Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB: Georgia State@ APP

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB: Georgia State@ APP

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 am

Mediocrity achieved.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am

app97 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 am
Win or lose, ugly seems to be a recurring theme. I’m just hoping we can get out of jeckyll and Hyde mode and find an identity
I hope I'm wrong, however, I just don't see that happening. This has been a recurring theme for years and it's not going to change with a flick of a switch.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 am

In contrast to the women's team, the men's team looks more like 5 individual players on the court without a sense of how the 5 of them are supposed to function as a unit. The women's team plays more like a team.

I don't get to see much basketball because of tax season, so my comments are based just on yesterday's games. There was much more "selfish" play in the men's game - less passing, more forcing of drives, etc. What I don't have a sense of is how much of that is a result of coaching and how much is the players natural tendencies. In the end, I suppose, it all comes down to coaching. I'll get to see a few more games this year and will be interested in comparing styles as the season rolls along.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:51 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 am
In contrast to the women's team, the men's team looks more like 5 individual players on the court without a sense of how the 5 of them are supposed to function as a unit. The women's team plays more like a team.

I don't get to see much basketball because of tax season, so my comments are based just on yesterday's games. There was much more "selfish" play in the men's game - less passing, more forcing of drives, etc. What I don't have a sense of is how much of that is a result of coaching and how much is the players natural tendencies. In the end, I suppose, it all comes down to coaching. I'll get to see a few more games this year and will be interested in comparing styles as the season rolls along.
Thanks Coach

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Georgia State plays a zone defense with some really good athletes. We got shook early and it gave the Panthers all the momentum as they got to run out and get dunks and fast-break points. #15 is a blue chipper and probably the best player in the league. #30 had a monster game and he's not one of their best players.

It came down to missing threes. This team lives and dies by it and last night, they died. The App defense clamped down in the second half and gave the offense a chance, but it just didn't happen.

Forrest and Kinney have not played well this month.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:12 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 pm
Georgia State plays a zone defense with some really good athletes. We got shook early and it gave the Panthers all the momentum as they got to run out and get dunks and fast-break points. #15 is a blue chipper and probably the best player in the league. #30 had a monster game and he's not one of their best players.

It came down to missing threes. This team lives and dies by it and last night, they died. The App defense clamped down in the second half and gave the offense a chance, but it just didn't happen.

Forrest and Kinney have not played well this month.
all true, but it's the first time they've beaten us in Boone since we joined the sunbelt. Somehow we've handled them in the past with less talent, even when they had RJ Hunter and several other talented players. My problem with Ga State is that they seem to talk alot of trash and come across as cocky/smug....not sure if that was the case last night

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:23 am

Yeah I was at this game and I jokingly told my friends from the start I wasn't feeling good about this one. You could just tell watching warm ups Georgia St had more talent. Not only did they have more talent, they seem to be very well coached. Their defense was smothering. Yes we had some careless turnovers but I also have to at least partially credit Georgia State's defensive effort for that. Shabazz could not get a good look for anything. There's really no excuse for Georgia State to ever not be a top 3 team in the conference in bball.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:23 am
Yeah I was at this game and I jokingly told my friends from the start I wasn't feeling good about this one. You could just tell watching warm ups Georgia St had more talent. Not only did they have more talent, they seem to be very well coached. Their defense was smothering. Yes we had some careless turnovers but I also have to at least partially credit Georgia State's defensive effort for that. Shabazz could not get a good look for anything. There's really no excuse for Georgia State to ever not be a top 3 team in the conference in bball.

Exactly. And they’ve only made the ncaa tourney once since we joined the belt, and they made it past the first round. We beat that team in Boone. They rarely end up as one of the top 2 or 3 belt teams, though, which makes me question the coaching.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:23 am

Exactly. And they’ve only made the ncaa tourney once since we joined the belt, and they made it past the first round. We beat that team in Boone. They rarely end up as one of the top 2 or 3 belt teams, though, which makes me question the coaching.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”