Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB: GaSou @ App State 3:30 PM HCC

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB: GaSou @ App State 3:30 PM HCC

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 am

3rd wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 pm
Have you seen the officiating at our level? He’s not getting a foul call. Forest got fouled bring the ball up in the back court and it wasn’t called. There is a lot of things to complain about but our 2nd best shooter taking a wide open 3 with 3 sec. left is not one of them. He was also on the right side of the floor he’s a lefty that can’t use in right in traffic and you want him to drive with 3 sec left into traffic and try and finish with contact? Which very few at our level can truly finish with contact.... okay
Stonewall wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:07 pm
He took the easy , undisciplined way out. Drive and he likely draws a foul and a much higher percentage shot. It's the same play that failed on other occasions this year,that's my concern .We don't learn , we don't get better. Let's face it we have no reason at this point to expect better. We will continue to jack threes and hope for the best. This is unacceptable especially when you look at the women. Slammed by adversity but climbing nonetheless.
Yes. I've been observing officiating at this level for decades. It's another ,in a long line of excuses ,for not executing , and losing. Did he make the shot? How about at JMU? At Western? Three games we gave away now doing the same thing. Putting him in the position to make the play is poor coaching , it's proven itself not to work,again. Right side? See the above. Regardless ,he had a lane and time to drive only behind one point ,that's the play.If you get a call great , if not it's not on you. Of course had we not blown a double digit lead....

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:33 am

Maybe the Delph kid from KM will replace Shabazz, he is averaging over 20 per game with several over 30.
Bring Your A Game!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 am

Someone needs to dig up the preseason predictions for this team. Looking at the remaining conference games. Of course nothing is a given but based on records there are a lot of what should be wins remaining- two each with Ark St, Little Rock and Coastal who are the cellar dwellers. Troy and South Alabama are right there with us. As “bad” as many perceive this team to be the chance to run off a bunch of wins is there. A top 5 or 6 wouldn’t be horrible based on where we have been.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:48 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 am
Someone needs to dig up the preseason predictions for this team. Looking at the remaining conference games. Of course nothing is a given but based on records there are a lot of what should be wins remaining- two each with Ark St, Little Rock and Coastal who are the cellar dwellers. Troy and South Alabama are right there with us. As “bad” as many perceive this team to be the chance to run off a bunch of wins is there. A top 5 or 6 wouldn’t be horrible based on where we have been.
Yep. Helps to keep it in perspective. A year ago, many posters on this forum were saying that Fox would need the full 5 years of his contract to even get the program on track after the mess he inherited. On track might just mean progress. We’ve seen some progress, considering one more win ties the number wins we had all of last year. I agree that the schedule appears favorable. We need to beat the beatable teams. I think lots of the frustration is that we could very easily be 11-8 or 12-7 right now.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 am
Make or break year 2018-2019
What would qualify as “making it”? NCAA tourney, NIT, CBI, 20 wins, winning the sunbelt tourney, .500 record? Just curious.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:05 pm

To me making it is a top 4 finish in the Belt next year and being competitive for the conference title.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Improvement in tangible facets of the game year to year , game to game. The record would take care of itself. I'm not optimistic.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:38 pm

In the past we have won conference tournaments and regular season championships. We won the Puerto Rico tournament against a strong field. We have made the NCAA tournament, the NIT, and the CBI. We have beaten teams from several major conferences and this was all done under several different coaches. The obvious question is why are we unable to duplicate any of this success now? We NEED a basketball program that the students, alumni, and friends of the university can be proud of and get behind. Go App!

