Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

next basketball coach

Kgfish
School: Appalachian State

Re: next basketball coach

Unread post by Kgfish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:26 am

cbarrier90 wrote:It is going to be a very long season, and threads like these aren't going to make life any better. I mean, we won today, for crying out loud. Let's let it all play out first.

Oh, and to answer the question: Matt McMahon.
As long a CC is here Matt will not be back. ASU had their shot at him and Cobb blew it.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:05 am

Something to think about. If or when we move to another conference, the level of competition increases. That's true with any conference we could potentially become a member of. Things will only get worse. If we aren't highly competitive in the SoCon then we have bigger problems going forward.

ASUDieHard

Unread post by ASUDieHard » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:05 am

AppGrad78 wrote:Capel is in the third year of a four-year contract. As we've seen with one of our football coaches with a multi-year contract, we don't often buy out contracts early. I suspect those hoping we do it in this case will be disappointed.
Seems like the "well to do" alum who forced the fiasco on us would man up and buy out the remaining year!

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:27 am

Seattleapp wrote:It is no crusade and no offense, but being a fan since 2009 doesn't really give much of a point of reference. And saying that our team is bad and our coach is competely over his head is not "hoping for vindication." Capel should never have been hired. If he was a diamond in the rough, no one on this board, myself included would say anything. But we are goin in the opposite direction. And I'll say it again. The So Con is awful this year. we have 3 teams with a winning record and we are root root rooting for a middle of the pack finish. I will continue this "Crusade" as long as we continue to be happy about only seven point losses and maybe we can get up to four games under .500. We absolutely should demand to have a real coach for our basketball program. Yes I wish Buzz would have worked out. He didn't, but why do we have to settle for a novice so far in the other direction?
Nobody is happy about losing or needing a win to get to 4-8. However, Capel is under contract until 2014 and complaining about the hire is crying over spilled milk at this point. After next season, he will be evaluated and unless there is a significant improvement, he will not be extended and a search for his replacement will begin.

In the meantime, it is completely counterproductive for our fans to spend the next year and a half publicly calling for his head. Our basketball "fan base" trying to put the coach on the hot seat when we all know he will finish out his contract can only have a negative impact on recruiting and fan support.

If we make an effort and go out to the games, it will make Appalachian a more desirable destination to play and coach. Hell, maybe the team will even feed off of it and play better when their shoes squeaking on the court isn't the loudest sound in the Holmes Center. Being demanding in regards to the performance of our basketball team is great but it is about time we demand something from ourselves as basketball fans as well.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:40 am

hapapp wrote:But they're 0-3 against teams from a lesser conference. Before yesterday ODU had won one game and even lost by double digits to Charleston of the SoCon. They are also 0-2 v. teams from the Commonwealth. The difference between UVA and ASU is that once we get into conference play, we are likely to fare better than we have to date. UVA on the other hand will likely see their fortunes go in the opposite direction.

In all seriousness, if we did have Tony at the helm we would likely see a more disciplined team than we put on the floor now. Tony's challenge will be his ability to recruit to compete in the ACC. And yes he is an upgrade from Leiteo.
Very good points. I think the Apps will continue to improve this year. We need to support them and current coach and see how it goes thru next year. I too think we will do better in the SOCON compared to UVA in ACC this year.
Give Em Hell!!

Appersrule

Unread post by Appersrule » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:02 pm

I love the double standard being applied here. If this was the football program, pitch forks and torches would be out in full force over Capel. Many people would be pulling support. Now the fact that it is basketball, everyone is like its okay, put up with what we have, its the fans fault cause they don't show up. News flash, no one will show up to watch that shit. I have only missed one home game all year, and I don't understand how they get as many folks to come as they do. There was no energy, no excitement, just a lull boring day of basketball yesterday between 2 of the worst teams in D1 basketball. Stop blaming the fan base for not showing up and calling for an incompetent coach to see the end of his tenure.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:38 pm

As I said earlier I thought he had a 3 year contact not a 4 year.

But, to the all the people complaining about speculation....guys, this is an internet fan forum. 80% of what is on sites like these is speculation, sometimes about things that are 2, 4, 8, 10 years down the road. If you don't like people speculating about things might I suggest you avoid any sports forum on the internet.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:06 pm

My intent was not to blame the fans but state that it is out of our control. Capel is here until 2014 whether we like it or not. It is the kids on the team who need our support, not Coach Capel.

Plus, the idea that our fans don't show up because Capel has done such a poor job would hold a lot more water if our fans showed up when we were good. In Buzz's one season back in 2010, we won 24 games, were 5 points away from an NCAA tournament berth and still only drew 2,000 per home game. When a successful season gets the Holmes Center just under 25% full, do the fans deserve no criticism?

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Im glad someone else said it. I have been a well known football cheerleader on this board. Because I feel like our football leash is waaaaay to0 short on this board. But having said that, our basketball lease is nonexistant. I playfully throw the UVA comparison out there. But the biggest difference is UVA has a talent gap compared to the other ACC schools yet with good coaching are competitive. App has, especially the last couple years, as much talent as anyone in the conference. But until we realize that we need a coach to actually coach we are spinning our wheels. Last year we were stacked and we played terribly on both ends of the court. We never got any better and after we wished in that first round win, we promptly came back to earth and laid an egg the second round. This year we have three wins. Two of which were to Montreat and Presbyterian. I think we will pull some more wins this year adn I will be happy each time we do win, but we must commit to the program and this idea that if we were selling out HCCwe would be a better team is ridiculous. We have amazing football attendance because we started winning consistently. I know it sucks, but it is the culture.

BraceYosef

Unread post by BraceYosef » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:27 pm

:| :| :| :|
Last edited by BraceYosef on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Hopefully we can put some wins together because after the road game at Wofford, we have 3 Saturday afternoon home conference games against in-state opponents over a 4-week span with Elon, Davidson and Western visiting the HCC. Would be nice to see a good turnout for those, especially if we plan to host some recruits.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”