Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Saint Louis game debacle

appfanz
School: Appalachian State

Re: Saint Louis game debacle

Unread post by appfanz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:53 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 am
wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:22 pm
I don’t recall Fancher making the championship game during his tenure. Who did we play in the championship game?
Charleston. And DJ Thompson had the worst game of his career that night and Draper for Charleston had one of his better games. It still came down to the wire..
Could be wrong but I think that game was in the semis.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:18 am

appfanz wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:53 am
AppStateNews wrote:
wncapp78 wrote:
I don’t recall Fancher making the championship game during his tenure. Who did we play in the championship game?
Charleston. And DJ Thompson had the worst game of his career that night and Draper for Charleston had one of his better games. It still came down to the wire..
I'm pretty sure that one was in the finals. We slam dunked C of C in the semis a few years later in 2010 only to lose to Wawfurd in the finals. Even if the earlier game with C of C was in the semis we were still the best team in the SoCon that year. We swept Davidson in conference and defeated UVA, Vanderbilt, Wichita State, and VCU in non-conference action. The year ended with a brutal loss to Ole Miss in the first round of the NIT.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 am

appfanz wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
wncapp78 wrote:
You are absolutely right -- it was the semis. Just seemed to feel like the finals since the winner would be the favorite in the championship game. Which Charleston lost to Davidson.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:41 am

We missed two FTs that could have won it. A win likely garnered an at large bid.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:22 am

I have to apologize to Coach Fancher. One of my beefs with him was that I didn’t think he ever even got past the semis in the tournament.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:49 am

I agree with most that winning will solve some of the attendance issues and I think most would agree that the winning part of the equation won't come from Fox.

Fox has done some good things here. The Capel era here was an unmitigated disaster there is no getting around it. It took Fox a couple of years, but he's been able to stabilize the academic issues & off court discipline issues which were very important tasks he had to accomplish. The fact that he was able to do that while adding a higher talent level to the roster is what earned him his extension.

What's fallen short has been the on court output hasn't matched the talent level. I think it's okay to realize that in order for us to take the next step, new leadership and input is needed. Whoever the new coach ends up being will be inheriting a much better situation than what Fox got. If we make the right hire, wins should come a little easier than they did for Fox and I think we'd see a renewed energy. That, in turn, will help fill up the seats.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 am

I question whether or not Fox has added a higher level of talent to the roster. He might have added a higher level of talent for the SoCon but not for the Sun Belt. One of the problems I had with his hiring was that he knew the SoCon and nothing else. I would have felt much better about the hire had Fox coached at another school in addition to Davidson.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:26 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 am
appfanz wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
wncapp78 wrote:
You are absolutely right -- it was the semis. Just seemed to feel like the finals since the winner would be the favorite in the championship game. Which Charleston lost to Davidson.

We played to lose.I was done with HF at that point , nightmare game.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 am
I question whether or not Fox has added a higher level of talent to the roster. He might have added a higher level of talent for the SoCon but not for the Sun Belt. One of the problems I had with his hiring was that he knew the SoCon and nothing else. I would have felt much better about the hire had Fox coached at another school in addition to Davidson.
I think that the SoCon is a better regarded bb conference than the belt is.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:18 am
appfanz wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
wncapp78 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that one was in the finals. We slam dunked C of C in the semis a few years later in 2010 only to lose to Wawfurd in the finals. Even if the earlier game with C of C was in the semis we were still the best team in the SoCon that year. We swept Davidson in conference and defeated UVA, Vanderbilt, Wichita State, and VCU in non-conference action. The year ended with a brutal loss to Ole Miss in the first round of the NIT.
Jesus how were we not ranked?
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:09 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm
Arsenal App wrote:
I agree, the rivalries are better in my opinion and this year they are stacked with good teams.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm
Arsenal App wrote:
That pendulum swings annually and sometimes several times in a single season. Right now (today) the SoCon is at #12 in RPI and the Belt is at #17 in RPI. The difference between the two is 0.047. The SoCon is #14 in SOS. The Belt is #16. The difference is 0.005. Both are mired in the direct middle of the pack of 32 leagues. There's little more than a coin-flip between them statistically.

Another way to say it is that ETSU's back and both Furman and UNC-G are up at the same time. Meanwhile, stAte, UALR, UTA, USA and LaLa are all down in the same season.

One graduating class and one recruiting class will shake it all up again. Mobility is upward and downward.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm

As an example of downward mobility and how fast it can hit, take the Big South. UNC-A had three straight 20+ win seasons through last March '18. In April, they lost their head coach. In May, they lost their best-all-time senior class. Today, UNC-A is 2-15 and the Big South is down to #28 of 32 in RPI and #32 of 33 in SOS. Ouch!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 pm

In 16 of the past 22 seasons, the Sun Belt has finished ahead of the Southern in RPI but the pendulum appears to have swung somewhat towards the Southern as they have lead the past two years. This tells me that the Sun Belt historically has been the better league although not by much. Most years the team that won the Southern would have probably won the Sun Belt too or at least finished Top 2 or 3. Agree that we had better rivalries during our SoCon days but there's no reason why we can't develop decent rivalries with the likes of GSU (already there in football), GaSt, and Coastal. We could also schedule a few SoCon schools every year for old times sake. Hell, anything would be better than the likes of Milligan, Howard, and Mars Hill.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Doubt we will ever see basketball rivals like we had with DC,ETSU,WCU,FU....back in the day. We would travel to their place and vice versus,weekends or weeknights.At this point I would just like to put a decent team on the floor.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:01 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm
As an example of downward mobility and how fast it can hit, take the Big South. UNC-A had three straight 20+ win seasons through last March '18. In April, they lost their head coach. In May, they lost their best-all-time senior class. Today, UNC-A is 2-15 and the Big South is down to #28 of 32 in RPI and #32 of 33 in SOS. Ouch!
If we think there is limited hope for the future we only have to look as far as UNC Asheville to see we can turn a corner. Not only did UNCA lose Coach and several seniors, they routinely had significant transfers. Dating back to Eddie Biedenbach and Coach Nick McDevitt, UNCA seemed to have a “reverse Duke” strategy. They did an amazing job of identifying huge potential talent, guys who did not get signed by Major programs. I’ve assumed that these kids were told “come to UNCA and if you get a better offer, we’ll let you go”. Dwayne Sutton, starts at Louisville and scored 17 against UNC, and Dylan Smith, starter at Arizona, both transfered from UNCA. Previously Keith Hornsby transfered to LSU and started, and Andrew Rowsey transfered to Marquette and started. If UNCA can get that type of talent, we certainly can. We just need to identify them, find a coach who can coach, and keep them as we win.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Hornsby’s dad was much more talented.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”