Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Basketball and the AD

JCline0429

Basketball and the AD

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 am

CC has been given enormous credit on here for the success of the football program since he came to ASU, perhaps justifiably so. I pose the question: what has he done to help the basketball program achieve similar success? I'm sure he has done something. Our attendance at games almost pales in comparison to some mid-major women's programs. But what? The recycling Buzz experiment worked somewhat for one season. What else? What suggestions would we want the AD to consider?
a.k.a JC0429

CornCobPipes
School: Appalachian State

Re: Basketball and the AD

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:30 am

Sell raffle tickets for cash prizes!!! We should do this at football games too!
KICK ASS!!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:23 am

JCline0429 wrote:CC has been given enormous credit on here for the success of the football program since he came to ASU, perhaps justifiably so. I pose the question: what has he done to help the basketball program achieve similar success? I'm sure he has done something. Our attendance at games almost pales in comparison to some mid-major women's programs. But what? The recycling Buzz experiment worked somewhat for one season. What else? What suggestions would we want the AD to consider?
1. Naked cheerleaders
2. Free beer night

Seriously, somebody has to do something to get the student body involved. That is the key to attendance at home games. Finding a coach capable of putting a winning team on the floor might help too.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:40 am

appst89 wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:CC has been given enormous credit on here for the success of the football program since he came to ASU, perhaps justifiably so. I pose the question: what has he done to help the basketball program achieve similar success? I'm sure he has done something. Our attendance at games almost pales in comparison to some mid-major women's programs. But what? The recycling Buzz experiment worked somewhat for one season. What else? What suggestions would we want the AD to consider?
1. Naked cheerleaders
2. Free beer night

Seriously, somebody has to do something to get the student body involved. That is the key to attendance at home games. Finding a coach capable of putting a winning team on the floor might help too.
Finding a coach that can market himself and the team would also help.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

App Band

Unread post by App Band » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 am

Honestly, I believe that the football program would have been as successful as they were in that 2005-2007 National Championship run--without CC. That team was READY to succeed after that horrible 2004 season when we won every game at home and lost every game on the road....INCLUDING TO WESTERN! :oops: I remember well calling two of my friends who are Western alumni and, after congratulating them with a huge lump in my throat, telling them my prediction that there was about to be THE BIGGEST SHAKE-UP IN APPALACHIAN STATE FOOTBALL HISTORY THAT THIS UNIVERSITY HAD EVER SEEN! AND THERE WAS! That team CAUGHT FIRE and was MORE THAN READY TO RUN-THE-TABLE! AND THEY DID! There was just something about that bunch of guys. They had ALL the "intangibles" that it took to work the magic those three years.

I hope we have the chance to do that again before this move.
GO APPS!!!!

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:30 am

Having a coach that can win games and be a recognizable face for the program is the biggest component but the task of spearheading a marketing campaign for the program should fall on the shoulders of the Athletics Director.

In spite of all the disdain we have for Buzz after leaving us high and dry, he was the biggest name coach we could have gotten and in his one season back, we won 24 games, went to the SoCon final, hosted 3 postseason games and still only got 2K per home game. I don't think anyone is asking for miracles but that 2K figure is about what our attendance should be in a season like this one, not when we win 25 games.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 am

Good point. There is no logical way to give CC any more "good" credit for football success than to give him "bad" credit for basketball failure. Personally, I think he deserves less of the football credit since the head coach was already in place, and more of the recent basketball credit since he has been able to hire 2 basketball coaches. Thus far, the Capel hire has not turned out well, but I think it was a "gutsy" (yet risky) move to make. If there is not a pretty quick improvement, then it will be his responsibility to get things cleaned up.

But, realistically, CC deserves more direct credit for big-picture issues like long-range planning, facilities improvements, game-day experiences, a push for FBS, some good coaching hires outside of just men's BB, financial management, etc. -- things an AD are responsible for.

Oh, and I would second the call for naked cheerleaders and free beer -- that's gotta be a good move.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 am

MountainMan wrote:
Good point. There is no logical way to give CC any more "good" credit for football success than to give him "bad" credit for basketball failure. Personally, I think he deserves less of the football credit since the head coach was already in place, and more of the recent basketball credit since he has been able to hire 2 basketball coaches. Thus far, the Capel hire has not turned out well, but I think it was a "gutsy" (yet risky) move to make. If there is not a pretty quick improvement, then it will be his responsibility to get things cleaned up.

But, realistically, CC deserves more direct credit for big-picture issues like long-range planning, facilities improvements, game-day experiences, a push for FBS, some good coaching hires outside of just men's BB, financial management, etc. -- things an AD are responsible for.

Oh, and I would second the call for naked cheerleaders and free beer -- that's gotta be a good move.
This...everything in your post. :D
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:45 am

Which game will feature the naked cheerleaders and free beer?

