Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Tony Searcy

scatman77

Tony Searcy

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:50 pm

For those of us who were around during the Cremins era you know his name and who he is. Unfortunately Tony had a stroke 1/27/18 and is currently recovering at Duke Medical Center. He is in good spirits and very coherent. He will be having rehab at Wake Forest Medical Center.

Please keep T-Bone, wife Paige, and the rest of his family in your prayers as he works his way through rehab and recovery.

For those who do not recognize him, Tony led the nation in rebounding his senior year with a 12.7 rpg average.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

eggers76
School: Appalachian State

Re: Tony Searcy

Unread post by eggers76 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Prayers for T-bone. A great player and person. He sure could patrol the boards for a rebound.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 pm

That was a great team and entertaining to watch. Get well soon, Tony.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:30 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:50 pm
For those of us who were around during the Cremins era you know his name and who he is. Unfortunately Tony had a stroke 1/27/18 and is currently recovering at Duke Medical Center. He is in good spirits and very coherent. He will be having rehab at Wake Forest Medical Center.

Please keep T-Bone, wife Paige, and the rest of his family in your prayers as he works his way through rehab and recovery.

For those who do not recognize him, Tony led the nation in rebounding his senior year with a 12.7 rpg average.
Any updates, Mike?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Per Nate Ross and Kevin Cantwell: he’s doing OK but recovery will be long. Left side is paralyzed. He is currently in Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem. That’s his son Payton along with Kevin.
42D670F2-4580-46E9-9B93-1CCEFCE385F2.jpeg

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 am

T-Bone was a great player, but he is a wonderful person. I always refer to him as the "Gentle Giant." Wishing you a speedy recovery buddy!!!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Good evening all. I received an email update from Tony this afternoon and I've included it below. TBone is a battler and is making great strides!

"I'm doing well with physical therapy which zI take 3 days a week. I'm walking with a cane and Paige beside me because I'm not comfortable yet walking by myself. My left hand and arm still has a ways to go before it starts responding. I'm still encouraged and motivated to work hard. It's amazing what the brain, nerves and muscles will do when working together and what they won't do when they're not in agreement with one another. God is so amazing when you think about how He created us. It is great to be alive thinking correctly for the most part and able to communicate. I have an uncle who had a stroke 4 years ago and I still can't understand any thing he says. So I'm truly Blessed in that regard. Keep me in your prayers because I need and appreciate them everyday of my life. God has been so good to me! Take care my brother.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Thank you. Very good news.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for sharing. Tony is a true gentleman and was a warrior on the court. Still on my Prayer List.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks for the updates and glad to hear the news is good!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Scat, check that stat. 12.7. I remember 15.7 for some reason. T Bone is as good as they come.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:48 am

Glad to see Tony is doing well. He appears to be attacking his recovery the same way he attacked the boards on court. Good luck Tony, your can do it!!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:50 am

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 pm
Scat, check that stat. 12.7. I remember 15.7 for some reason. T Bone is as good as they come.
I'll weigh in on Scat's behalf, being a bit of a junkie on this stuff all my life. According to the Mountaineer MBB Record Book, Tony's average as a senior was actually 12.8 rpg. Scat was off by a mere one-tenth of one percent. ;) I suspect he has something in print somewhere that includes that 12.7 stat.

Tony, BTW, holds the ASU all-time record for rebounds in a single season--grabbing 359 in 77-78. He's tied with Larry Dudas for the ASU all-time record for rebounds in a single game...24. Tony got his 24 versus High Point on 2.20.78. Tony ranks fifth in school history for career rebounds--averaging 9.7 boards over his two seasons with the Apps. As previously mentioned, Tony grabbed a season average of 12.8 in 77-78. That's good for seventh place in ASU history.

One can only imagine what his numbers would look like if he had played four seasons for App. He was, as most fans from that era know, a JuCo transfer from Surry CC.

Source: https://appstatesports.com/documents/20 ... _Book_.pdf
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:35 am

Allow me one final comment about our friend, Tony. Literally everything he did back in the day as a student-athlete, as a graduate student and a bit later as an ASU assistant MBB coach, he did with great enthusiasm and with what I'd call UMMMPH! On the court, Tony simply owned the boards at both ends of the court. He had graceful and powerful leaping ability and he competed for every loose ball. If he couldn't get possession, he was using his body to block the opposition and tap the ball to a teammate. On offense, Tony was money. He had a deadly jumper from around 15 feet and inside of 15 feet, you could expect a thunder-dunk--executed with great enthusiasm. And opposing players typically didn't get in his path to the basket but once. He was not shy about collisions.

Later and over the years, Tony turned that enthusism into his work in student development at Surry CC. His reputation in that field of work grew year-by-year until his promotion to VP for Student Development--a position he held until his retirement. That retirement lasted about six months--until he was invited to return to his work on a part-time basis--and return he did.

There can be no doubt that Tony's working on his stroke rehab with his typical great enthusiasm. He'll be back in full stride long before his physicians think he can.
Last edited by asu66 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:35 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:35 am
Allow me one final comment about our friend, Tony. Literally everything he did back in the day as a student-athlete, as a graduate student and a bit later as an ASU assistant MBB coach, he did with great enthusiasm and with what I'd call UMMMPH! On the court, Tony simply owned the boards at both ends of the court. He had graceful and powerful leaping ability and he competed for every loose ball. If he couldn't get possession, he was using his body to block the opposition and tap the ball to a teammate. On offense, Tony was money. He had a deadly jumper from around 15 feet and inside of 15 feet, you could expect a thunder-dunk--executed with great enthusiasm. And opposing players typically didn't get in his path to the basket but once. H.e was not shy about collisions.

Later and over the years, Tony turned that enthusism into his work in student development at Surry CC. His reputation in that field of work grew year-by-year until his promotion to VP for Student Development--a position he held until his retirement. That retirement lasted about six months--until he was invited to return to his work on a part-time basis--and return he did.

There can be no doubt that Tony's working on his stroke rehab with his typical great enthusiasm. He'll be back in full stride long before his physicians think he can.
He also was a fine basketball coach at Surry CC and he helped me when I was selling supplemental group health for Colonial.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:24 pm

I got an update from Tony tonight:
“Doing great. Had therapy today. They worked me like an ole pack mule. I’m progressing but it’s never as fast as one would like. I know that I m blessed because I can think and speak. I come into contact with stroke victims every time I go to therapy. Some had a stroke over a year ago and can’t speak. Even though I can’t use my left hand yet or walk without a cane, I can think an talk to people which is a tremendous blessing. I know you will enjoy your grand child.”

Bone is a battler; he’ll be back in rare form soon!

ELCubano1

Unread post by ELCubano1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:50 pm

I'm just seeing this post for the first time. I remember Tony Searcy well during the Bobby Cremins era playing at Varsity Gym. I never missed a game. I was and I still am too much of a diehard not to be an App fan..."Tony, I pray and sincerely hope you make a full recovery. I was once partially paralyzed on my left side, but regained sensitivity about a year later. You were a warrior on the basketball court and I'm sure your warrior spirit is still with you. Staying positive, humble and grateful are admirable qualities and important to have in your recovery. God bless you Tony Searcy...!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”