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:48 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:38 pm
In the past we have won conference tournaments and regular season championships. We won the Puerto Rico tournament against a strong field. We have made the NCAA tournament, the NIT, and the CBI. We have beaten teams from several major conferences and this was all done under several different coaches. The obvious question is why are we unable to duplicate any of this success now? We NEED a basketball program that the students, alumni, and friends of the university can be proud of and get behind. Go App!
We beat Va Tech in one of Fox’s first games as our coach, and beat Davidson easily this year. They are currently in 2nd place in a really good Atlantic 10. Oh, and manhandled a UT Arlington team who was supposed to win our conference and was getting votes for the top 25. The overall success, as far as wins that we would like to see, is not there yet, but Fox’s teams play hard every night and everything seems to be handled off the court, possibly better than any coach we’ve had. I want to see an awesome b-ball program as well, just helps to think about some of the small successes we’ve had, even if we’re not consistent. It’s a glass half full kind of day for me I suppose.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm

appfanjj wrote:
We’ve won exactly 2 conference tournaments in the last 40+ years

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:25 am

appfanjj wrote:
You're acting like making the tournament and wining conference titles was commonplace. Our freshmen were fresh out of the womb the last time we played in March Madness.

Getting after football for not beating a P5 in 10 years is fine when they've shown that they have what it takes to win 10+ games, take home a conference title and compete in those games. Holding a still rebuilding basketball program that was left in shambles to that same standard just doesn't make any sense.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:49 am

NO.2 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:25 am
appfanjj wrote:
You're acting like making the tournament and wining conference titles was commonplace. Our freshmen were fresh out of the womb the last time we played in March Madness.

Getting after football for not beating a P5 in 10 years is fine when they've shown that they have what it takes to win 10+ games, take home a conference title and compete in those games. Holding a still rebuilding basketball program that was left in shambles to that same standard just doesn't make any sense.
Completely agree. Should our programs like hoops and baseball be conference doormats? Hell no! But do we have some storied past in either sport? No not at all. The schedule is very much in our favor. Grab the low hanging fruit, get to .500, make some noise in the conference tournament and build for a title run next year.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 am

I'd like to see us beat Western.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 am
I'd like to see us beat Western.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 am

We don't have a great basketball tradition at App (but some coaches have managed to win consistently) and Fox did inherit an off the court mess (how much longer does that excuse work?). Those are true statements. The question is, what are reasonable expectations for a program in a coach's fourth year on the job? What will satisfy you? At what point do you think we turn in a different direction?

I don't think it unreasonable to expect a program to reach .500 status in a coach's fourth year on the job. It is fully his team now and I don't think it unfair to expect some modicum of success. If this team could reach .500 status (talking overall) I would think one could believe that progress has been made. Frankly, short of that, I will be disappointed.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 am

Honestly I have basically tuned out App MBB due to the total lack of success. I avidly follow and attend football for last 35+ yrs but just can't get excited about basketball because of our terrible year over year performance. That is why I rarely post about MBB.

The question many have posed is what is an acceptable program? We definitely need clean off-court behavior and good grades from athletes but we have to have some on-court bar of success beyond a .500 team. I hear all the "we are a football school" and every other excuse thrown out but don't buy any of it. There is no reason why our school cannot have success in the SB. To me that would be annually contending for the SB title with regular trips to the NCAA and winning some years in the NCAA tournament.

I had hoped Fox would be a good hire and have really pulled for him to be successful. Everything looked good on paper with him as opposed to some previous hires. I know he inherited a big mess BUT in year 4 we need to see some significant progress. The guy has to either turn the corner and show success or we have to realize it isn't working. By the end of year 4 you should have enough evidence to make a call. I still hope he pulls it out but it isn't looking very good at this point. Am I wrong or unreasonable?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:11 am

This is how I feel.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:04 pm
Why did he not drive to the basket with three seconds?
No ref ever calls a foul on late game drives to the basket, at least not in the Sun Belt. The best shot is a jump shot. We can argue whether that should be a three or not. Also, we shot early, and nobody ever boxes out in those situations. Forrest got the board, but just couldn't finish. The final possession went exactly how we expected, we just didn't finish the play.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:26 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 am
Am I wrong or unreasonable?
maybe, considering the state of our program 4 years ago. In other situations, maybe not...

App-Fan-1990

Unread post by App-Fan-1990 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:30 pm

I always wonder what new & creative way we'll find to lose to a bad team. I'm out! Can't take this anymore Coach FOX! No more watching, no more home games for me. I'm doooonnnnneeeee.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”