. I’ll let him post the comment the kid made if he wants to.

Take my word for it that regardless of whatever stupid “ID Card” policy he was following, he needs to be fired if employed there or asked not to return if he volunteered there. Complete (possibly racist) prick.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:23 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 am
NO.2 wrote:

I hate to say it, but sounds like the kid was doing his job. If you didn't have your card, that's on you. Now, there's no reason for him to become disrespectful or condescending, but I can understand why he turned you away. I was asked to show my card also, but had it with me.
The "doing his job" argument would completely pan out if I didn't watch him let in 20 other people without asking for their cards. I've never been asked to show mine in 30+ games that I've been to since becoming a donor.

When I tried to say "Ok, fine, I'll be a guest of one of my friends that just walked in." He said "Nah, that doesn't work, I'm not letting you in."

Edit: This is not the comment that Gonzo is referring to. I’ll keep that between myself and the Yosef rep I spoke with while he looks into what happened.
Last edited by NO.2 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:34 am

A little off topic, but we took advantage of the "free ticket" offer to attend the game last night. Nice win and the Holmes Center can become a nice home venue if the program's success continues. However, I did have one major issue. The scoreboard was used for showing live video of the game (no replays, which is understood). However, there were no individual stats on display during the game or even at half-time. (On my way out, I finally found "scoreboards" at the top of the arena--which were not visible from our lower level seats, that showed scoring a fouls).
I've attended a ton of CBB games in 30+ venues over the years and never attended a game where I couldn't see individual scoring and fouls during the game. Honestly, it was a strange experience. Hopefully, game management can make a change. There's really no reason to run live video in a small venue, when you can clearly see the action on the court.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:46 am

That was the first time I've been to the Stage at basketball and was immediately asked for the card, just like I have been every time I've been to the Quinn Center before a football game the last few years. I figured it was common.

Like I said, no reason for the guy to run his mouth and sounds like he made some pretty inflammatory comments and that would be more than just cause for dismissal.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:17 am

The stats were on the ribbon boards on the floor opposite the teams benches. Not sure where else they are located.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:17 am
The stats were on the ribbon boards on the floor opposite the teams benches. Not sure where else they are located.
I sat across from the teams benches (section 4). There were no stats visible from where I sat. The ribbon board between the benches only show the ads.
Again, while clarity of the video board is great, it serves absolutely zero purpose to show live action in an arena the size of Holmes. The best scenario would be stats, with the cut-in to a replay or promo (such as the Thickburger 3).
The goal yesterday was to expose fans, so we'll come back. Having easy-to-see stats is part of the game experience that I look for.

Just my two cents...

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 pm

NO.2 wrote:

The kid is very likely a Student Yosef member volunteering at the basketball game (though I can't think of one who is bald and wears glasses). I hope you made sure to get his name so any untoward behavior can be corrected. It is possible that the folks allowed in were one's he recognized as being $1000+ Yosef donors. For example, I work with SYC members fairly regularly. Many of them would know me well enough not to need to ask for my card.

@Gonzo, if your Yosef card contains the words "Hospitality Access", its purpose is to allow you access to The Quinn and the basketball hospitality stage.

All, Brian Tracy is the associate AD for basketball. I recommend addressing questions and concerns to him.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:53 pm

I honestly hate that stage anyways, looks tacky.
We should get rid of it.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:53 pm
We should get rid of it.
Kinda agree. At least it got moved to the other end so that the visiting team has to shoot free throws in the 2nd half with the students in the background.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:02 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:53 pm
We should get rid of it.
Kinda agree. At least it got moved to the other end so that the visiting team has to shoot free throws in the 2nd half with the students in the background.
I really don't know, do any other college basketball programs have anything similar? I know big schools have nothing like it. I think it's extremely stupid

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 am

I don't need to pile on here. I was close when it happened. It was not a cordial situation. What is most unfortunate is we never have had a problem with this before over the course of the last three seasons.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 am

bigCasu wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 am
I don't need to pile on here. I was close when it happened. It was not a cordial situation. What is most unfortunate is we never have had a problem with this before over the course of the last three seasons.
Thanks for chiming in, bigC. Would you mind to shoot Brian Tracy an email so he hears from more than one person about the particulars?

One of the last things we need is to make the basketball fan experience an unpleasant one.

#GiveYosef

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:21 am

What level do you have to be at to have access to this stage?

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 am

appmaj wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:21 am
What level do you have to be at to have access to this stage?
The Yosef hospitality room is for $1,000+ donors. I believe that includes both football and basketball.

#GiveYosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”