Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

TONIGHT BB GAME

T-Dog

Re: TONIGHT BB GAME

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:46 am

I saw a team tonight that collectively, their first movement with the ball was to hesitate.

We're close. But you can fall flat right before the finish line.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:50 am

Kudos to the women. They played a good USA team that plays a defensive-minded game and they were clutch when they absolutely needed to be, even if it was bowling-shoe ugly (16 App points in the second half!). They're close to turning the corner next season if everyone comes back.

Hope Angel doesn't pull out the hair she's grown back due to situational FT shooting.

appknowledgeispower
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appknowledgeispower » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am

2002–03 Appalachian State 19–10 11–5 T–1st (North)
2004–05 Appalachian State 18–12 9–7 T–2nd (North)
2006–07 Appalachian State 25–8 15–3 1st (North) NIT 1st Round
2007–08 Appalachian State 18–13 13–7 T–1st (North)

Under Houston Fancher 4 of 9 years. He ran a clean program, student-athletes were well respected young men, and he did more with what he was not given to have success. If he had a DOBO and/or Video Coordinator, higher staff salaries, and higher budget (as it was pathetically embarrassing while in the SOCON) the ceiling would have been higher. The majority of posters on this board are completely clueless and don't understand all of the aspects of a collegiate basketball program. He and his great staff recruited and created a culture of family and accountability. It is not a coincidence that the majority of his staff members are having great success- Matt McMahon (HC at Murray State) WHO SHOULD STILL BE THE COACH AT APP AT SOME POINT, Ahmad Smith (Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Charleston Southern), Richard Morgan (Head Coach at Bluefield College)....not to mention the slew of student-assistants that have gone on to work as High School coaches, College coaches, trainers, and collegiate strength coaches, and THE COUNTLESS PLAYERS PLAYING PRO BALL OR HAVING SUCCESSFUL CAREERS IN VARIOUS FIELDS.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:26 am

appknowledgeispower wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am
2002–03 Appalachian State 19–10 11–5 T–1st (North)
2004–05 Appalachian State 18–12 9–7 T–2nd (North)
2006–07 Appalachian State 25–8 15–3 1st (North) NIT 1st Round
2007–08 Appalachian State 18–13 13–7 T–1st (North)

Under Houston Fancher 4 of 9 years. He ran a clean program, student-athletes were well respected young men, and he did more with what he was not given to have success. If he had a DOBO and/or Video Coordinator, higher staff salaries, and higher budget (as it was pathetically embarrassing while in the SOCON) the ceiling would have been higher. The majority of posters on this board are completely clueless and don't understand all of the aspects of a collegiate basketball program. He and his great staff recruited and created a culture of family and accountability. It is not a coincidence that the majority of his staff members are having great success- Matt McMahon (HC at Murray State) WHO SHOULD STILL BE THE COACH AT APP AT SOME POINT, Ahmad Smith (Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Charleston Southern), Richard Morgan (Head Coach at Bluefield College)....not to mention the slew of student-assistants that have gone on to work as High School coaches, College coaches, trainers, and collegiate strength coaches, and THE COUNTLESS PLAYERS PLAYING PRO BALL OR HAVING SUCCESSFUL CAREERS IN VARIOUS FIELDS.
Que Barbara Striesand ?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 am

Without Cobb McMahon may be our coach right now. That is painful to think about the last 8 years.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 am

There’s no debate that Cobb screwed up the hiring and termination processes during his tenure. The number of choices he got right could be count on one hand...that’s not my point in any of my posts.

My opinion: I believe that Fox is the right person for App right now and I believe he has done a Herculean job and has more than earned his full contract AND a renewal.

But my frustration: “fans” who come on here and rip OUR coaches and OUR players during the season following each loss. You’re not living in reality! You talk like 10 cent millionaires & GaSo football fans! ...Sorry, not sorry!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am

Wow thin skinned and questioning peoples fandom, great post...

I've seen people (fans that bleed black and gold) that I've known for years bring up the FACT that every time App basketball gains momentum, runs a promotion to get fans to show up to games, they lay an egg. This isn't just a Fox or the 2018 team issue, this is a decade or two issue.

It's ok to have a discussion about it, which has been very reasonable and tone very appropriate for the circumstance IMO.

Those that are pointing this out would LOVE nothing more than to see Fox and team succeed and have a great run to finish in the top half of a much stronger conference than the SoCon was, and win a couple games in the conference tournament. Best of luck these last couple of weeks guys!

appknowledgeispower

Unread post by appknowledgeispower » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 am
Without Cobb McMahon may be our coach right now. That is painful to think about the last 8 years.
Cobb had chances to get it right, no disrespect to Coach Fox, as I hope he does well. He at least gets along with those in the community and has made attempts to connect with many. Previous regime, not at all.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:37 am

Boone Goon wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 am
There’s no debate that Cobb screwed up the hiring and termination processes during his tenure. The number of choices he got right could be count on one hand...that’s not my point in any of my posts.

My opinion: I believe that Fox is the right person for App right now and I believe he has done a Herculean job and has more than earned his full contract AND a renewal.

But my frustration: “fans” who come on here and rip OUR coaches and OUR players during the season following each loss. You’re not living in reality! You talk like 10 cent millionaires & GaSo football fans! ...Sorry, not sorry!
Right this moment:
Earned the Last Year - Yes
Extension - Not unless we get to at least the semis, even then, a 1 year, 2 year max.

We have the talent, It is between the ears that we are having problems with, and that is on the coach.

I'll put it like this, been a App Basketball fan since 99. Maybe from then till 2016 I missed 10 home games.
Right now, I am no longer invested in the program, due to what has been happening. I have missed more games this season than the first 16 years. I am just not excited for the team and culture and I can be disappointed just as much in front of the Roku. I do miss the Woodlands in the HCC.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:49 pm

I want Jim Fox to succeed. I want our student athletes to succeed on, and off the court .Winning more games than we lose is not too much to expect , at least most seasons. Making a run at a Sunbelt title and NCAA bid every few years is not too much to expect. Bluntly speaking I want to look forward to basketball season like I do football , not with the same expectations of success, but with those I list above which I think are reasonable .If that's wrong of me , so be it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”