I will try to fit that into my schedule.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:14 pm

1. Block ACC games tv availability in Boone.
2. Get us in a Conference that gets us better home game opponents than Milligan.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:20 pm

App Band wrote:Honestly, I believe that the football program would have been as successful as they were in that 2005-2007 National Championship run--without CC. That team was READY to succeed after that horrible 2004 season when we won every game at home and lost every game on the road....INCLUDING TO WESTERN! :oops: I remember well calling two of my friends who are Western alumni and, after congratulating them with a huge lump in my throat, telling them my prediction that there was about to be THE BIGGEST SHAKE-UP IN APPALACHIAN STATE FOOTBALL HISTORY THAT THIS UNIVERSITY HAD EVER SEEN! AND THERE WAS! That team CAUGHT FIRE and was MORE THAN READY TO RUN-THE-TABLE! AND THEY DID! There was just something about that bunch of guys. They had ALL the "intangibles" that it took to work the magic those three years.

I hope we have the chance to do that again before this move.
GO APPS!!!!
Well said and there is obviously a great deal of truth in what you said, but try to tell that to the ones who have credited the AD and the Chancellor with a bit more than they might deserve. By the same token the coaching staff would have had a hard time achieving what they did without the university and athletic adminstration's support. It took a combination of the fans buying tickets, media promotion (especially that provided by DJ's skills and leadership) game day experience, the right kind of leadership among the players themselves, adminstrative support, and of course by the coaching staff.

Rep point to you, App Band and dare we forget to mention the half time atmosphere aided by the Band of Distinction and their supporters.
In short....a slew of intanglibles coming from ASU people at all levels.
a.k.a JC0429

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 pm

JCline0429 wrote:Rep point to you, App Band

Just in case you didn't know, if you click the "thumbs up" at the bottom of a post it will give the poster a rep point that adds to their total.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:07 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:Rep point to you, App Band

Just in case you didn't know, if you click the "thumbs up" at the bottom of a post it will give the poster a rep point that adds to their total.

Thanks, I know, but I still like to let the poster know that I gave them the point in appreciation for seeing a positive post I agree with. You never know, it may happen to brighten someone's day and show that they are not alone with their view point.Some people don't check on the function that shows all of a person's rep points and who gave them.
It's interesting.
a.k.a JC0429

App Band

Unread post by App Band » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks, JCline! I appreciate your support! In case you hadn't heard, NC's Band of Distinction has been invited to march in the Governor's Inaugural Parade. Kudos to Director Kevin Richardson and all my "band babies!" I wish I could go with you! Back in my day (EGAD! that was eons ago!) we marched in Governor Holshouser's parade. It was a great honor and a lot of fun!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:48 am

Governor Holshouser's wife (Pat) was my sixth grade teacher, God rest her soul.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 am

Cobb has butchered the basketball program with his careless decision making.

I hated Fancher more than anyone, but now find my self thinking what if we kept him?

Shouldn't have gone after Buzz knowing that he wasn't 100% committed to the job and has a nomadic history. If it's true that the Buzz/Capel decisions were out of Cobb's hands (boosters), then what is the point of having that goofy mofo hanging around here?

The AD deserves blame anytime you have a 3 year run with 3 different HC's. Charlie, "it's time". Time to start caring about men's basketball. Used to go to all bball games when I was a student a few years ago and rarely saw Cobb/Peacock.

Nobody at App cares about Men's basketball, and it starts at the very top.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 am

From what I have heard the basketball team situation stemmed from "pressure" given by an inept individual who attended the same high school I did. Don't know if this is true or not, but once again, that's what I have heard. :?

AppState2009

Unread post by AppState2009 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:21 am

IGgreer wrote:Charlie, "it's time". Time to start caring about men's basketball. Used to go to all bball games when I was a student a few years ago and rarely saw Cobb/Peacock.

Nobody at App cares about Men's basketball, and it starts at the very top.
Here Here! Couldn't agree more the basketball program has been the red headed step child of ASU's "traditional" sports. Pathetic half a$$ed marketing campaigns, bringing in the same schools year after year. Seems like they have played Milligan every year since I was a freshman and I graduated 3 years ago.

FB recruits are excited to come to ASU, no reason it shouldn't be the same for MBB. I can see us having great recruiting classes (complete with forwards and centers not 5 guards every year).

I loved going to MBB game 10x more than FB games as a student, some of the best college memories. Bring in some fresh competition and maybe the students will come.

Time to bring this program back to where it was 5 years ago. I want to be proud of this team like I was when we won the San Juan Shootout, we was there once it can be done again!

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 am

IGgreer wrote: I hated Fancher more than anyone, but now find my self thinking what if we kept him?
Why did you hate Houston Fancher? I know the 2009 season was disappointing but we had some good seasons under him and he was a class act.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:57 am

I was at App during the Maravich years (the worst ever for App basketball) and the following resergence under Cremmins who brought instant crediblity to the program and turned it around FAST. It's all about coaching which includes recruiting. App won something like 4 games under Maravich one year and within 3 years Cremmins had App in the NCAA tourney.

Win and the fans will come.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”