Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

APP vs Hampton

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: APP vs Hampton

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Dumpster fire? This is it.Meanwhile Wofford is playing UNC tough.Wofford is 7-4. They would beat us by 20. Our program is an embarrassment.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:18 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:42 pm
asu66 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 pm
Jiminy Christmas! Really embarrassing post-game interview by Fox. He's a poor ambassador for Appalachian. Sad to "see" and hear going out over our sports network! Pure brand damage!
Didn't stick around for that. What did he say?
Jim was almost speechless. I'm not certain he put a complete sentence together. There was a lot of inarticulate gibberish. In one breath he shouldered the blame for the embarrassing performance and in the next, he blamed the players for starting their holiday season a few hours too early. In his most cohesive statement, he named Ike Johnson as the only guy on the roster who gave his all for 40 minutes.

Every answer he gave to Harrison's questions started with a long, pregnant pause and a weak "Ughhhhhh, er ughhhhhh..." All totaled, the interview lasted maybe two or three minutes. He couldn't wait to get away from that "hot" mike and in the air to Long Island. :shock:
Last edited by asu66 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 pm
Dumpster fire? This is it.Meanwhile Wofford is playing UNC tough.Wofford is 7-4. They would beat us by 20. Our program is an embarrassment.
Speaking of Wofford, Mike Young is a class act and super down to earth. They played in Asheville on Sunday as a part of the mountain invitational. My 7 year old and I ran into him in the bathroom after his game and he chatted with my son. I told him I am always impressed with his teams’ discipline and efficiency. He said “thanks, we try not to not make it too complicated”.

Anything can happen on any given day in college b-ball these days. Wofford winning at UNC, Furman hanging with Tennessee, and jmu almost knocking off florida. I’m hopeful that App will show that tonight was another abberation once we get into conference play.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Sounds like Jim has lost it , holy cow this team beat a good Davidson squad a month ago and has absolutely fallen apart since the USF game.Getting worse and losing to bad teams ANYWHERE speaks loudly about the program.I would LOVE to have Mike Young in Boone.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:00 pm

At this point I hope it's a permanent vacation for Jim.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:06 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 pm
Sounds like Jim has lost it , holy cow this team beat a good Davidson squad a month ago and has absolutely fallen apart since the USF game.Getting worse and losing to bad teams ANYWHERE speaks loudly about the program.I would LOVE to have Mike Young in Boone.
I know there were rumors about him interviewing after capel was canned, but I don’t know if there’s any validity. He’s obviously happy in Spartanburg. 20 something years as assistant and head coach and has had plenty of opportunities to leave for a lot more money...just got a nice new arena as well.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:19 pm

He just took down UNC in the road, we can’t take down UNC-a on the road.
Surely we could get him up the mountain...

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:24 pm

App would finish in the basement of the socon easily. There are 9 teams better than them hands down.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 pm

app97 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:06 pm
Stonewall wrote:
I know there were rumors about him interviewing after capel was canned, but I don’t know if there’s any validity. He’s obviously happy in Spartanburg. 20 something years as assistant and head coach and has had plenty of opportunities to leave for a lot more money...just got a nice new arena as well.
Young's wife makes more money than he does. Another good reason to stay at Wofford.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:41 pm

I generally try to be a voice of moderation after losses. I've got nothing tonight. Wow.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:59 pm

Who was it that thought we would win 20 games after the first win of the season 135-34 over Toccoa Falls, who has been getting beat by 60+ every game. Hampton??? Really? SMDH
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:55 am

I've been one of Fox's biggest defenders the past few weeks, but yeah there's no way you can make an excuse for this one. I genuinely thought after smacking Davidson and USF we were ready to take a significant step when it comes to improvement. Well we've clearly gotten worse since then. What's so concerning is how the team just did not seem to care tonight. On paper, this is a team we should have beaten by double digits. There is no way they are 30 points better than us. We just came out with no desire to win, and clearly no one wanted to be out there. That reflects on the coaches.

Unless things dramatically improve in conference play I don't know how we can justify giving Fox another year. This is just embarrassing. I know we're a football school but there is no excuse in being this terrible at this sport. I look at what Wofford has and there's no excuse we can't be somewhat similar to that. They play the game the right way. Cohesive, gritty, selfless, etc.

I sat around and thought, why don't we recruit kids like that Fletcher MaGee? Then I checked and we did indeed offer him. We need players like that to come to Boone. Those are the types of players McKillop won with, and they are the kinds of players Young succeeds with at Wofford. There's just so much wrong with this program.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:15 am

app97 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I know there were rumors about him interviewing after capel was canned, but I don’t know if there’s any validity. He’s obviously happy in Spartanburg. 20 something years as assistant and head coach and has had plenty of opportunities to leave for a lot more money...just wn.a nice new arena as well.
That story is essentially accurate. CCobb spoke with Young by phone to assess his interest and availability. Young told him that he had no interest in leaving Wof what-so-ever. He said, in a gracious way, that we'd need to look elsewhere. He and his wife are set for life in Spartytown.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:15 am

app97 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I know there were rumors about him interviewing after capel was canned, but I don’t know if there’s any validity. He’s obviously happy in Spartanburg. 20 something years as assistant and head coach and has had plenty of opportunities to leave for a lot more money...just wn.a nice new arena as well.
That story is essentially accurate. CCobb spoke with Young by phone to assess his interest and availability. Young told him that he had no interest in leaving Wof what-so-ever. He said, in a gracious way, that we'd need to look elsewhere. He and his wife are set for life in Spartytown.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:47 am

If you’re considering alternatives at head coach you may want to consider Bobby Lutz. Not that he would do it... but he has a good track record and he probably could “right the ship”.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:24 am

I have to say the only thing worse than our basketball teams are the fan support for our basketball teams. The arena is always empty. I used to drag people to the game and we would have the whole section to ourselves. It’s a chicken or the egg situation but we need good teams and good fan support.
Twitter: @RankAppState

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:33 am

The accumulation of losses must be taking a toll on their confidence. Whatever optimism that existed after USF has disappeared. Next week as we start conference play at home will tell us a lot about where this team is headed. It appears the Belt isn't as strong as last year so a similar finish as the previous two years is unacceptable.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:35 am

No excuse for losing this game in this manner. We have plenty of talent, but we're not producing the results. Fox and the staff can recruit well, but something isn't working on the bench. I hope they can figure it out during conference play.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 am

We play stupid. I can't believe fox is a Davidson guy. We play no defense. Shabazz does whatever he wants which is usually taking a dumb shot then playing little defense and there are no repercussions from Fox. We don't have the talent so we better be damn fundamentally sound and we sure aren't. Watching Furman and Wofford last night and even ETSU the other night against Xavier, it's shocking how much better they are than us.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:41 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 am
We play stupid. I can't believe fox is a Davidson guy. We play no defense. Shabazz does whatever he wants which is usually taking a dumb shot then playing little defense and there are no repercussions from Fox. We don't have the talent so we better be damn fundamentally sound and we sure aren't. Watching Furman and Wofford last night and even ETSU the other night against Xavier, it's shocking how much better they are than us.
All true! I've been saying this for 3.5 years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”