Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Basketball - Black and gold team....rest of the season.

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Basketball - Black and gold team....rest of the season.

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:14 pm

I would like to see us play with two squads....A gold squad and a black squad. Let the seniors play together and the rest play together. Some or our younger guys have to be tired of watching one player throw up prayers. We have very good players that are capable. One player ruins the chemistry. Let the young players start building their chemistry for next year. My bet is the team without the one does quite well.

I am not giving up on this season...I think this will give us a better chance to win. (and maybe open some eyes to the problem)

Arsenal App

Re: Basketball - Black and gold team....rest of the season.

Unread post by Arsenal App » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:00 pm

The team might be better off next year losing eight seniors. There is such a thing as addition by subtraction.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm

Fire Fox , promote Allison.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:19 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm
Fire Fox , promote Allison.
Let's suppose we go on a bit of a run under Allison. What then? You know there will be a section of our fanbase who will want to keep Allison as our full-time head coach. It's another dilemma.
Last edited by Arsenal App on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm

You evaluate him , top to bottom.No better way to do that than live fire and the cost is zero. If he has it turned in the right direction including keeping our recruits, give him his shot. And oh yes , nothing on this earth is permanent.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm
You evaluate him , top to bottom.No better way to do that than live fire and the cost is zero. If he has it turned in the right direction including keeping our recruits, give him his shot. And oh yes , nothing on this earth is permanent.
That's a good answer but I would still have a problem giving the job on a full-time basis (I'll avoid using the word permanently) to a coach who has been part of the chaos in our basketball program the past five years. Plus, you would have a divided fan base regarding Allison right from the beginning.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 pm

True. I think we are approaching the abyss, ready to try about anything my friend.

AppMom3

Unread post by AppMom3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:27 pm

This is the most ridiculous post. You think those seniors don’t care you are crazy. Easy for an armchair coach who has probably never played at any high level to make a totally ridiculous statement. If you had any idea the work that it takes to play at a division 1 level, you don’t just stop caring, You do it because you love the game and you play for your teammates. I’m sure they are frustrated and beside themselves with the way the season is going. I know they worked very hard over the summer and fall to move the program forward and do well this year. They want the alumni and students to support them and they know they have to win to get people in the stands. Instead of nasty remarks about “kids” maybe try to support them. I for one am not giving up on these senior. OR Younger players for that matter. It is sad w all ridiculous comments on this page. We all wish it would be better but dang support the student athletes vs trying to tear them down.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Somebody got told!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:26 pm

The thing about posts like this is that it makes the rest of us who wants change look bad. It gives ammo to those still in the bunker to lash out.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:12 pm

AppMom3 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:27 pm
This is the most ridiculous post. You think those seniors don’t care you are crazy. Easy for an armchair coach who has probably never played at any high level to make a totally ridiculous statement. If you had any idea the work that it takes to play at a division 1 level, you don’t just stop caring, You do it because you love the game and you play for your teammates. I’m sure they are frustrated and beside themselves with the way the season is going. I know they worked very hard over the summer and fall to move the program forward and do well this year. They want the alumni and students to support them and they know they have to win to get people in the stands. Instead of nasty remarks about “kids” maybe try to support them. I for one am not giving up on these senior. OR Younger players for that matter. It is sad w all ridiculous comments on this page. We all wish it would be better but dang support the student athletes vs trying to tear them down.
I apologize if this was aimed at me....I did not mean to imply the seniors had given up. I know they work hard and hope the season ends with a huge run. I will continue to support and watch every game and pull hard for any and all App players.

AppMom3

Unread post by AppMom3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:27 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:12 pm
AppMom3 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:27 pm
I apologize if this was aimed at me....I did not mean to imply the seniors had given up. I know they work hard and hope the season ends with a huge run. I will continue to support and watch every game and pull hard for any and all App players.
You weren’t the only one, I’m sorry if I came across aggressive but a large number of posts about the basketball team goes down a very snarky, attacking path. This post put me over the edge as I got to the link from twitter. You think those kids don’t see that. They are already struggling and probably feel the weight or the world for not meeting expectations so far this season. Ask for change, question what is going on but you don’t have to attack and make it personal to the coaches and especially the student athletes. They love App and want to make their school and Alumni proud and give them something to cheer for....even “the one” you mention is a good kid who I truly believe would give up points to see this team successful.

I appreciate you apologizing and trying to explain

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm
That's a good answer but I would still have a problem giving the job on a full-time basis (I'll avoid using the word permanently) to a coach who has been part of the chaos in our basketball program the past five years. Plus, you would have a divided fan base regarding Allison right from the beginning.
At this point, it'd be great to have a "good run" and a dilemma.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 am

The guys have been playing basketball for years. They haven't forgotten how to play, they just aren't being allowed to make changes they see need to be made during the flow of the game. If they vary even slightly from what Jim has set in his mind he pulls them and they don't get back in.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 am

To Appmom & others....I agree and thanks for posting. We all have to be mindful of these kids. None of us want any of our players to think we aren’t supporting them.

Having said that, I think that’s why this is so difficult. By all accounts, these are great kids who have done well in school and are who we want representing ASU. AND I think the prevailing thought around the fanbase is they probably are better than what their record shows. That is why so many of us want to try a different direction. It seems like we need someone else to lead these guys and create a different atmosphere for the program to reach that potential.

Boonesock_Daints

Unread post by Boonesock_Daints » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:56 pm

I think the single biggest factor is buy in. I believe we have some good talent, I believe everyone involved is working hard, and I think that any scheme can work. Most X's and O's have been proven to work by someone somewhere. However, without "buy in" and a belief in what you're doing then you aren't going to go anywhere. I think at some point everyone was probably bought in, including this year, but when you're losing it's hard to keep believing in the things that the leader is feeding. At this point I don't think that can be changed without a change. There's a huge difference between expecting to lose and expecting to win. Those mindsets are miles apart yet the answers to closing that gap is sometimes very basic. However, that's easier said than done!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 pm

I would like to see DG have each of the players come and talk to him one on one , very soon. I think he would quite enlightened.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm

With no disrespect intended to anyone, anywhere:

Which will happen first- the government shutdown ends or MBB wins a game?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Send Fox to build the wall

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:40 pm

It's really not a ridiculous idea. Dean Smith used to run a Blue and White Team in the 70's. Midway through the first half, all 5 starters would be subbed out and the reserves "Blue" would come in and play with energy for 2-4 minutes. Then, the starters would return and finish the half strong.

What it would accomplish:
1. Chemistry is built with the second unit.
2. At least 10 players get meaningful minutes at key times in the first half.
3. The opponent is worn down, while the starters get some rest. Then, the starters can finish the half out strong.
4. The starters could regroup, just like offenses and defenses do in football.

At this point, why not? He's not talking about benching the starters, just sharing some minutes via wholesale substitution.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”