Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ga Suthin game

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ga Suthin game

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:55 am

There is a nice buzz around the athletic program in Boone thanks to Football, DG needs to capitalize on the good regional/national PR surrounding the program and try to lure in a good ambitious coach that won't settle for getting whooped and living in the football team's shadow.
The Appalachian State

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:15 pm

Gillin has done a tremendous job this far overall, but I think he could have handled this one better. Couldn’t the extension been for 1 year and ended in March or april instead of 2 years and in July? Doesn’t make sense for it to end in July when our season will be over in March no matter how good or bad we do.
That being said, I feel confident DG will get a solid BB coach in place to finally lead us out of the hole we have been in for the last 8 years or so

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:59 pm

If only Doug had listened to me last year....

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:59 pm

It doesn't matter what Gillin decided to do, or what he decides to do now. Someone will believe he could have handled it better. That's the nature of the job. He's doing a fantastic job in my opinion. The Fox extension certainly didn't work out the way I hoped and I imagine Gillin feels that way also. It was a calculated gamble, but in my opinion it was the right call. Fox had us (or appeared to) on the brink of success and he deserved a chance to carry the ball across the line. Unfortunately, looks like the play was a no gainer.

Seems that some are wanting to cut Fox loose right now. I don't see that buying us anything at all. The meat of a search won't go anywhere until after the season anyway because the candidates we want are currently engaged with other successful programs. Remember.....we value commitment here at App State, right? Coaches generally aren't big on running off for an interview just before the home stretch and potentially de-railing a good season. Any early steps of the search can be done with Fox still in place. I'd wager that, if Gillin plans to let him go, those steps are already underway.

Some folks just want to see someone getting fired because is seems like someone needs to get punished for this season. I don't think a late season firing moves us forward as a program.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:09 pm

At this point he should finish the season ,however at mid-point he could have been let go and the season somewhat salvaged. Perhaps Allison could have proven his worth. That was my position then but the ship sailed on , until it sank. The multi year extension was clearly a mistake,there was no justification for it.I was ok with a year but he had shown nothing to prove he deserved more.Nothing. If you remember the late timing of the extension reportedly cost us our top recruits,a double negative,Doug screwed up. It happens.Now it’s up to him to fix it. If Fox is not fired the week after our season mercifully ends ,then it means we have what we want, or have just given up.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:16 pm

I disagree with the statement that he had done nothing to deserve the extension. That statement is only true if the only thing you consider is W/L column. I get that that is important, but he brought the team back from APR perdition and increased the talent level. He had an incoming class (including transfers) that looked like they would be difference makers. It's hard to be too hard on a coach when he doesn't have the horses. This is the year that excuse really went away, though. Coming into this season, it looked like we were prepped for success and that's not "nothing."

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:24 pm

We have 4 games left and they are all winnable. Just like all the other games we've lost, they have been winnable, with the exception of maybe St. Louis and Purdue. I think cutting bait now and giving Allison the duty gives us the best chance of making the most of these remaining games and getting us into the SB tourney. And start the coaching search in the interim, if it isn't already in process.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:16 pm
I disagree with the statement that he had done nothing to deserve the extension. That statement is only true if the only thing you consider is W/L column. I get that that is important, but he brought the team back from APR perdition and increased the talent level. He had an incoming class (including transfers) that looked like they would be difference makers. It's hard to be too hard on a coach when he doesn't have the horses. This is the year that excuse really went away, though. Coming into this season, it looked like we were prepped for success and that's not "nothing."
I respect that and you make some valid points ,but again it’s the length of the extension that concerns me the most.He earned a year maybe. I agree with you about the talent, “the horses” .I’ve been around the program for more than five decades and I think we have more overall talent than perhaps any squad sans one ,that being DJ Thompsons senior year. I think we have more depth this year than that one. Therein lies my frustration.We have the horses to finish in the top half of the league ,if not better .We don’t do the “ teachable” things well enough to win.Thats on the teacher. We are going to find out how important men’s basketball is to the leadership at App soon.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm

The buyout is for less that one year's salary so the extension length doesn't really matter. And it helped recruiting. Win-win in my book.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:51 pm

If it’s any consolation, Danny Kasper was kept at Texas St this year after some abysmal seasons and his squad has been in first place in the belt this entire season. I remember someone on this board mentioning that their decision to keep him was the most perplexing of all in the conference after Scott Cross at UTA and several others were let go.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:10 pm

I haven’t seen the contract but I was , perhaps mistakenly, under the impression it was a staggered buyout. As to helping recruiting , I was told that the delay in the extension being granted last year resulted in us losing our top two targets. I have wondered though if those weren’t negotiating tactics .

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:02 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:10 pm
I haven’t seen the contract but I was , perhaps mistakenly, under the impression it was a staggered buyout. As to helping recruiting , I was told that the delay in the extension being granted last year resulted in us losing our top two targets. I have wondered though if those weren’t negotiating tactics .
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... _14_18.pdf
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:38 am

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm
The buyout is for less that one year's salary so the extension length doesn't really matter. And it helped recruiting. Win-win in my book.
You are assuming that the recruits we’ve signed don’t ask out of their LOIs after we fire the staff they committed to.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks. The buyout appears to be a bargain at this point.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 am

an additional 200k to relieve him of duties seems like a rip off considering the quality of coaching he has performed during his tenure here

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:36 am

Stonewall, I do agree with what you said in the above post, that he has the “horses.” I have been around the program for four decades.... man I’m not bragging about being old though, anyway to me this is the most talented team Fox has had in Boone. He spent the first half of the season figuring out who to put in when. It takes time to blend the young with the old and the varied talents together. In the last 40 years we have had far worse talent. To me he gets credit for quality recruiting and another season to break in to the top third of the league.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:36 am
Stonewall, I do agree with what you said in the above post, that he has the “horses.” I have been around the program for four decades.... man I’m not bragging about being old though, anyway to me this is the most talented team Fox has had in Boone. He spent the first half of the season figuring out who to put in when. It takes time to blend the young with the old and the varied talents together. In the last 40 years we have had far worse talent. To me he gets credit for quality recruiting and another season to break in to the top third of the league.
I admire your patience and perseverance but a leap from the bottom to the top third of the conference doesn't match the current trajectory. This season should have at least matched last year, and it hasn't come close. After almost a decade of losing ugly, I'm afraid there's not enough free pizza to generate excitement for watching this movie again. I mean the thought of it being next November and running it up on Milligan and Mars Hill and then blowing one to ECU or fill in the blank, is pretty bleak. Our new normal is hoping to make the Sun Belt Tournament, and there is something really wrong with that.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:00 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58 pm
AppFan11 wrote:
I admire your patience and perseverance but a leap from the bottom to the top third of the conference doesn't match the current trajectory. This season should have at least matched last year, and it hasn't come close. After almost a decade of losing ugly, I'm afraid there's not enough free pizza to generate excitement for watching this movie again. I mean the thought of it being next November and running it up on Milligan and Mars Hill and then blowing one to ECU or fill in the blank, is pretty bleak. Our new normal is hoping to make the Sun Belt Tournament, and there is something really wrong with that.
Exactly.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
We aren't old , until we think we are. He has had 5 years to figure things out, but I respect your thoughts. I see us as chronic underachievers ,mainly because of our lack of sound fundamentals, which comes back to teaching .I'm ready to try a different route.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:25 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58 pm
AppFan11 wrote:
What he said!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”