Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Time for Change with App State Basketball

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Re: Time for Change with App State Basketball

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 pm

I'd take a D2 coach trying to move up in his career at this point.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:17 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm
app97 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:09 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:58 pm
Good grief man... down 28 to a bad team. So bad.
This “bad” team you refer to is picked to win one of the better conferences in the country this year. They are probably the second best team we’ve played after Purdue. Alabama was the most athletic, though. Let’s see how our tough nonconference schedule has prepared us for conference play.
They come from a conference that barely makes the tourney every year. Their teams are typically knocked out in the first round. Davidson is better this year than St.Louis. When you say our tough non conference do you mean the Alabama team that lost to Georgia State? or the Purdue team that is no longer ranked and is slowly dropping to the bottom of the big ten? or maybe georgetown who has already lost to SMU and loyola marymount (who has yet to beat anyone of consequence). Wait I bet it was Milligan, the team that is so low on ESPN's radar that after all these years they still haven't even put their logo next to their name.

Last year we went 9-9 in a conference not exactly known for being a powerhouse in basketball. That was year 4 for Fox. He had a team of players he had recruited. His schemes had been in place for years. His culture had been created. This is year 5. I am very happy with how Fox cleaned up the program. We are beyond the cleaning now. True progress has to be shown of Fox has to go. We need a top 3 finish in conference this year or something has to give. Last year 3rd was GS with an 11-7 record. That is not an unreasonable expectation in year 5 of a coaches tenure. This is completely his team through and through.
The A10 as well as every team you mentioned other than Milligan has far more basketball culture, history, significance and respect than anyone in our league. Ga State is the most talented team in our league every year and has a good chance to win a couple games in the ncaa tournament, but they aren’t a household basketball name. It’s painful for me to watch our team as well, and we need improvement in several areas, but I want to see how we compete against teams who have similar talent and recruiting. We’ve lost 2 out of 4 of those (ball state and ecu), the latter of which clearly had less talent than us. I wouldn’t argue against a change if we can’t best last year’s conference record, but there are at least 3 sun belt teams with as much or more talent then we have this year. A top 3 finish would be a hell of a coaching job, which is what most of the naysayers have a problem with.

Just for the heck of it, who are some coaches that could win consistently at App, would see the job as a step up from where they are, and stick around for more than a handful of years? (It’s never happened, by the way). Mike Young at wofford and McKillop at Davidson are anamolys. Those schools are very fortunate to have had those coaches stick around at a mid major program. I didn’t care for many of the names being thrown around during the last search, including Lutz. Pat Kelsey might be intriguing and someone mentioned that he wanted the job, although I never heard his name at the time. Not offering Matt McMahon the job might have screwed us long term, although he might have pursued a bigger paycheck after a few years of success, despite being a mountaineer at heart.

swva appfan

Unread post by swva appfan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 pm

I jokingly mentioned Ritchie McKay's (Liberty) resume earlier however why couldn't App St find someone if they did? Why not an up and coming assistant? We'd all love to find a basketball version of Jerry Moore and could it happen? Sure. I'll take a basketball Satterfield for 4-5 years as long as our program is producing.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 am

I'd give Bryan Lentz a look. While he did spend time under Fox he isn't really a Fox guy. He's really a part of the Barnes tree with building blocks from his dad at Lenoir Rhyne. On the same staff I'd go for Rob Lanier. He would certainly be someone hungry and looking for a chance to prove himself.

As for the whole A-10 is a big conference in basketball you may be reminiscing about previous members. Not so much for the current iteration of this conference.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ording-bpi

"8. Mountain West
9. Atlantic 10
10. Missouri Valley
11. Sun Belt
12. Conference USA"

Outside of Dayton(18 bids made final four once...in 1967, E8 3 times, SW16 7 times) and Saint Josephs (20 bids, elite 8 twice SW16 6 times), who I will admit are good programs, all you have are the Shaka years for VCU(16 bids, 2011 only year past round 1,
Steph at Davidson in 2008 (14 bids E8 3 times, SW16 4 times),
---and heres the big one for the A-10. They have a Natty Champ!! La Salle. That makes them big time.....in 1954.....(12 bids, 1 SW16 after 1955...).
George Washington (11 bids, 1 SW16..in 1993),
Rhode Island (10 bids, 1 E8, 2 SW16, in 1998),
ST. Louis (9bids, 1 E8, 2 SW16, both before.... 1957).
Richmond (9 bids, 2 SW16)

It just goes on down from there. So no they are not a big time conference that makes deep runs every year. Once in a while they have a team do something but you can say that for all the mid major conferences. A lot of these teams made their runs in previous conferences.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 am

swva appfan wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 pm
I jokingly mentioned Ritchie McKay's (Liberty) resume earlier however why couldn't App St find someone if they did? Why not an up and coming assistant? We'd all love to find a basketball version of Jerry Moore and could it happen? Sure. I'll take a basketball Satterfield for 4-5 years as long as our program is producing.
McKay’s name was mentioned during the last search, as well as an associate HC at Richmond, maybe even Sanchez who is now at Charlotte.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:39 am

appdaze wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 am
I'd give Bryan Lentz a look. While he did spend time under Fox he isn't really a Fox guy. He's really a part of the Barnes tree with building blocks from his dad at Lenoir Rhyne. On the same staff I'd go for Rob Lanier. He would certainly be someone hungry and looking for a chance to prove himself.

