• Birthdays

MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

app97
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:09 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Asheville
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by app97 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:09 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:51 pm
app97 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:10 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:19 pm
Glad to be 2-0. Shabazz has nearly cost us 3 games now down the stretch at the line.
But, would we even be in the game without him?
No but he shouldn't be handling the ball then. He missed 4 big free throws today.
True. He missed the big ones at WCU as well down the stretch. UTA did a good job denying others the ball and made sure Shabazz would shoot since he was cold from the line. I just can’t believe how many shots Hervey missed. He’s considered a future NBA player and seems to be going through a very rough stretch. Kudos tonight to our guys for toughing it out. They had very active hands on d and knocked down big shots. Hard to believe that this UTA team beat western by 25 earlier in the season and we dominated them fir most of the game. Again, anything can happen in any given day at this level.



ncman071
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:40 am
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by ncman071 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:28 pm

Would be amazing to see us get a road win against a 12-3 LLU team this Wednesday...we need to get something going on the road to elevate our confidence...and we cannot allow a team to get back in the game after being up by more than 20 pts...missed free throws and turnovers suck.

but again i'm ecstatic we are 2-0 in the belt



Stonewall
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:33 pm

We really tighten up at inopportune times. It's cost us a couple of unforgivable losses and almost did the same Sunday.Fortunately we had enough of a cushion.The mental state of this program is abysmal.



bigCasu
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 433 times
Contact:

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 am

Guess what is not happening? Shabazz coming out of games late.



User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 13595
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 794 times
Been thanked: 792 times

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:59 am

bigCasu wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 am
Guess what is not happening? Shabazz coming out of games late.
I would have him on the floor whenever the game is on the line. I wouldn't, however, have him as the primary ball handler.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1582 times
Been thanked: 1312 times

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:44 pm

bigCasu wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 am
Guess what is not happening? Shabazz coming out of games late.
I'm not able to watch enough of the games to really offer an informed opinion. But it sucks to see people on a message board throwing our best player under the bus like they are on this thread. I see someone saying he did the same thing against JMU - a game where he shot 9-10 from the FT line. And against WCU, where he did shoot 0-3 but missed exactly one free throw the entire second half.

Dude obviously had a really bad stretch the other day. Maybe his late-game struggles have to do with the fact that he plays by far the most minutes on the team, with the most responsibility on both ends of the floor?

Also, I see people saying Shabazz shouldn't have the ball at the end, but I'm not seeing who should. Do we mean Williams (58% FT shooter)? Hinton (42%)? Forrest could make sense - at 71% he's 4 whole percentage points better than Shabazz.

I guess now that Taylor Lamb has used up his eligibility, Shabazz inherits his role as scapegoat for whatever goes wrong with App sports.



bigCasu
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 433 times
Contact:

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:47 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:59 am
bigCasu wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 am
Guess what is not happening? Shabazz coming out of games late.
I would have him on the floor whenever the game is on the line. I wouldn't, however, have him as the primary ball handler.
If Shabazz (67% FT) doesnt handle the ball, who does?

Justin Forrest 71% FT
O'Showen Williams 58% FT

That's literally our options at this point. I am hedging that 4% from the Jr. Shabazz over Fr. Forrest at this time.



bigCasu
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 433 times
Contact:

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:01 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:44 pm
bigCasu wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 am
Guess what is not happening? Shabazz coming out of games late.
I'm not able to watch enough of the games to really offer an informed opinion. But it sucks to see people on a message board throwing our best player under the bus like they are on this thread. I see someone saying he did the same thing against JMU - a game where he shot 9-10 from the FT line. And against WCU, where he did shoot 0-3 but missed exactly one free throw the entire second half.

Dude obviously had a really bad stretch the other day. Maybe his late-game struggles have to do with the fact that he plays by far the most minutes on the team, with the most responsibility on both ends of the floor?

Also, I see people saying Shabazz shouldn't have the ball at the end, but I'm not seeing who should. Do we mean Williams (58% FT shooter)? Hinton (42%)? Forrest could make sense - at 71% he's 4 whole percentage points better than Shabazz.

I guess now that Taylor Lamb has used up his eligibility, Shabazz inherits his role as scapegoat for whatever goes wrong with App sports.
East, this isn't directed at you but really for the masses.

I have a hard time blaming losses on any one particular player. Its a group effort out there. Shabazz is our most consistent scorer and player. He shows up every night. We have others who shoot well from FT line, but are bigs, and you don't want the ball in their hands. Do we need to be more consistent at the line? Absolutely. Arlington made a great come back to cut it close, but we haven't been in that position too many times. We'll learn from it. If anyone think Shabazz needs to be off the court, or not have the ball in his hands late in the game, you have not been paying attention.



User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 13595
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 794 times
Been thanked: 792 times

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Do you think he is the best person to trying to beat the press? I ask, not a loaded question.

Granted some of us don't live in Boone and get to go to every sporting event on campus, so I confess I'm not always paying attention. I would certainly defer to those who see the games first hand.

I do see where he is shooting 50% from the line in our last four games, so maybe Williams 57% isn't such a poor choice. Also, Williams has better assist to turnover ratio. My hope is at some point Ronshad will come thru with a big bucket or foul shot to win a game and Fox's faith in him will be vindicated.

The other question I have is, do we put too much responsibility on his shoulders? We expect him to handle the ball and lead the team in scoring. I understand he is our most dynamic player but I wonder if we expect him to carry too much of the load.



User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm just happy we won our first 2 SB games after the Hampton debacle, one of them against one of the best mid-major teams in the NCAA. They made a run and that should have been expected. That we held them off ultimately is a good sign. That happens in the past 8 years, and we likely fold.



bigCasu
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 433 times
Contact:

Re: MBB: UTA @ AppState 2:30 PM HCC

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:48 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:37 pm
Do you think he is the best person to trying to beat the press? I ask, not a loaded question.

Granted some of us don't live in Boone and get to go to every sporting event on campus, so I confess I'm not always paying attention. I would certainly defer to those who see the games first hand.

I do see where he is shooting 50% from the line in our last four games, so maybe Williams 57% isn't such a poor choice. Also, Williams has better assist to turnover ratio. My hope is at some point Ronshad will come thru with a big bucket or foul shot to win a game and Fox's faith in him will be vindicated.

The other question I have is, do we put too much responsibility on his shoulders? We expect him to handle the ball and lead the team in scoring. I understand he is our most dynamic player but I wonder if we expect him to carry too much of the load.
I do believe Ronshad should be considered a primary ball handler to beat the press. The other options are Williams and Forrest, and they are both playing their first year of D1 ball. Shabazz has two years under his belt.

It is definitely a fair question as to whether too much is being put on his shoulders, but this decision to have him play point, and on the ball versus away from it, came with the likelihood that there would be some growing pains. We are short on ball handlers as it is, and I'm not one to think you can just experiment as you go. You see what players do well in practice, and you take that to the games.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 22 users online :: 0 registered, 1 hidden and 21 guests

    Most users ever online was 1049 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests