Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Fox

MountaineerChemist10
School: Appalachian State

Fox

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 am

Think Fox will be gone by the end of the season?

BUTCH1991

Re: Fox

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:31 am

NO

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 am

Depends on the finish and if people are willing to pony up the money to buy him out.

Right now we are closer to "don't know how to finish" than "so close to turning the corner".

Maybe Kerr will have a opening on his staff and Curry and do some lobbying.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am

While we are all anxious to win, it might be worthwhile to remember that Coach K did not have a winning CONFERENCE season at Duke until his 5th year when they went 8-6.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:51 am

Fox will get next year barring a major donor stepping forward and us downward spiralling out of control the rest of the season.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 am

I'd convince any donor that the money to buy Fox out would be better spent on something else.....also as bad as it is, I want to see our two transfers on the court next year and then I'll wither be happy or totally done

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 am

I think we will be a better TEAM next year

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 am

I understand people calling for his job I guess. We all want a competitive team, but let's ask ourselves this question: if we move on from Fox who is taking the job? In no way shape or form is our program any kind of attractive.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 pm

I think the next hire will follow the mold of Kermit (D2 HC with a proven track record) instead of a current D1 assistant.

1 thing to keep in mind is that Doug didn't hire Fox. Not that it matters but it is a valid point.

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:15 pm

I dont think he will be back next year if he doesn't find a way to finish .500 in conference play. I believe 9-9 in Sunbelt play should be minimum. But its looking less and less likely. Of course we do have 2 home games coming up...maybe there is still a run left in this team...if we can finish the weekend sitting at 5-5 in conference play, i think there's a chance to salvaging the season

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:32 pm

To me it just makes too much sense to let him finish his contract based on Somewhat of a Profit/Loss statement:

Paying for the buyout- with all of the other goals, who's going to fund That?
Paying for a higher quality coach - if we assume he's not good enough,we'd have to also assume we'd have to spend more to get a"better" coach
Someone signed him to this contract of this term for a reason- I imagine he said it will take X amount of time to turn it around and we agreed
The team-next years team will be the most upperclassmen we've had in awhile and we have some exciting transfers
Next years results-I'm not sure for next year bringing in a new coach would create better results automatically versus what he would do with "his" team
Finally he has done well in the classroom and bringing in good kids and there has been a slow slow steady increase in results on the court

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:54 pm

>Finally he has done well in the classroom and bringing in good kids

I would like to see wins, but this is huge in my book.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:51 am
Fox will get next year barring a major donor stepping forward and us downward spiralling out of control the rest of the season.
So.....the current trajectory?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Can we go back to SoCon for basketball? We'd be at least 6th or 7th in that conference

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:22 pm
Can we go back to SoCon for basketball? We'd be at least 6th or 7th in that conference
Sixth or seventh in a 10 team conference v. 8th in a 12 team conference. Not much difference.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:45 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:51 am
So.....the current trajectory?
Correct I'm talking a 6-12 finish or worse. Which with the easy conference schedule we have this year is bad.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:59 pm

I don't want Fox to get fired, because that's an admission of failure. It's never fun to fail.

If he doesn't win a game the rest of the season, it's time to go. Same with going 1-9/2-8 down the stretch (including the Sun Belt Tournament).

This team is in a much better position than it was four years ago, but that doesn't mean he's the right coach for the next four years.

Fox has said he wants his team to peak in February. He's got his chance.

CharleyHustle

Unread post by CharleyHustle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:31 pm

Coach Fox is a very good coach, and his teams have improved each year of his tenure. All good coaches have one basic thing in common...they have good players. Good players are recruited by the coach and his staff as well as the fans and community. How many good football players would be recruited by ASU if they attended a recruiting visit with 10,000 fans in the stands who basically sat on their hands during the game and then went home. I don't live very close to Boone, but I attend most home games and some road games in state. When I am at a game in Boone, I can't help but wonder where several thousand students are spending their time on game days while a few hundred come to the Holmes Center to support the Mountaineers. How many good basketball players or good basketball coaches want to play in a quiet gym with a few hundred fans in the stands? I would love to see the Mountaineers play competitive, championship basketball. As in football, it takes good coaches, good players, and support from the administration, students, and the community to establish a winning program. ASU basketball is not there yet. They are closer than in previous years. But we are falling short in many areas that are within our control. To blame it all on Coach Fox is simplistic, and wrong.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 pm

[attachment=0]800px-Buzz_Peterson_2012.jpg[/attachment]

Hi,

I am Buzz. Jordan is talking about trading Kemba and my time with the Hornets is slowly approaching my tolerable 4 year limit. I know we didn't end on the greatest of terms, and you all hate me but I swear I am a changed man. Since my last quick exit from Boone, I have watched a lot of Pulp Fiction, and now have the balls to tell my bitch to be cool. I can't guarantee you anything beyond 4 years, but I can work with Mike to bring Jordan brand to App and retire the ugly ass black uniforms. They say the third time's a charm, and I feel confident that with Capel as an assistant, together we can get the program back to where it was before he ran it into the ground.

Hopeful Appy State Coach,

The Buzz
Attachments
800px-Buzz_Peterson_2012.jpg
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 pm

CharleyHustle wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:31 pm
Coach Fox is a very good coach, and his teams have improved each year of his tenure. All good coaches have one basic thing in common...they have good players. Good players are recruited by the coach and his staff as well as the fans and community. How many good football players would be recruited by ASU if they attended a recruiting visit with 10,000 fans in the stands who basically sat on their hands during the game and then went home. I don't live very close to Boone, but I attend most home games and some road games in state. When I am at a game in Boone, I can't help but wonder where several thousand students are spending their time on game days while a few hundred come to the Holmes Center to support the Mountaineers. How many good basketball players or good basketball coaches want to play in a quiet gym with a few hundred fans in the stands? I would love to see the Mountaineers play competitive, championship basketball. As in football, it takes good coaches, good players, and support from the administration, students, and the community to establish a winning program. ASU basketball is not there yet. They are closer than in previous years. But we are falling short in many areas that are within our control. To blame it all on Coach Fox is simplistic, and wrong.
THIS!!!!!!!

Enough with the schizophrenic responses to our basketball team. Get on board and support OUR COACH & OUR TEAM!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”