Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Western Carolina game

beav910
School: Appalachian State

Re: Western Carolina game

Unread post by beav910 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:59 pm

My senior year and here I am thinking we get revenge on Western from last year. This one stings. Onto the next one. Isn't Seacat eligible starting the Ohio State game?
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:02 pm

Man ol’ man. What the heck! After watching this whole game and seeing us not use the talent we have to our advantage against the Cants...I’m putting Coach Fox officially in the HOT SEAT in my book. Time to pick it up Apps or be prepared to move along Coach.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:03 pm

This was a game you can not lose if you are trying to convince anyone you are going in the right direction. We did , and we aren't.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Lost to an inferior team again. It might have been my black and gold colored glasses, but we could not get a call to go our way, especially fouls against WCU. They finally called an illegal screen after it happened half a dozen times. #23 for them has his way against our post players for much of the night, but he hooks and pushes off constantly. The most obvious hook was the one that won the game.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Look make no mistakes this was a bad loss but so far Western's 6 losses have come to the likes of Clemson, Cincinnati, Minnesota, UMass and C of C. We still should have won but it infuriates me how the boobirds only come out when things go poorly. Anyone who has watched this team the past few weeks can blatantly tell this team is better and more talented than the last few years. In a rebuild there are always bumps in the road, and this is one of those. You guys calling for Fox's head right now is crazy, I still think this team will finish .500 in the conference (a huge improvement/step in the right direction). Bad loss but we're a young team learning how to win. This was Western's super bowl, they simply wanted it more tonight. We were clearly better, just made some mental mistakes. Again, that's common for a young team on the road in a hostile environment.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Not sure about the turnover numbers, but we had lots of energy and several guys hit big shots, including Hinton, T Johnson, and Forrest is clutch. However, their #13 and #2 could not miss from 3 and WCU treats this like a super bowl. They want nothing more than to beat App State. Also, they were handing out free pizza to students. That’s one way to get kids to the game.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:13 pm
Look make no mistakes this was a bad loss but so far Western's 6 losses have come to the likes of Clemson, Cincinnati, Minnesota, UMass and C of C. We still should have won but it infuriates me how the boobirds only come out when things go poorly. Anyone who has watched this team the past few weeks can blatantly tell this team is better and more talented than the last few years. In a rebuild there are always bumps in the road, and this is one of those. You guys calling for Fox's head right now is crazy, I still think this team will finish .500 in the conference (a huge improvement/step in the right direction). Bad loss but we're a young team learning how to win. This was Western's super bowl, they simply wanted it more tonight. We were clearly better, just made some mental mistakes. Again, that's common for a young team on the road in a hostile environment.
You nailed it. Precisely the way I see it.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm

Sorry, but in my opinion this loss negates anything positive from this team so far this year. To get owned by a 2-6 Western team is never acceptable. Tired of hearing "young" and "Capel" and any other excuses. Back to square one and the clock is ticking.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm

There were only around 10 app fans at the game from what I could see. One was Cantwell, and 2 were Justin Forrest’s parents. The first thing I noticed when our team came out was Jim Fox acknowledging the few App fans in attendance and Kinney saying “thanks for being here”. It’s a tough trip on a Monday night, but these guys need support.

dp42828

Unread post by dp42828 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:27 pm

We just got completely screwed at the end. Definitely an offensive foul for hooking - it was textbook hooking.

Then like 3-4 fouls on WCU on the last possession.

#homecooking

Should have made some FTs and less turnovers though
David
2004 Marketing & Management Grad

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm
Sorry, but in my opinion this loss negates anything positive from this team so far this year. To get owned by a 2-6 Western team is never acceptable. Tired of hearing "young" and "Capel" and any other excuses. Back to square one and the clock is ticking.
Hahah you are crazy. Basketball is not like football. In football almost always the better team prevails, but basketball isn't always like that. We are better than Western but there's not some huge gap between the two. Almost every year teams like Duke and UNC are the class of the ACC but still drop a few random games to the teams like VT, Clemson, BC usually on the road. Tonight was the perfect storm for Western. They had some unconscious players that carried them. Between that, iffy officiating, a hostile environment, etc you had a perfect storm for Western. This team is without a doubt making strides. You guys just love running here to bash Fox and the team when things go bad. This board was much more silent Saturday night after we drubbed USF.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:46 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:
Hahah you are crazy. Basketball is not like football. In football almost always the better team prevails, but basketball isn't always like that. We are better than Western but there's not some huge gap between the two. Almost every year teams like Duke and UNC are the class of the ACC but still drop a few random games to the teams like VT, Clemson, BC usually on the road. Tonight was the perfect storm for Western. They had some unconscious players that carried them. Between that, iffy officiating, a hostile environment, etc you had a perfect storm for Western. This team is without a doubt making strides. You guys just love running here to bash Fox and the team when things go bad. This board was much more silent Saturday night after we drubbed USF.
Don't let facts get in your way but you'd have to go way back to find anything I've posted the least bit negative about Coach Fox. I think he is a fine man. I hope your belief that we are better than a Western team that just beat us yet again will satisfy you for another long year. I believe we should expect better.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:52 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:46 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:
Don't let facts get in your way but you'd have to go way back to find anything I've posted the least bit negative about Coach Fox. I think he is a fine man. I hope your belief that we are better than a Western team that just beat us yet again will satisfy you for another long year. I believe we should expect better.
And we should. IMo, thumping teams like Davidson and USF is "better." Doesn't mean there still won't be frustrating moments. It's part of a rebuild

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:19 pm

It doesn't take a rebuild to teach and play hard, scrappy defense. Doesn't really take spectacular talent... It takes spectacular effort. I am disappointed that Fox hasn't brought a Mikillop/Davidson mentality to our team since he's been here... I'm not a "boo-bird" either, this is reality.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:21 pm

I attended the game. We lost for the second straight year to a very bad WCU. We were clearly not well conditioned in the second half. Standing stationary. Western was in better shape. Officiating was bad both ways. No advantage to the home team. Kinney was out of control. We had a clear path for running down the clock after regaining the lead, which we should give credit to the team for doing, but then threw up a brick from 30! Very disappointed.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:22 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:52 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:46 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:
And we should. IMo, thumping teams like Davidson and USF is "better." Doesn't mean there still won't be frustrating moments. It's part of a rebuild
I wish I could see this as a freakish "perfect storm" loss to a lesser team, but the fact is that Western has won 8 out of the last 10, including the last 5 in Cullowhee. I don't care if we beat Duke, if Western is beating us this regularly, we are light years away from where we need to be.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:05 am

Western is not terrible and we are a better team than we've been. Calm down guys. This is like the football team losing to ULM. We will be fine. Free throws have to get better though.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:12 am

i have no expectations of making the NCAA this year and know that we are probably going to lose a lot of games that we think we shouldn't, but we are also going to win some that we shouldn't. My expectation before the season began was to finish above .500 and win a game or two in our conference tournament. As of now, those goals are still well within reach.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:19 am

Honestly the next step in the process is to start winning winnable road games like last night. Get a shot at it this weekend again.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 am

wncapp78 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:21 pm
I attended the game. We lost for the second straight year to a very bad WCU. We were clearly not well conditioned in the second half. Standing stationary. Western was in better shape. Officiating was bad both ways. No advantage to the home team. Kinney was out of control. We had a clear path for running down the clock after regaining the lead, which we should give credit to the team for doing, but then threw up a brick from 30! Very disappointed.
Western’s strategy was to slow the game WAY down because they knew they couldn’t run with us, just like last year. It worked once again...that and the fact that we couldn’t get a hand in the face if those two long range shooters.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”