As for the whole A-10 is a big conference in basketball you may be reminiscing about previous members. Not so much for the current iteration of this conference.

"8. Mountain West
9. Atlantic 10
10. Missouri Valley
11. Sun Belt
12. Conference USA"

Outside of Dayton(18 bids made final four once...in 1967, E8 3 times, SW16 7 times) and Saint Josephs (20 bids, elite 8 twice SW16 6 times), who I will admit are good programs, all you have are the Shaka years for VCU(16 bids, 2011 only year past round 1,
---and heres the big one for the A-10. They have a Natty Champ!! La Salle. That makes them big time.....in 1954.....(12 bids, 1 SW16 after 1955...).

It just goes on down from there. So no they are not a big time conference that makes deep runs every year. Once in a while they have a team do something but you can say that for all the mid major conferences. A lot of these teams made their runs in previous conferences.
But unlike any conference we've been in they are a multi-bid conference. As a conference they do seem to be off their usual pace. We would likely fare worse there than where we are currently.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:40 am

At least now, if we make a change our position won't be in the shape it was when Fox was hired. I like Fox and think he was what we needed at the time to straighten out the mess we were in. It does appear that now we've hit a wall and it's probably time for a change (I would wait until the end of the season).
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:41 am

appdaze wrote:

"8. Mountain West
9. Atlantic 10
10. Missouri Valley
11. Sun Belt
12. Conference USA"

You just proved my point about A10 culture, history, significance, and respect compared to the belt. Now, do the same research for sun belt member schools and see what you find. Nobody ever said that the A10 was the ACC or big east.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:02 am

appdaze wrote:
Interesting. Lentz certainly is getting good experience at Tennessee working with an awesome basketball team and Rick Barnes is obviously a great mentor to have. That being said he was in Boone with Fox for four seasons and in my opinion, if you make a change with Fox I think you just need to go in a whole new direction entirely. I wouldn't bring back anyone with a connection to the Fox era. That's not a slight on Lentz as I'm sure he'd do some things differently, but the program to me, needs a complete overhaul.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:39 pm

app97 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:41 am
appdaze wrote:

"8. Mountain West
9. Atlantic 10
10. Missouri Valley
11. Sun Belt
12. Conference USA"

You just proved my point about A10 culture, history, significance, and respect compared to the belt. Now, do the same research for sun belt member schools and see what you find. Nobody ever said that the A10 was the ACC or big east.

I was going off you saying that they are one of the better conferences in the country. They are only considered 2 spots higher than the sunbelt. Meaning that respect difference isn't exactly there. The research showed that these teams had bids to the tourney. I didn't take the time to write in the date for each bid because that would have taken ages. Almost all of the teams received bids while being a part of smaller 1 bid conferences. They got bids by being the small fish in an even smaller pond. Again this is not the old A-10 with Butler, Temple, Xavier who all left in 2013. To throw it back to the 70's/80's/90's they had Rutgers, Pitt, PSU, WVU, Villanova. This is not the A-10 of old. This is a middle of the mid tier conference. Again the bids I have shown have almost all come from when they were in small nothing conferences and were conference champs or got lucky with an at large bid. As far as history goes like I mentioned all they have left are Dayton and St, Josephs who have long term histories of success. Some of these dates go back to the 50's. So when looking at the number of bids one must keep in mind that this is over a 70 ish year time period.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:43 pm

AppHoops wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:02 am
appdaze wrote:
Interesting. Lentz certainly is getting good experience at Tennessee working with an awesome basketball team and Rick Barnes is obviously a great mentor to have. That being said he was in Boone with Fox for four seasons and in my opinion, if you make a change with Fox I think you just need to go in a whole new direction entirely. I wouldn't bring back anyone with a connection to the Fox era. That's not a slight on Lentz as I'm sure he'd do some things differently, but the program to me, needs a complete overhaul.
Like I said Lentz isn't really a Fox guy. He just wanted to get back closer to NC and the App position was open. He was with Barnes in Texas before he came to App. So he has now had two long stints with Barnes. That is why he is part of the Barnes tree. I would be fine with Lentz or Lanier.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:12 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:43 pm
AppHoops wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Like I said Lentz isn't really a Fox guy. He just wanted to get back closer to NC and the App position was open. He was with Barnes in Texas before he came to App. So he has now had two long stints with Barnes. That is why he is part of the Barnes tree. I would be fine with Lentz or Lanier.
Fox guy or not, he worked with him for four years. That's not an insignificant amount of time. I'd prefer to get someone with no association to the current regime at all.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:18 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:39 pm
app97 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:41 am
appdaze wrote:

