Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ga Suthin game

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ga Suthin game

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:56 pm

We returned 78% of our scoring from last year and 73% of our rebounding. This is not a inexperienced team. There is no reason for this team to be last in the conference, a worse position than we were last year. We are losing 43% of our scoring off this year's team. Why should we assume that while losing more scoring from this year's team than from last year, that next year will put us in the top third of the league with the same leadership?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:40 pm

app97 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:51 pm
If it’s any consolation, Danny Kasper was kept at Texas St this year after some abysmal seasons and his squad has been in first place in the belt this entire season. I remember someone on this board mentioning that their decision to keep him was the most perplexing of all in the conference after Scott Cross at UTA and several others were let go.
That " Danny Kasper doubter" would have been me. I'm not a Kaspar fan. The guy is the "legendary" former coach at both Incarnate Word (NAIA in his era) and Stephen F. Austin (D-I in his era). He comes from the Billy Tubbs and Gene Iba coaching trees. He was recruited away from Nacogdoches to Tx State with a wad of oil-stained $$$$ 'cause of his seven 20-win seasons and an always-packed arena with the Lumberjacks. In his first five seasons in San Marcos, he had one winning season and thousands of empty seats. Last season, the last year of a five-year contract, his team sprinted out to a fast start and then proceeded to lose 18 of their last 19 games. (How can you be that bad?) The lone win in that 19 game stretch was as the ninth seed in the Sun Belt Tourney. :roll: A Law of Averages win.

There's no way his contract gets renewed--right? Wrong, it was renewed. He rewarded his AD with a prime recruiting season and his team--right this minute--is 22-6, 11-4 (SBC). Now, Kaspar's a genius!

My beef with the guy is that he has earned a rep for coaching an ugly and hard to watch brand of b-ball. That, in turn, makes his opponents play sloppy, ugly b-ball. I detest ugly play. That was his legacy in San Marcos until this season when he may have three or four all-conference players in his rotation. What a difference talent makes!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:05 pm

I’ve seen Texas State play parts of half a dozen games or so .In my opinion they have no more athleticism than we do , in fact I would contend less. What they don’t do , generally , is beat themselves. Again , my observation .

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:05 pm
I’ve seen Texas State play parts of half a dozen games or so .In my opinion they have no more athleticism than we do , in fact I would contend less. What they don’t do , generally , is beat themselves. Again , my observation .
Yep, they appear very beatable and have pulled out lots of very close games. But, they play defense and they win on the road, 2 things we are terrible at right now.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:12 am

Kaspar got 20 wins and to the Sun Belt finals two year ago, then had a regressuin last year. He didn't just start winning this season.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:14 am

Regarding the contract, it's written in there that Fox has to actively seek new employment to mitigate the buyout if he's terminated without cause. It's a very employer-friendly terminaion clause and more than makes up for the length of the deal.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:56 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:12 am
Kaspar got 20 wins and to the Sun Belt finals two year ago, then had a regressuin last year. He didn't just start winning this season.
True statements, but misleading upon a closer look at his Tx State record updated through midnight. Six-year overall record of 96-94 (WP of .505). Six-year Sun Belt Conf. record of a not-so-hot 47-61 (WP of .437). Two winning records in six seasons. Those darned Fun Belt games keep gettin' in his way.

He's a very clever scheduler of cupcake OOC teams like Rice, Hardin-Simmons, Houston Baptist, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Texas A&M-CC and other teams of that ilk to keep his overall record ever so slightly above water.

What the hey--still far better than our current situation. :(

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:52 am

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:42 am

asu66 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:56 am
T-Dog wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:12 am
True statements, but misleading upon a closer look at his Tx State record updated through midnight. Six-year overall record of 96-94 (WP of .505). Six-year Sun Belt Conf. record of a not-so-hot 47-61 (WP of .437). Two winning records in six seasons. Those darned Fun Belt games keep gettin' in his way.

He's a very clever scheduler of cupcake OOC teams like Rice, Hardin-Simmons, Houston Baptist, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Texas A&M-CC and other teams of that ilk to keep his overall record ever so slightly above water.

What the hey--still far better than our current situation. :(
Yeah, we scheduled two MEAC teams and three sub-D1s (plus ECU, who’s as much a cupcake as Rice), and we see where that got us.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”