Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time for Change with App State Basketball

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Time for Change with App State Basketball

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

If we finish below .500 in conference play , and Choke Fox is retained ,my conclusion is that we have given up.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:34 am

Liberty 73 UCLA 58

swva appfan

Unread post by swva appfan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:59 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:34 am
Liberty 73 UCLA 58
So I think you're saying we can find someone with coaching experience from known schools who can beat name schools in Div. 1? If so... I'm in!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Obviously we haven’t beaten anyone worth a damn, but we’ve held our own against some solid programs.

8 point loss to Alabama
10 point loss to Georgetown
6 point loss to Wichita State

I’m as eager as anyone for us to make some noise in MBB, but compared to where we were in the twilight of the Capel years, we’ve come a long way. Outside of our VT win in 2014 and oddly, a close loss to Alabama, we got pummeled by pretty much everyone we faced.

We just need a spark. It’s be nice to knockout Saint Louis today.
YNWA

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:20 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:57 pm
Obviously we haven’t beaten anyone worth a damn, but we’ve held our own against some solid programs.

8 point loss to Alabama
10 point loss to Georgetown
6 point loss to Wichita State

I’m as eager as anyone for us to make some noise in MBB, but compared to where we were in the twilight of the Capel years, we’ve come a long way. Outside of our VT win in 2014 and oddly, a close loss to Alabama, we got pummeled by pretty much everyone we faced.

We just need a spark. It’s be nice to knockout Saint Louis today.
The Capel years are falling farther and farther back in our rear view. Its time to start doing something.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:30 pm

We have 5 points at the ten minute mark. 5.

appfan22

Unread post by appfan22 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Abysmal offense in the first 10 minutes of the Saint Louis game.

12 foot off hand hook shots, 23 ft 3’s, out of control movements leading to offensive fouls and turnovers, and lack of ball movement after initial perimeter swing. Tough basketball to watch as a fan.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:53 pm

We’ve made a run. If we would block out we could be leading at the half. Shabazz brick fall away 25 footer with time left at the end of the half ...ground hawg day.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Can't even make a layup.

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Our basketball team should have the theme to the old Benny Hill Show continuously playing over the loud speakers during every game we play. It would fit so well.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:58 pm

Good grief man... down 28 to a bad team. So bad.

appfan22

Unread post by appfan22 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Absolutely embarrassing. Down by 12 at the 9 minute mark and end up losing by 28.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:09 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:58 pm
This “bad” team you refer to is picked to win one of the better conferences in the country this year. They are probably the second best team we’ve played after Purdue. Alabama was the most athletic, though. Let’s see how our tough nonconference schedule has prepared us for conference play.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:31 pm

When I was a student I tried so hard to support this current coaching staff and players. And I still do. Every interaction I ever had with Fox or any of the players was a great one. They're a great bunch of guys as far as I'm concerned and they all deeply care about creating a winning product. Unfortunately it's just not working. This team has two pretty good players in Shabazz and Forrest. We shouldn't be losing to St. Louis by 30.

Looks like it's about time to go in a different direction. I know this isn't an attractive job but we've got to hold out faith that we find that next diamond in the rough.

I'm still hoping for a serious turn around in conference play, but I'm just not expecting it.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Athletically we looked comparable. As a team well, we are just bad. Same mistakes game after game , season after season . It’s what we’ve got.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm

app97 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:09 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
This “bad” team you refer to is picked to win one of the better conferences in the country this year. They are probably the second best team we’ve played after Purdue. Alabama was the most athletic, though. Let’s see how our tough nonconference schedule has prepared us for conference play.
They come from a conference that barely makes the tourney every year. Their teams are typically knocked out in the first round. Davidson is better this year than St.Louis. When you say our tough non conference do you mean the Alabama team that lost to Georgia State? or the Purdue team that is no longer ranked and is slowly dropping to the bottom of the big ten? or maybe georgetown who has already lost to SMU and loyola marymount (who has yet to beat anyone of consequence). Wait I bet it was Milligan, the team that is so low on ESPN's radar that after all these years they still haven't even put their logo next to their name.

Last year we went 9-9 in a conference not exactly known for being a powerhouse in basketball. That was year 4 for Fox. He had a team of players he had recruited. His schemes had been in place for years. His culture had been created. This is year 5. I am very happy with how Fox cleaned up the program. We are beyond the cleaning now. True progress has to be shown of Fox has to go. We need a top 3 finish in conference this year or something has to give. Last year 3rd was GS with an 11-7 record. That is not an unreasonable expectation in year 5 of a coaches tenure. This is completely his team through and through.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:55 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm
app97 wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:
They come from a conference that barely makes the tourney every year. Their teams are typically knocked out in the first round. Davidson is better this year than St.Louis. When you say our tough non conference do you mean the Alabama team that lost to Georgia State? or the Purdue team that is no longer ranked and is slowly dropping to the bottom of the big ten? or maybe georgetown who has already lost to SMU and loyola marymount (who has yet to beat anyone of consequence). Wait I bet it was Milligan, the team that is so low on ESPN's radar that after all these years they still haven't even put their logo next to their name.

Last year we went 9-9 in a conference not exactly known for being a powerhouse in basketball. That was year 4 for Fox. He had a team of players he had recruited. His schemes had been in place for years. His culture had been created. This is year 5. I am very happy with how Fox cleaned up the program. We are beyond the cleaning now. True progress has to be shown of Fox has to go. We need a top 3 finish in conference this year or something has to give. Last year 3rd was GS with an 11-7 record. That is not an unreasonable expectation in year 5 of a coaches tenure. This is completely his team through and through.
Well said.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:02 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm
app97 wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:

The A-10 is one of the top mid major conferences. They regularly have at large bids.

"Normally, the A-10 is one of the best non-major leagues. Per KenPom, it has been either the seventh- or eighth-best conference in each of the past six years. The A-10 has also sent at least three teams to the NCAA tournament in 10 consecutive seasons.

That streak is almost certainly coming to an end this year."

St. Louis is picked to win the conference. They are likely good.

We are bad and in one of the worst mid major basketball conferences to boot. Fox is missing something significant as a coach. I have no idea what it is, but it isn't there.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:04 pm

app97 wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:
I guess I’m just expecting not to get beat down by almost 30 at this stage by another team we should have competed against. Maybe that’s on me for expecting more ?
Last edited by mountaineerman on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:08 pm

Pretty painful to watch. I feel like I could go on a Fox rant but it wouldn’t be constructive or productive so I’ll leave it at this....there 100% needs to be a change at the end of the year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”