Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UTC

Kgfish
School: Appalachian State

Re: UTC

Unread post by Kgfish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 pm

asumike83 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:I NEVER NEVER NEVER want to hear about Houston's loss at Furman back in 2007. This is the lowest point for Appalachian basketball since Press Maravich, and at least he had a good reason.
How do you figure this is worse than the early 2000's? We are 7-9. We went 11-20 in 2000, 10-18 in 2001 and 9-21 in 2004. All three are worse than any season under Capel.
The SoCon was 1000 times better back in those days. Only three team in the conf with winning records and one a single game over .500. Out of 33 DI conferences SoCon RPI is 27th.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 pm

asumike83 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:I NEVER NEVER NEVER want to hear about Houston's loss at Furman back in 2007. This is the lowest point for Appalachian basketball since Press Maravich, and at least he had a good reason.
How do you figure this is worse than the early 2000's? We are 7-9. We went 11-20 in 2000, 10-18 in 2001 and 9-21 in 2004. All three are worse than any season under Capel.
For starters, the cupboard was bare following Rufus' death, the mid-June jump by scuzz, the drug expulsions to two starters and a horrible five-and-eight rule per the NCAA that kept us from being able to recover. Once that five-and-eight rule was lifted, things got noticeably better. This team has none of that. Just inept leadership that was put in place by someone who would rather see chapel hill 2.0 on our mountain.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Kgfish wrote:
asumike83 wrote:
The SoCon was 1000 times better back in those days. Only three team in the conf with winning records and one a single game over .500. Out of 33 DI conferences SoCon RPI is 27th.
Maybe so in 2004 when we were 19th of 32. In 2000-01 we were 22nd of 32. In 2001-02, we were 23rd of 32. Not all that much better and we won 11 and 10 games.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm certainly not happy about tonight, and understand the frustration, but I'm not ready to give up on this team. After the horrible beginning of the season, this team has shown some real character to come back over the past 7 or so games (before tonight). Even tonight, before the meltdown, they were playing well enough to hold a significant lead. It's not good to see that kind of meltdown, but I'm not ready to fire everyone in sight just yet.

Let's get ready for the next one. Go APPS!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:38 pm

:roll: Here we go again. Last year, we let DHampton loose for an uncontested layup to win the game in the Roundhouse. This year, we let DHampton have an unguarded jumper to send the game into OT in the Roundhouse after coughing up a 19 point lead in six minutes. What does it take for Capel to get it and put somebody on Hampton?

I've had quite enough of inCAPELble basketball.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm

We deserve better than Jason Capel.

ASU2416

Unread post by ASU2416 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 pm

The people wanting to give up on this team now are the same people who gave up in December, then hopped back on during this streak. Tonight stings, but we'll be alright. Still 13 games left, so a lot of basketball left to be played.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Samford's win over WCU tonight puts them in first place. We could have shared that with them with a win.

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 pm

hapapp wrote:Samford's win over WCU tonight puts them in first place. We could have shared that with them with a win.
We can secure that with a win over them in our next game. That's what makes this thread so awesome. Freaking out even though we can still be winning the North Division by the end of the week. It's nice to have expectations for your team.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:53 pm

AppinVA wrote:
asumike83 wrote:
For starters, the cupboard was bare following Rufus' death, the mid-June jump by scuzz, the drug expulsions to two starters and a horrible five-and-eight rule per the NCAA that kept us from being able to recover. Once that five-and-eight rule was lifted, things got noticeably better. This team has none of that. Just inept leadership that was put in place by someone who would rather see chapel hill 2.0 on our mountain.
Didn't all this start with a mid-April jump by Scuzz? I just don't think that blowing a huge lead to fall to 7-9 is worse than having two starters expelled for drugs and a 10-win season.

If we let this keep us down the rest of the season then yes, I will agree that we are early 2000's bad. We'd been playing better basketball over the last few weeks and for the first 34:00 of this one. If the team bounces back and goes 1-1 on the road trip, all will not be lost. UTC is always a house of horrors for us, we haven't won there since 2007.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:58 pm

asumike83 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
asumike83 wrote:
Didn't all this start with a mid-April jump by Scuzz? I just don't think that blowing a huge lead to fall to 7-9 is worse than having two starters expelled for drugs and a 10-win season.

If we let this keep us down the rest of the season then yes, I will agree that we are early 2000's bad. We'd been playing better basketball over the last few weeks and for the first 34:00 of this one. If the team bounces back and goes 1-1 on the road trip, all will not be lost. UTC is always a house of horrors for us, we haven't won there since 2007.
I'm sorry, but the football lollipop guild had some solid ground to stand on. Here, it's quicksand, at best.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm

AppinVA wrote: I'm sorry, but the football lollipop guild had some solid ground to stand on. Here, it's quicksand, at best.
Blowing the lead was pathetic. Just because I don't think snapping a 5-game winning streak in humiliating fashion makes this the worst time for ASU basketball in 40 years doesn't make me a member of the "lollipop guild". We've got a lot of work to do but I'll reserve judgement until I see how the season plays out.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Post game from Tevin Baskin:

Tevin Baskin ‏@TBask23
Wanna apologize to y'all ... we let one get away tonight ... shouldn't have happened ! very tough loss to handle

Tevin Baskin ‏@TBask23
The good thing about this is we're back in action in less than 48hrs #AppStateBasketball.

Saturday will be VERY telling.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:05 pm

asumike83 wrote:
AppinVA wrote: I'm sorry, but the football lollipop guild had some solid ground to stand on. Here, it's quicksand, at best.
Blowing the lead was pathetic. Just because I don't think snapping a 5-game winning streak in humiliating fashion makes this the worst time for ASU basketball in 40 years doesn't make me a member of the "lollipop guild". We've got a lot of work to do but I'll reserve judgement until I see how the season plays out.
True, because we should be back in the top 25 within a week or two.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 pm

This about sums up the season so far.......

AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 pm

AppinVA wrote:
asumike83 wrote:
Not everything has to be a hyperbole. There is a huge area in between the top 25 and the worst time in the history of ASU basketball. At this point, we are what you'd expect a 7-9 team to be: mediocre. We could get better or we could get worse but it remains to be seen.

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Speaks to leadership on the road. 2 wins on the road.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:51 am

asumike83 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
asumike83 wrote:
Not everything has to be a hyperbole. There is a huge area in between the top 25 and the worst time in the history of ASU basketball. At this point, we are what you'd expect a 7-9 team to be: mediocre. We could get better or we could get worse but it remains to be seen.
Okay. Got it. Everything's just peachy

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:50 am

AppinVA wrote:
asumike83 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
asumike83 wrote:
Okay. Got it. Everything's just peachy
No, but it's far from the worst time in program history. You complain about inconsistencies and such while sporting a signature of a man who did plenty of underachieving in his day. We gave Fancher 9 seasons and he finished 1 game over .500 for his career with a few teams that should have made the dance but failed. This is Capel's 3rd, and he has plenty of time to turn it around. This isn't football where you get one game a week to prove your worth.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:25 am

Gonzo wrote:We deserve better than Jason Capel.
Do we?
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”