Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ASU @ Wofford Game Thread

Kgfish
School: Appalachian State

Re: ASU @ Wofford Game Thread

Unread post by Kgfish » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 am

I guess a win is a win, but Wofford didn't score during the last 7 minutes of the game. In their last 9 possessions Wofford missed 4 lay ups, turned the ball over 3 times and their leading scorer missed 2 wide open looks from 15 feet. Feels like more of a gift than a win.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:47 am

Kgfish wrote:I guess a win is a win, but Wofford didn't score during the last 7 minutes of the game. In their last 9 possessions Wofford missed 4 lay ups, turned the ball over 3 times and their leading scorer missed 2 wide open looks from 15 feet. Feels like more of a gift than a win.
It was ugly, no question about it. Wofford missed several opportunities to take a lead and we missed several chances to extend the deficit.

However, the play-by-play will show 4 missed lay-ups but that is a bit misleading because the last 3 were blocked by Healy, Canty and Baskin. Baskin's block with 4 seconds left saved the game for us. There is no doubt that they made some unforced errors as well but after seeing us give away games to Duquese and Western, it is nice to be on the other end.

Appersrule

Unread post by Appersrule » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:09 pm

The 3 officials in Tuesday's game have all called Final Fours and 2 of the 3 have worked multiple National Titles. I'm sure asumike knows more about officiating than they do. :P

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Appersrule wrote:The 3 officials in Tuesday's game have all called Final Fours and 2 of the 3 have worked multiple National Titles. I'm sure asumike knows more about officiating than they do. :P
Hey, I make no effort to hide my bias! :lol:

That being said, even good officials miss calls and it didn't seem like the calls were very consistent in the second half. At one point, after what I saw as a fairly blatant hack was missed, Capel made a comment to Ted Valentine (who is a great official, BTW) who replied "not my call, I had nothing to do with that", which is as close to "don't blame me, HE screwed it up" as you'll ever get from an official.

You have to play extremely clean basketball to only commit 2 team fouls in 19:56 of game time and from where I was sitting, Wofford was playing every bit as physical as we were. Just the way it goes, they are human as well and sometimes it doesn't go your way.

Either way, we played through it and hung on for a W on the road and if we'd lost, it would not have been because of the officiating. I will gladly take the wins, no matter how they come.
Last edited by asumike83 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 pm

asumike83 wrote:
Appersrule wrote:The 3 officials in Tuesday's game have all called Final Fours and 2 of the 3 have worked multiple National Titles. I'm sure asumike knows more about officiating than they do. :P
Hey, I make no effort to hide my bias! :lol:

That being said, even good officials miss calls and it didn't seem like the calls were very consistent in the second half. At one point, after what I saw as a fairly blatant hack was missed, Capel made a comment to Ted Valentine (who is a great official, BTW) who replied "not my call, I had nothing to do with that", which is as close to "don't blame me, HE screwed it up" as you'll ever get from an official.

You have to play extremely clean basketball to only commit 2 team fouls in 19:56 of game time and from where I was sitting, Wofford was playing every bit as physical as we were. Just the way it goes, they are human as well and sometimes it doesn't go your way.

Either way, we played through it and hung on for a W on the road and if we'd lost, it would not have been because of the officiating. I will gladly take the wins, no matter how they come.
Wait a minute. This game was on TV??? :o
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Did you get to see TV call a blocking foul? It's a thing of beauty.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”