Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

next basketball coach

appdaze

next basketball coach

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:18 pm

The other threads were long dead and I didn't feel like bumping them.
Seattle asked in the Presby thread who we should have as the next coach.

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-bas ... yan00.html

This is who gets my vote for the next coach. He is young, has a lot of NC roots. He is also a hardcore fundamentals kind of coach which is why Barnes brought him in to the Texas staff as well as the LR connection. I saw the LR teams that his dad "coached" in the mid 2000's and what was really happening was that Bryan was actually doing most of the coaching. Those were some well run teams. I think he could do a good job at App and bring our program back out of the depths. He has 12 years of experience around these programs.

TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

Re: next basketball coach

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:57 pm

I don't see any reason to speculate on this until the current guy is gone. :roll:

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Sounds great

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:21 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:I don't see any reason to speculate on this until the current guy is gone. :roll:

Capel is 32-41 overall and 3-8 this year. He is gone. This is his contract year if I am not mistaken so hopefully he won't be renewed and we can get a quality guy like Lentz in here.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Capel is in the third year of a four-year contract. As we've seen with one of our football coaches with a multi-year contract, we don't often buy out contracts early. I suspect those hoping we do it in this case will be disappointed.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Ok then. Who is going to be our coach in 2014? #Don'trenewCapel

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:59 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:Capel is in the third year of a four-year contract. As we've seen with one of our football coaches with a multi-year contract, we don't often buy out contracts early. I suspect those hoping we do it in this case will be disappointed.
Ahh ok I was thinking it was a three year contract, I forgot it was four.

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:15 am

It is going to be a very long season, and threads like these aren't going to make life any better. I mean, we won today, for crying out loud. Let's let it all play out first.

Oh, and to answer the question: Matt McMahon.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:25 am

We are not good. We are hoping we can beat Mulligan to get to 4-8 for conference play. That is what our outlook is reduced to?

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:16 am

Seattleapp wrote:We are not good. We are hoping we can beat Mulligan to get to 4-8 for conference
play. That is what our outlook is reduced to?
No one is trying to say we're any good, and yes, that's what our outlook is reduced to at the moment. This is Appalachian State basketball we're talking about. I've been here since 2009. I've been watching this downfall from game to game since the final buzzer sounded against Wofford in Charlotte and I left thinking "Wow! This is only Buzz's first year? This could really be something special!" It really is that bad. I hear Mark Few has a heckuva team this year up there in Spokane...

You've been on this crusade for months, and it's gonna take an act of God for Capel to keep his job at this point, but at least let it all play out first. It sucks, but I don't think there's any way Capel gets fired mid-season unless they feel there's someone on staff capable of being an interim (which, IMO, might be even worse.)

As awful as this team is, they could still reasonably finish in the middle-of-the-pack in the SoCon. The talent is there (and the conference is so awful) to at least have a chance to do that.

Back to back triple-digit-attended home games (878 tonight.) :lol: Folks, just think: You are witnesses to the low point in program history. It will get better, because it can't get worse.

AppStateNation

Unread post by AppStateNation » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:19 am

You gotta feel a little bad for Capel. Making anyone a head coach after 1 year as an assistant is just setting them up for failure.

I think he either gets fired right after this season ends or his contract just doesn't get renewed next season.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:29 am

This team has shown marked improvement since the disastrous start of the season. The team played much better in losses to Va Tech and East Carolina. Lost a close home game to Duquesne after a poor start. They played well enough to win on the road at Western and South Carolina. They have won two of their last 3 games. This team is probably not as bad as its record indicates.

That said, this team is a long way from being mistaken for a winning program. Unless things turn around, this will mark a third year in a row with the team's record on the decline. I do believe that we need a new person at the helm. However, speculating about the next coach does an injustice to both the team and Coach Capel. One gets the sense that some folks would like to see the misery continue so that Capel gets fired.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:24 am

Jason Capel will be here at least through the end of the 2014 season when his contract ends. We can either waste our energy calling for his head in the meantime or support the team we've got.

I do get the feeling that many of our fans would just as soon see ASU basketball fail so that they can watch Capel get fired and feel vindicated. He had no head coaching experience and just one season on the bench as an assistant. Hiring someone with such limited experience is setting them up for failure. He is learning on the fly.

