Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCG Game Thread

Kgfish
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNCG Game Thread

Unread post by Kgfish » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 pm

cbarrier90 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
cbarrier90 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
Gonzo wrote:VERY solid student turn out. Nice work students.

More importantly, they looked like they had a great time. Likely to return.
Announced attendance of just over 1300 with probably 600 to 700 students. You call that a solid turn out from a 17,000 member student body? If so we have some low expectations.
I guess you forgot about getting destroyed by High Point and barely beating Carson-Newman...

I could care less if 1 was in attendance. We got the W. On to the next one...
Didn't forget anything. Didn't realize the team had to earn the students privilege of attending games. Thought you supported your team through good times and bad. You may not care if more than 1 student shows up, but the players do. If only 800 out of 17,000 students is considered a "solid turnout" we have set the bar really low. Understand paying customers from town not showing up to see us play the 344 ranked team (out of 347) but only a handful of students who get in free?
My point is the bar really got that low, which is why the fact that we are in a virtual tie for 1st in the conference is so surprising.

When a train of mediocrity is speeding downhill for so long, first you have to stop it, and only then can you start to make the slow climb back to the top, and that's not an easy trek. Attending Appalachian basketball games has seemed like more of a chore than a privilege.

I still say it all goes back to the marketing department not putting forth any effort to really get the word out. It's disappointing that football can get something like playattherock.com and all those hype videos, the only thing basketball gets is a small sign outside that says "there's a basketball game tonight."

I said it in a post before, but students don't take school pride in a mediocre program, especially when they can stay home and watch State play Duke. Give them a reason to show up. After five straight wins, progress, however small, has been made, and that's a step in the right direction.
Marketing the basketball program has been lacking for years, maybe forever. Short term success isn;t going to get it. I don't buy the "its a long walk to the HC" talk. Buzz won a lot of games his first time through and averaged around 3,000 in Varsity Gym. HF won 25 games and a north division title while beating the ACC reg season co-champion UVA, a 22 game winner and sweet 16 Vanderbilt team from the SEC and a UCF team that won 22 games and finished runner up to Memphis in CUSA, yet still could only average around 2500. ASU's #1 issue is its students grew up having it ingrained into their minds nothing is better than ACC basketball. It is going to take several years of winning and beating some name teams before that barrier is cracked. Not down playing anything just looking at it objectively. Some of you students are new to this and I admire your spunk, but many of us have seen these re-runs for the last 20 years and know the obstacles we face.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

cbarrier90
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNCG Game Thread

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:06 pm

You say you're not trying to downplay anything yet here we are in the middle of a 5-game winning streak and the best thing you can talk about how the turnout wasn't very good. If that's not downplaying I don't know what is.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”