"8. Mountain West
9. Atlantic 10
10. Missouri Valley
11. Sun Belt
12. Conference USA"

I was going off you saying that they are one of the better conferences in the country. They are only considered 2 spots higher than the sunbelt. Meaning that respect difference isn't exactly there. The research showed that these teams had bids to the tourney. I didn't take the time to write in the date for each bid because that would have taken ages. Almost all of the teams received bids while being a part of smaller 1 bid conferences. They got bids by being the small fish in an even smaller pond. Again this is not the old A-10 with Butler, Temple, Xavier who all left in 2013. To throw it back to the 70's/80's/90's they had Rutgers, Pitt, PSU, WVU, Villanova. This is not the A-10 of old. This is a middle of the mid tier conference. Again the bids I have shown have almost all come from when they were in small nothing conferences and were conference champs or got lucky with an at large bid. As far as history goes like I mentioned all they have left are Dayton and St, Josephs who have long term histories of success. Some of these dates go back to the 50's. So when looking at the number of bids one must keep in mind that this is over a 70 ish year time period.
I see your point, but current espn conference rankings are not the be all end all to me with regards to respect. The talent/recruiting levels, overall interest in basketball at those schools compared to the belt, and historical significance are important. I would estimate that at least half of the A10 teams are better than 10 or 11 sun belt teams. Of course, none of this excuses App’s performance.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:21 pm

appdaze wrote:
AppHoops wrote:
appdaze wrote:
I would guess that an SEC associate head coach makes more money than an App State head coach could make. Just a hunch.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:28 pm

app97 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:21 pm
appdaze wrote:
AppHoops wrote:
appdaze wrote:
I would guess that an SEC associate head coach makes more money than an App State head coach could make. Just a hunch.
This is also a great point. Fox's salary is $250K this season I believe. If he stays through his contract he gets a couple of bumps, but nothing drastic. That $200-250K salary would likely be the range we'd have to work with should we hire someone new. Definitely looking at Mid Major assistants or perhaps some lower level head coaches

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:42 pm

appdaze wrote:
AppHoops wrote:
appdaze wrote:
You are appdaze and you must be in a daze. All indications are that Bryan Lentz is a good guy but there are almost none to show that he's ready to be a D-I head coach. He was an assistant coach at L-R by virtue of being the head coach's son. He's never been an assistant coach at either UTX or at UTK. You mention his two long stints with Barnes--uhhhhh no! How 'bout four years at UTX and seven months at UTK. Try "video guy" at both stops w/Barnes and under five years total.

OTOH, Lanier might be OK if he made it through DGillen's process.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:11 pm

asu66 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:42 pm
appdaze wrote:
AppHoops wrote:
appdaze wrote:
You are appdaze and you must be in a daze. All indications are that Bryan Lentz is a good guy but there are almost none to show that he's ready to be a D-I head coach. He was an assistant coach at L-R by virtue of being the head coach's son. He's never been an assistant coach at either UTX or at UTK. You mention his two long stints with Barnes--uhhhhh no! How 'bout four years at UTX and seven months at UTK. Try "video guy" at both stops w/Barnes and under five years total.

OTOH, Lanier might be OK if he made it through DGillen's process.

Someone asked for names so I just dropped a couple names, chill. I mentioned his dad from LR. I didn't realize you had an axe to grind against the dude.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:24 pm

Getting an assistant from the university of virginia tree would shock out fan base as to how differently we played as a team. I’ve said it a million times. We need an identity and shockingly was challenged on this board by someone telling me that we weren’t losing that bad to Alabama and Georgetown. If we had an actual system in place, whatever it may be, great defense, a bunch of three point shooters a la Belmont, or crazy full court press, a la Arkansas, we could look to that. We just roll the ball out there and hope we can And 1 better than our opponent, which we can’t because we don’t have the talent margin for error. Fox is out of his depth. He came from davidson and we all hoped he would bring that but our teams look NOTHING like Davidson teams and that’s on him

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 pm

Couldn’t begin to provide a list of names or suggestions to take over that are realistic/viable, but I imagine that App would be an attractive program for coaches looking to get their break.

The Football brand is extremely strong right now which can help draw recruits and North Carolina is basketball hot bed for prep talent. Those two things are going to be huge pluses for prospective coaches.

Plus the App fan base is passionate and while attendance lacks for basketball right now, the students and Alumni are all ready and willing to back a team that they believe in as evident with football.

Let’s let DG bring in his guy
Last edited by AppHoops on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:20 am

Conference play. Time to start winning. No excuses.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”