As for this season, assuming that we do beat Milligan, that will make us 1-7 without Neal and 3-1 with him. Are we a very good team? No, but we are a better team than we were a few weeks ago.

Regardless of our struggles on the court, there is no damn excuse for a school with 17,000 students and over 100,000 living alumni to put 800 people in the stands for a home basketball game. We want a good, experienced men's head basketball coach at Appalachian and expect to attract one with that kind of 'support'? We've got to do our part as well.

I am as frustrated with the state of our program as anyone and at this point, Coach Capel has certainly not earned the opportunity to have his contract extended. I hope he succeeds but if not, the fans and alumni have to lend some support and showcase the potential of ASU basketball.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:26 pm

It is no crusade and no offense, but being a fan since 2009 doesn't really give much of a point of reference. And saying that our team is bad and our coach is competely over his head is not "hoping for vindication." Capel should never have been hired. If he was a diamond in the rough, no one on this board, myself included would say anything. But we are goin in the opposite direction. And I'll say it again. The So Con is awful this year. we have 3 teams with a winning record and we are root root rooting for a middle of the pack finish. I will continue this "Crusade" as long as we continue to be happy about only seven point losses and maybe we can get up to four games under .500. We absolutely should demand to have a real coach for our basketball program. Yes I wish Buzz would have worked out. He didn't, but why do we have to settle for a novice so far in the other direction?

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Seattleapp wrote:It is no crusade and no offense, but being a fan since 2009 doesn't really give much of a point of reference. And saying that our team is bad and our coach is competely over his head is not "hoping for vindication." Capel should never have been hired. If he was a diamond in the rough, no one on this board, myself included would say anything. But we are goin in the opposite direction. And I'll say it again. The So Con is awful this year. we have 3 teams with a winning record and we are root root rooting for a middle of the pack finish. I will continue this "Crusade" as long as we continue to be happy about only seven point losses and maybe we can get up to four games under .500. We absolutely should demand to have a real coach for our basketball program. Yes I wish Buzz would have worked out. He didn't, but why do we have to settle for a novice so far in the other direction?
Because it's what we've got and no amount of kvetching will change it.

Gonzaga is good this year...

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:42 pm

Seattleapp wrote:It is no crusade and no offense, but being a fan since 2009 doesn't really give much of a point of reference. And saying that our team is bad and our coach is competely over his head is not "hoping for vindication." Capel should never have been hired. If he was a diamond in the rough, no one on this board, myself included would say anything. But we are goin in the opposite direction. And I'll say it again. The So Con is awful this year. we have 3 teams with a winning record and we are root root rooting for a middle of the pack finish. I will continue this "Crusade" as long as we continue to be happy about only seven point losses and maybe we can get up to four games under .500. We absolutely should demand to have a real coach for our basketball program. Yes I wish Buzz would have worked out. He didn't, but why do we have to settle for a novice so far in the other direction?
I noticed UVA fell to 0-3 v. the CAA this season. Guess it's time to call for Tony's head! ;)

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:57 pm

What is their record this year? Did they make the NCAA tournament last year with 6 healthy players? Apples and oranges my man. But I sure wanted rid of Dave Leiteo when he was there.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:19 pm

But they're 0-3 against teams from a lesser conference. Before yesterday ODU had won one game and even lost by double digits to Charleston of the SoCon. They are also 0-2 v. teams from the Commonwealth. The difference between UVA and ASU is that once we get into conference play, we are likely to fare better than we have to date. UVA on the other hand will likely see their fortunes go in the opposite direction.

In all seriousness, if we did have Tony at the helm we would likely see a more disciplined team than we put on the floor now. Tony's challenge will be his ability to recruit to compete in the ACC. And yes he is an upgrade from Leiteo.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Gotta let this year play out first. How knows....the SoCon isn't exactly the Big 10 and this App team could come together and win a lot of games. At least I hope they can compete in the SoCon. :?: :?: :?:

yosefederation

Unread post by yosefederation » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:53 am

6-12 Socon regular season record is my optimistic prediction this season. Dead serious!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”